Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Eleventh
KVRist

279 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby Eleventh; Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:52 am Phasing when using Wet/Dry blend (REAPER)

First of all, I think this is a REAPER only issue, caused by it rounding the plugin delay compensation to a full block size, and this isn't taken into account by the plugins. Same thing happened with the KClip oversampling issue some time ago (not sure if that's fixed yet).

I've noticed this before but as I haven't really used the blend function, I couldn't be bothered with further investigation. However, the newest update claims to fix the issue:

Kazrog wrote:From the manual in progress, for version 5.0.5 guitar FX:
[*]Fixed plugin delay compensation issue that caused wet/dry signal phasing during blending.[/list]

Well, I decided to do some testing and noticed some strange things happening.

For reference, here's the clean impulse (light blue) overlaid with a simple zero-latency saturation (yellow):

Here's Vintage Driver at 100% wet. Still nothing special here. The slower rise time of the waveform is normal for a circuit emulation plugin I think. 7 samples shouldn't cause much problems when blended with wet/dry.

But here's a GIF where I toggle a 30% mix (to balance the peaks) Vintage Driver through quality 1-6.

There's a significant difference with the dry and wet peaks, and in oversampled (buffered) modes the dry peak is shifted backwards in time.

The plugin reported latency values change accordingly (I'm using 128 samples of audio device buffer):
0 - 64 - 32 - 16 - 32 - 16

Other strangeness:

Thermionik Blackverb, 100% dry, quality 1 (8spl latency)

Thermionik Blackverb, 30% dry, quality 1-6

Also, Recabinet 5 now seems to report zero latency, instead of 1*buffer. However, here's Recab 5, 30% wet, Dyn ON
The impulse itself naturally adds a bit latency and it varies, but with every impulse I tried there was at least ~18spl added latency between the dry and wet peaks, when the Dynamics was ON.

So, at the moment I wouldn't advice any REAPER peeps to use the blend function until this is fixed.
Kazrog
KVRian

793 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:17 am Re: Phasing when using Wet/Dry blend (REAPER)

Thanks for the detailed feedback, and excellent GIFs! Out of curiosity, what tool are you using to make those?

You are right - this issue isn't present in other hosts, where similar testing was conducted. I'll look into this further, and (if needed) reach out to Cockos for any suggestions they might have.

Again, thank you so much!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14171 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 am Re: Phasing when using Wet/Dry blend (REAPER)

He used LICEcap for the GIFs :)

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog