Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Harry_HH
KVRAF

2515 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki

Postby Harry_HH; Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Kazrog wrote:So, I'm in the earliest stages of development for KClip 3, and while I have quite a few ideas, I'm curious as to what is most important to you guys.

Here are a few things I've thought of that could be cool:

• Multiband (4 bands is probably enough)
  • EBU metering (LUFS)
  • Resizable window with more useful visualization
  • New distortion modes
  • Threshold for even more gain capability
  • Mid/Side processing

So, I'm wondering if any of these seem redundant or pointless, especially the metering aspect, as there are so many good meters out there, and making the meter even remotely competitive with dedicated meters will take a lot of development time.

As with all of my plugins, I try to keep things simple. If there are any features you'd add/remove here, let me know. This is a chance to influence the future of the product, because honestly, I can't pretend to know what's best for everyone - and I also don't want to fix what isn't broken.

Thanks! 8)

I´ve had the KClip2 now few months, the main thing I wish would be considered in the planning of KClip3 is, (not suprisingly)

- how to decrease the heavy CPU with higher oversampling values.

I know this is much discussed earlier, and the ver.2 introduced different "modes", some less CPU-heavy. But I will have both high quality AND moderate CPU-load, in the online-use. And no artefacts.

An other thing is a new "mode", planned for a bit different purpose than what is the KClip main area. Namely, I use limter quite often in my master bus during the mixing to protect my ears (and speakers). For this kind of use the limiter should be as transparent and possible, and almost zero effect for the CPU. The limiter has the react immediately to the peaks. I use often Live 9 factory limiter for this purpose.
I have tried here different limiter, I own several high quality limiters. KClip2 is too CPU-heavy, and what is important, in the online-use it easily creates some artefacts (!).
So, a "Mix Protection -mode" for the KClip3?

I include an article where some limiters are tested, this test is rather narrow and has limited focus, but may be useful for some evaluation.

https://www.saintpid.se/en/isp-true-peak-limiters-test/
Alphacodex
KVRist

241 posts since 17 Sep, 2006

Postby Alphacodex; Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Harry_HH wrote:
Kazrog wrote:So, I'm in the earliest stages of development for KClip 3, and while I have quite a few ideas, I'm curious as to what is most important to you guys.

Here are a few things I've thought of that could be cool:

I´ve had the KClip2 now few months, the main thing I wish would be considered in the planning of KClip3 is, (not suprisingly)

- how to decrease the heavy CPU with higher oversampling values.

I know this is much discussed earlier, and the ver.2 introduced different "modes", some less CPU-heavy. But I will have both high quality AND moderate CPU-load, in the online-use. And no artefacts.

An other thing is a new "mode", planned for a bit different purpose than what is the KClip main area. Namely, I use limter quite often in my master bus during the mixing to protect my ears (and speakers). For this kind of use the limiter should be as transparent and possible, and almost zero effect for the CPU. The limiter has the react immediately to the peaks. I use often Live 9 factory limiter for this purpose.
I have tried here different limiter, I own several high quality limiters. KClip2 is too CPU-heavy, and what is important, in the online-use it easily creates some artefacts (!).
So, a "Mix Protection -mode" for the KClip3?

I include an article where some limiters are tested, this test is rather narrow and has limited focus, but may be useful for some evaluation.

https://www.saintpid.se/en/isp-true-peak-limiters-test/

As much as I'd like lower CPU load I dont think there is a way to doy oversampling faster right now. If you calculate everything on double the precision it will most likely take double the time. Unless audio programmers find some faster alternative algorithms (similar to Anti-Aliasing in the graphics domain), I fear we have to live with that CPU load. However even in the graphics domain the faster algorithms always come at the price of lower quality, nothing can really beat super-sampling (which is conceptually the same as oversampling in the audio domain) and we have the same problem here - double the pixels to render double the time...
Alphacodex
KVRist

241 posts since 17 Sep, 2006

Postby Alphacodex; Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

I dont know if Eleventh's request already included that idea, but I'd love the graph to be interactive, so I can just grab the threshold-line and set where I like the plugin to start working.
Also I really love the idea that the "after" wave is overlayed over the "before" wave in a different color...

Is there already a teaser? I already pre-ordered full of trust in your products ;-)

Cheers,
Codex
Kazrog
KVRian

748 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:25 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Teasers and more info soon...
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
cturner
KVRist

270 posts since 7 Dec, 2009, from GWB

Postby cturner; Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:22 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Just wanted to say that multi-band and mid-side would be enough new features for me. I’m not looking for more!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net
Vortifex
KVRian

706 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Will it still be low latency after the update to 3? I like Kclip 2 because of its simplicity and low latency, and am hoping all the new features won't change that too much.
GrabtharsHammer
KVRist

253 posts since 7 Apr, 2016, from Bünde, Germany

Postby GrabtharsHammer; Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Audition Clipping option to listen to the difference between the input and output signal.
cturner
KVRist

270 posts since 7 Dec, 2009, from GWB

Postby cturner; Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

GrabtharsHammer wrote:Audition Clipping option to listen to the difference between the input and output signal.

+1 The Airwindows Clipper has this and it’s very useful.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net
frthib
KVRist

65 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Postby Eleventh; Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:37 am
Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests
A proper visualisation of the clipping threshold in relation to the audio waveform. (see attachment)

Adding to that idea : a grabable and draggable threshold point on the visualisation
frthib
KVRist

65 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Kazrog wrote:I suppose in a world where another company can charge $49 for a 3-knob overdrive pedal emulation, anything is possible...

We don't know what are the sales volume on those BTW ;)

Not sure it's a mega hit. An "Orange" distortion at 49$ when the hardware one can be bought for +-30$ on ebay... hmm no thanks :hihi:
Jotunbjorn
KVRer

9 posts since 27 May, 2016

Postby Jotunbjorn; Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 pm Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Cascade function would be cool.
Kazrog
KVRian

748 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:20 am Re: KClip 3 - Feature Requests

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I should have closed this thread a while ago, as the product spec for KClip 3 was complete some time ago. Most of the things mentioned in this thread are already in the current internal beta.

After KClip 3 is released in early 2018, I'll start a new thread for any feature requests beyond the 3.0.0 release.

Thanks! 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Previous

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog