Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
xphen0m
KVRian

746 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:29 am Rectifier sims: The Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon switches

Hey Shane, glad to hear that you and your family are safe and I hope you guys had a Merry Christmas depsite all that craziness.

So I have a question about these two switches on both of the Rectifier sims in the Thermionik line: Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon.

I'm demo'ing Plugin Alliance's bx_megadual sim (which is a Rectifier) and I started messing with these same switches on there. On PA's version, there's a noticeable difference in the tone and distortion/gain when flipping them. On the Thermionik amps, I don't really hear much of a difference at all. How should one go about using them on your version?

I also have IK's Recto sims and it's the same result, though the difference is not as prominent as Plugin Alliance's. I don't know if PA's switches are too pronounced, or Thermionik's is doing it right and the difference is actually supposed to be really subtle.
Burillo
KVRAF

2761 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:01 am Re: Rectifier sims: The Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon switches

i would bet Shane has simply compensated for gain differences to allow you to appreciate the actual differences between the modes, rather than be fooled by volume differences.
From Russia with love
xphen0m
KVRian

746 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:19 am Re: Rectifier sims: The Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon switches

Well, with the Spongey/Bold switches on the IK and PA versions, it wasn't a volume difference. It was actually a difference in distortion.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16015 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 am Re: Rectifier sims: The Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon switches

There IS some difference in bass frequencies, and in response to palm mutes, from what I can tell. Tube/Silicon is a bit more obvious, but it also depends on how much Presence and Saturation you have dialed in (because that switch affects the poweramp, not the preamp).
Kazrog
KVRian

726 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:54 am Re: Rectifier sims: The Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon switches

The behavior is based on the real amps I measured. As Burillo noted, the psychoacoustic leveling algorithm I use in my plugins ensures that amp toggles shouldn't result in drastic perceived volume changes.

I can't comment on the other emulations much. Most recto VSTs are very, very far off from anything resembling the real amps in my past experience, though - almost more emulating the "spirit" of the amp than the amp itself.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
MrBongo
KVRer

28 posts since 31 Oct, 2014

Postby MrBongo; Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:01 pm Re: Rectifier sims: The Bold/Spongey and Tube/Silicon switches

bandmate got an actual Recto, or better a Roadster. It´s got these switches as well, we fiddled around with them for a while before recording, and it really is a minor difference

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog