Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Kazrog
KVRian

853 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm KClip 3 - Feature Requests

So, I'm in the earliest stages of development for KClip 3, and while I have quite a few ideas, I'm curious as to what is most important to you guys.

Here are a few things I've thought of that could be cool:

• Multiband (4 bands is probably enough)
  • EBU metering (LUFS)
  • Resizable window with more useful visualization
  • New distortion modes
  • Threshold for even more gain capability
  • Mid/Side processing

So, I'm wondering if any of these seem redundant or pointless, especially the metering aspect, as there are so many good meters out there, and making the meter even remotely competitive with dedicated meters will take a lot of development time.

As with all of my plugins, I try to keep things simple. If there are any features you'd add/remove here, let me know. This is a chance to influence the future of the product, because honestly, I can't pretend to know what's best for everyone - and I also don't want to fix what isn't broken.

Thanks! 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14651 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:04 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

This might be an unpopular answer, but I'd like to see more amps and stomps for Thermionik instead. :D

(On topic, I will reinforce your feeling of not needing to delve too deep into metering.)
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

EvilDragon wrote:This might be an unpopular answer, but I'd like to see more amps and stomps for Thermionik instead. :D

I have some in the works.

EvilDragon wrote:(On topic, I will reinforce your feeling of not needing to delve too deep into metering.)

About 70% of DAWs already have said metering built in, today, and I'm sure the rest will come on board as well. Also, the loudness wars are ending, so while KClip still remains a useful tool for narrowing dynamic range and catching possible overages elegantly, where I think its future utility lies is on tracks and buses as an all-purpose distortion/saturation unit.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Michael L
KVRAF

1647 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

I suggest only Multiband with Q. It can then be more specific, e.g. to 'limit' LF energy & peaks, with less overall effect. If you add distortion, it can be more specific too.
"As the artist goes deeper into his own thing, he learns what works and then needs fewer tools."
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14651 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:55 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

It would also be useful to have it do mid-side, and definitely resizeable GUI, why not.

Kazrog wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:This might be an unpopular answer, but I'd like to see more amps and stomps for Thermionik instead. :D

I have some in the works.

YAY! :D
pekbro
KVRian

978 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

How about an output for the clipped material? You might use it to
drive external envelope followers, or route it to another track for alternate
processing. Potentially you could design a track to intentionally clip usable
or interesting material.

Would this make sense in a clipper? UA's "G8" has a reject feature, and I find it
pretty interesting.

-Cheers
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:14 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

pekbro wrote:How about an output for the clipped material?

Interesting idea. Would be cool to explore and see if there's any use for it.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
The-Zeronaut
KVRer

19 posts since 27 Dec, 2008

Postby The-Zeronaut; Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

+1 for the LUFS metering
it would be cool if you included some kind of line/guide/marker/warning/whatever
that could be set as a spotify/youtube/itunes specific LUFS settings
3ee
KVRAF

3508 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Postby 3ee; Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:34 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

On the clipped to separate output idea...

Would be interesting to have at least a 'delta' botton like in the TDR dynamics plugs to check out the difference between the processed and unprocessed signal.
Jotunbjorn
KVRer

5 posts since 27 May, 2016

Postby Jotunbjorn; Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:56 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Does KClip color the sound even when not clipping? Like if I want to use the Tape mode just for color?
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Jotunbjorn wrote:Does KClip color the sound even when not clipping? Like if I want to use the Tape mode just for color?

In Smooth mode, no. In the other modes, yes. 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

3ee wrote:On the clipped to separate output idea...

Would be interesting to have at least a 'delta' botton like in the TDR dynamics plugs to check out the difference between the processed and unprocessed signal.

Great idea! :tu:
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:17 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

The-Zeronaut wrote:+1 for the LUFS metering
it would be cool if you included some kind of line/guide/marker/warning/whatever
that could be set as a spotify/youtube/itunes specific LUFS settings

That's sort of what I'm thinking, too - setting a loudness target. It really matters, and isn't always easy. Sometimes we still want less dynamic range, but we want to achieve a specific target, and that can take multiple steps when it can (and should) be simplified.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Eleventh
KVRist

296 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby Eleventh; Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:37 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

A proper visualisation of the clipping threshold in relation to the audio waveform. (see attachment)

I'd really appreciate a GUI with a peak VU on the right side displaying the real-time amplitude, and on its left side, an equally scaled, flowing waveform histogram which displays the threshold indicator and the post-clipping waveform. (or also the pre-clipping wave but dimmed in the background)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pekbro
KVRian

978 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Another more general, and longterm FR for me would be an effect rack, or chainer type
plugin specifically for Kazrog's product line. For me it would streamline things greatly.
Right now, theres a lot of stuff to wade through to get to what you want. Presets
for a rack would be quite helpful.

Seems to me something like this would lend itself to Kazrog's modular paradigm
very well.

Thanks for reading...

-Cheers

*I suppose you could make a KClip 3 "Rack" edition as well, that would be slick.
Next

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog