Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Hardware unit

bigandbadwolf
KVRer

1 post since 19 Jan, 2017

Postby bigandbadwolf; Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm Hardware unit

Have you thought about making a hardware amp with all your amps on it? I seriously think this competes with or surpasses the kemper, axe-fx, and bias units. It could connect to an external cab or use your recabinet functionality and impuses with an frfr speaker. I think it would sell really well. Keep up the good work!
Kazrog
KVRian

820 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:15 pm Re: Hardware unit

I appreciate the thought and the kind words. I've toyed with the idea for many years, but it always comes down to a few things:

• Entering the hardware business requires substantial up front investment/risk/headaches. I know some incredibly talented and experienced people who could help me with such an endeavor, but I wouldn't want to waste their time either...
  • Existing solutions are "good enough." One of the very experienced (for decades), industry legend types that I am fortunate to know through a mutual friend asked me the question "How do you compete with good enough?" I still don't have a good answer to that question.
  • My plugins are able to sound how they do because I push Intel CPUs hard - it's a total brute force approach, for obsessive tone geeks who don't want compromise. As Steven Slate demonstrated spectacularly yesterday in his keynote about his new Virtual Recording Studio, Intel CPUs absolutely crush any embedded DSP platform I'm aware of, by orders of magnitude. If I were to release a hardware unit, I would have to compromise the sonic quality substantially.
  • I'm really not that into guitar hardware anymore. Once upon a time, when I was playing live shows often, I had a lot of ideas for hardware, but at this point, the whole landscape has changed, and I haven't played live at all in a few years. I just don't feel like I'm that in touch with the needs of the modern performing guitarist honestly.

So, I'm sticking to the software side of things for the foreseeable future. I have a lot of new stuff in the works, beyond just the 10 new plugins announced today. I'm really excited about the future.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
gonwild
KVRist

31 posts since 2 Aug, 2014

Postby gonwild; Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:06 am Re: Hardware unit

Kazrog wrote:[*]My plugins are able to sound how they do because I push Intel CPUs hard - it's a total brute force approach, for obsessive tone geeks who don't want compromise.

good thing my new PC build has the new Kaby Lake i7 ;-) Hard on the wallet, but the old SandyBridge has done its job, and is now spending retirement in the livingroom mediacenter. Time has come for Intels 7th gen to show what it can do.
Topeznor
KVRist

204 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:19 pm Re: Hardware unit

Kaby Lakes are around 25% faster than Sandys, which is actually pretty terrible considering they are 4 generations apart.

But yeah, more power doesn't hurt :)
egbert
KVRAF

3858 posts since 20 Oct, 2001, from my bolthole in the south pacific

Postby egbert; Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 pm Re: Hardware unit

Topeznor wrote:Kaby Lakes are around 25% faster than Sandys, which is actually pretty terrible considering they are 4 generations apart.

Sandy, Ivy, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake and Kaby Lake makes 5 generations by my count. Either way, the lack of improvement for CPU intensive applications like we DAW users have is pretty shitty.

Trouble for guys like us is that Intel has devoted most of the new silicon to graphics and while they could be selling 8,12 and 16 core DSP crunching beasts to the masses for 300 bucks they don't wanna - Intel sells up to 20 cores into the server market for $$$.

AMD's Ryzen will bring the cores and the per cycle efficiency and could potentially upset that little scam. Intel will be forced to compete.

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog