Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

CPU for Thermionik

StateOE
KVRer

26 posts since 1 May, 2010, from Han's Island

Postby StateOE; Sat May 27, 2017 3:27 pm CPU for Thermionik

Hey there Shane,

What is the most important factor in a CPU to take full advantage of Thermionik, i.e., to run at the highest oversampling rate with Depth engaged? Would clock frequency be more important than the number of threads, or maybe another factor altogether? Yes, I'm actually thinking of building my next PC around Thermionik haha!

Thanks very much, and All the Best!
Kazrog
KVRian

867 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 pm Re: CPU for Thermionik

In short: any i7 class CPU should be up to the task - just make sure it's Intel. Clock frequency per core matters most.

I'm flattered that your next build has been inspired by my plugins. 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
StateOE
KVRer

26 posts since 1 May, 2010, from Han's Island

Postby StateOE; Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 pm Re: CPU for Thermionik

Awesome; thanks Man. I had read in Sound on Sound that frequency is what you go for with plugins in general clock, but really, I'm mainly using my current PC as a guitar amp, not as a studio, so I'd rather build around Thermionik first, since it's the most essential part I mainly do with audio. It sounds like Thermionik is similar to other plugins in this regard, so I would be helping audio processing in any context with higher clock frequencies. I'm not at all surprised by the recommendation to stick with Intel; I had read a post from you about Intel CPUs being superior to DSPs for audio, so I'm keen to give that a try. My Frankenstein PC has an old AMD that struggles, so I leave Depth disengaged. When I build my next one, I'm excited to start using the Depth control; I've heard the difference with high latency, and that is enough for me. Nothing else that I do takes much power, but it's worth it to me for tone!

Thanks again!

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog