Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Bass response

frthib
KVRer

19 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:15 am Bass response

On the TGP thread, one post intrigued me : you comment that some VST have "almost comical bass response"..

I read about speaker impendance having an effect of the whole system EQ (notched bass at 125hz and a increase in the highs). Some IR have a tube power amp baked in the wav so the impedence curve is already present in the file, some have a neutral transparent SS power amp.

Is that impendence curve implemented in thermionik via EQ manipulation or must a "tube power amp" IR be used to accentuate the realism?

thanks
frthib
KVRer

Postby frthib; Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am Re: Bass response

Response to my own question found (answered by Kazrog) in another topic (IR vs Cab), i'll put it there if anyone is interested. I have a lot of backreading to do

jm1 wrote:
3). Does the output of an amp sim have the same impact on the cab/IR tone (speaker behavior, cab resonance, etc) of an IR as how playing an amp loud or at a low volume would?

It absolutely can and does - a good modeler will emulate the way that tube power amps couple with speakers. Also, on the speaker modeling side, if you're obsessive about accuracy, some dynamics modeling helps complete the effect (which is why I built that into Recabinet.)
Alan corns
KVRer

1 post since 3 Aug, 2015

Postby Alan corns; Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am Re: Bass response

Good read.
frthib
KVRer

Postby frthib; Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 am Re: Bass response

Found another interesting part from Kazrog in 2014 on that subject
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a variety of tricks going on in the Recabinet library that deal with the issue, to the extent to which even simplifying the explanation down to "the IRs were captured with a solid state poweramp" ignores some important secret ingredients of the process that I spent a lot of time developing. Also, the "depth" control in the power section should bring in a lot of low end resonance if you need it.

In the end, though, what one person considers a more or less "mix ready" IR may need some significant post EQ for another person. It depends on the guitar, pickups, tuning, style of playing, amp+settings, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So If get this right, if we use a IR who was captured with a tube power amp, we could active the depth knob and -lower- the depth to remove the tube eq signature stacking ?

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog