Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Bass sound?

PeteSq
KVRer

5 posts since 6 Mar, 2015

Postby PeteSq; Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 pm Bass sound?

Now that we have ie. Bass Director & Amped bass. How do you build your bass sound with Thermionik?
PeteSq
KVRer

5 posts since 6 Mar, 2015

Postby PeteSq; Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 am Re: Bass sound?

Ok, Maybe I should have been more specific... =)
I guess the convention is that a bass is copied as two parallel paths and combined into one bass track. The first is DI and the other "amped" for growl.

Where do you put Kazrog plugins?
A) The Bass director in DI and Amped bass/recabinet in other, or
B) is DI just plain and either Bass director or Amped bass/recabinet in amped track?

Currently I am combining the plain (and low) DI with (well hi-passed) track with Bass director & Recabinet (SVT cabinets). It sound fine but what great options do I miss?
Zydraka
KVRist

52 posts since 3 Aug, 2015, from U.S.

Postby Zydraka; Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am Re: Bass sound?

Too bad there aren't more tutorials on this type of stuff. I would like to know how to craft a good bass tone as well. I was going to buy the amped bass plugin but I couldn't get it to sound right in the mix with any of the recabinet bass IRs and I tried about every one. I can get the bass director plugin to sound better with minimal effort but I still end up using the free SHB plugin from Ignite Amps most the time because it just seems to sit better in the mix without throwing other plugins and EQ at it. Lately I've been liking the bass tone from the band Tesseract but I don't have the slightest idea how to get there.
Kazrog
KVRian

820 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 am Re: Bass sound?

You have to really look into how bass tones are achieved on the records you like. There are so many approaches, actually, and most of them aren't as simple as amp into cabinet as we do for guitars. I should do a video tutorial at some point...
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 am Re: Bass sound?

PS - basically, look up Adam "Nolly" Getgood from Periphery, and study his approach. I think he's got some of the best tone for modern metal, or really for any style period.

I do like Amos' playing quite a bit as well, and if you like his more "let the bass be a bass" style of approach, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEhU-MseG4
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 am Re: Bass sound?

In a DAW, what this means is you need to duplicate your bass DI track, and high pass filter it going into a distortion. It could be the Bass Director, or anything else really (*cough* Duality 2ch *cough*) - perhaps even without a cabinet sim, but with a post EQ as needed. Blend that with a clean compressed DI.

There are no rules - experiment. Bass can be challenging, but I've always gotten good results myself when I've duplicated the bass track and treated different parts of the frequency spectrum differently.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Eleventh
KVRist

284 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby Eleventh; Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 am Re: Bass sound?

Kazrog wrote:PS - basically, look up Adam "Nolly" Getgood from Periphery, and study his approach. I think he's got some of the best tone for modern metal, or really for any style period.

f**k yeah :lol: don't much listen to Periphery, but Nolly is a champ!

I wish someone would reverse engineer this :)

https://soundcloud.com/nolly/dingwall-afterburner-abxxx

Probably need a Dingwall for that tone though...

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog