Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
GrabtharsHammer
KVRist

202 posts since 7 Apr, 2016, from B√ľnde, Germany

Postby GrabtharsHammer; Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:52 am Finding the right balance between Amp Gain and Overdrive Pedal

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you find the right balance between the amp (sim) gain and the overdrive pedal gain/volume. Any tips?

For example - I'm currently using Thermionik Marshland 800 and TSE 808 or PA's greenscreamer (should be replaced by one of Kazrog's new plugins on Monday...). Palm mutes begin to get a little muddy with the Marshland when Gain is set to 10 o'clock although overall saturation and sustain are still lacking. So I add one of the overdrive pedal emulations to increase saturation and tightness. But I am still a little unsure about finding the right balance between the tubescreamer emulation's gain and volume knobs and the Marshland's gain. How do you guys dial in the right balance?
Eleventh
KVRist

279 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby Eleventh; Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:09 am Re: Finding the right balance between Amp Gain and Overdrive Pedal

I usually keep the tube screamer drive knob pretty low, so the attacks don't get mushy. The pedal's output is just clean gain I think? So it doesn't matter if you use that or the amps input gain to drive further (AFAIK).
Vasya Mishchenko
KVRist

68 posts since 1 Aug, 2014

Postby Vasya Mishchenko; Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:05 am Re: Finding the right balance between Amp Gain and Overdrive Pedal

^ This. And I normally use my ears for that matter lol. Just set the drive to 0. Play around with tone and volume/gain knobs on the pedal. Good luck!
Topeznor
KVRist

203 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:04 pm Re: Finding the right balance between Amp Gain and Overdrive Pedal

Drive = 0
Tone, Level = Start from 50% and tweak to taste.
Jotunbjorn
KVRer

2 posts since 27 May, 2016

Postby Jotunbjorn; Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 am Re: Finding the right balance between Amp Gain and Overdrive Pedal

You could try decreasing the tube screamer's input gain for extra clarity.

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog