Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
The-Zeronaut
KVRer

20 posts since 27 Dec, 2008

Postby The-Zeronaut; Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm Shane, What is your most "balanced" amp?

I´m a big fan of the philosophy that the cabinet/mic affects 85% of the tone and the amp itself just 15%.
So even with real amps and recording with a mic I will have every eq knob at noon and move the mic until it sounded good and THEN start messing with the knobs to fine tune it.
Same with amp sims with everything at noon I will start going through my impulse collection until something sounds good and then start from there.
Choosing the right impulse (or mic position/cabinet choice IRL) matters more than using a 5150,a Diezel or a Rectifier... IMHO.

Discovering Thermionik has make me seriously doubt ever needing to buy a kemper or an axe fx in the future (and I´m a really big fan of both)

So which amps (or specific amp channels) in Thermionik would you say are the most "balanced"?

I know the 5153 50w blue channel on the axefx II is very famous for this reason. Because just loading it up at default settings the eq curve will be pretty balanced/flat and its great to choose IRs even if later you decide to change the amp model because you can better hear the "flavor" (curve eq) differences of every cabinet/speaker IR.

Sorry for the long post XD

P.S: Thanks for the free serpent amp!!
Kazrog
KVRian

867 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 pm Re: Shane, What is your most "balanced" amp?

It's a hard question to answer because any answer I can give is potentially misleading. If people think the 5150 3 50W blue channel is balanced, then I guess the Psycho C's blue channel in Thermionik should be fairly similar?

Technically, one of the most balanced amps by far is actually the Bassmensch, as it's based on a very simple circuit. But it's probably not what you're looking for sonically since you're bringing up some very tight high gain models into this discussion.

FWIW, I actually think the Psycho B and FB100 are among the most "neutral" feeling of the high gain models. However, that's a relative term - no guitar amp (or model thereof) is truly neutral. If you want absolute neutrality with tube distortion, try Tube mode in KClip, actually.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14870 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 pm Re: Shane, What is your most "balanced" amp?

Tight high gain: Framus Cobra.
Kazrog
KVRian

867 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 pm Re: Shane, What is your most "balanced" amp?

EvilDragon wrote:Tight high gain: Framus Cobra.

Absolutely. However, it has a bit more low end presence than some others mentioned, so I think of it as being darker and less neutral. Of course, these are very relative terms, as no guitar amp has a linear frequency response.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog