Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
guitarjon
KVRer

11 posts since 11 Dec, 2011, from Netherlands

Postby guitarjon; Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 am Thermionik vs Amplitube vs Kemper vs Axe FX vs Helix vs S-Gear: Mesa Boogie MKIV

Time for another gear emulation comparison!

This video is all about comparing the Mesa Boogie MKIV emulations in the following platforms (in no particular order):

Thermionik
Axe FX/AX8​​
Line 6 Helix (Native/LT)
Amplitube 4 (Mesa pack)
Axe FX
S-gear

Those were all the platforms of which I am aware that they emulate the MKIV amp.
Most of them did a very good job but I have a few favorites.

Thermionik is definitely in my top 2!
I think it sounds absolutely great and I loved dialing the tone in since it was so easy to work with.
The only notable difference I can think of is that the Thermionik amp maybe has a little more information in the low mids.
I guess those differences can also be present because differences of the actual physical amps each model was based on.
Anyway, GREAT work Kazrog!

Of course I'd love to know which one you though was best so let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMdwVGxU-Vs

About the Kemper clip: I recognize that the Kemper example perhaps doesn't sound as good as some of the others.
Unfortunately I didn't have a MKIV here to profile so I had to rely on existing (commercial) profiles.
To keep things as consistent as I could, I chose a direct MKIV profile from a commercial vendor to be able to use the same IR as with the rest.
I had to tweak from there.
This was honestly the best profile I could find for this test.
I guess that's just a drawback of this platform sometimes since you can't ever start a 'preset' from scratch.
Kazrog
KVRian

882 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:00 am Re: Thermionik vs Amplitube vs Kemper vs Axe FX vs Helix vs S-Gear: Mesa Boogie MKIV

Great video as always! Thanks!!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
guitarjon
KVRer

11 posts since 11 Dec, 2011, from Netherlands

Postby guitarjon; Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 am Re: Thermionik vs Amplitube vs Kemper vs Axe FX vs Helix vs S-Gear: Mesa Boogie MKIV

Great plugins man! :)

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog