Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Chimp EQ

A_Gruesome_Discovery
KVRist

77 posts since 27 Nov, 2003, from Boston, MA

Postby A_Gruesome_Discovery; Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:24 am Chimp EQ

Question about the Chimp's EQ section: the '62 Champ has just one knob, but the Chimp model has the whole Bass/Mid/Treb set. From where were the frequencies derived? A later Champ model, another Fender amp, or were they ear-balled? :)
It sounds great, and I'm using it in a tune right now (and actually I give it a bit of a treb-boost, so I'm glad those knobs are there!), just wondering what those reference since the Vox and Supro models keep their limited knob sets.
Kazrog
KVRian

858 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:15 am Re: Chimp EQ

It's based on measurements taken from a friend's '62 Champ, which sounds great in a terrible way or terrible in a great way.

The bass and mid controls are taken from the Bassmensch model. If you run the bass and mid controls at their default middle setting (5.0), and just use the treble control alone, you'll get the behavior of the '62 Champ unmodified. I just found the model was more useful with some more control over it, whereas the Vox and Supro sound a lot better intrinsically and don't benefit from the mod.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
A_Gruesome_Discovery
KVRist

77 posts since 27 Nov, 2003, from Boston, MA

Postby A_Gruesome_Discovery; Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 am Re: Chimp EQ

Kazrog wrote:It's based on measurements taken from a friend's '62 Champ, which sounds great in a terrible way or terrible in a great way.

The bass and mid controls are taken from the Bassmensch model. If you run the bass and mid controls at their default middle setting (5.0), and just use the treble control alone, you'll get the behavior of the '62 Champ unmodified. I just found the model was more useful with some more control over it, whereas the Vox and Supro sound a lot better intrinsically and don't benefit from the mod.

Excellent; I love how thought-out these are. That's exactly what I've been doing; bass 5, mids 5, treb 6.2, perfect. I never thought I'd be obsessing over clean/mid-gain tones, yet here we are :D

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog