Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Kazrog
KVRian

755 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:07 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

EvilDragon wrote:Wow, this is also a sound generator! Without any audio going into the plugin, tweaking Threshold and Mix produces glitchy/buzzy sound. I'm guessing this needs more smoothing applied, or something? Also, setting Quality to 4 or 5 creates a constant square wave sound with no audio input.

Can't recreate here in any DAW on Mac or Windows. What host?

EDIT - I've been able to make this happen under very extreme gain conditions, in some of the crazier modes (Germanium, Guitar Amp, etc.) I'll see if I can do anything about it, although this is likely the result of blending DC offset (and DC filtered) audio with dry audio, anti denormal noise, etc. You're not going to get something for nothing, in other words. However, under normal operating conditions this should be a non-issue.

PS - you may need to stop and restart playback when switching quality settings.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Thanks for the great feedback!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Burillo
KVRAF

2786 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Kazrog wrote:
Burillo wrote:are we getting those knobs in Thermionik? they look awesome! those buttons, on the other hand...

Which buttons are bothering you, specifically?

PS - Thermionik will be getting its own separate redesign.

i was referring mostly to those buttons in the upper right hand corner. they just look weird and almost amateurish. the other buttons are OK, although readability update wouldn't hurt. IMO and all that.
From Russia with love
CEF_productions
KVRer

1 post since 7 Nov, 2017

Postby CEF_productions; Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Hey Shane,

Long time user, never posted but I work a lot with this KClip2 Pro as a sound designer/composer/producer. I love it as an alternative to Oxford Inflator and found both work in a very complimentary capacity (inflator (not clipping) followed into KClip 2 Pro) for some really musical harmonics. Would you ever try doing some 'inflation-style' wave-shaping as a pre/post clip stage? Just a thought, would save me having to use 2 plugins to do one thing. I find that while I love the Tape/Tube/Pedal style disto's, I really gravitate towards the Soft/Crisp more.

Kclip 3 sounds great so far! Apart from the gremlins I know you'll work out, I have some potential requests and questions just on it's functionality.

Is there a way that we can see 'clipping' rather as red versus just showing the waveform peaks getting flattened? It's just a bit tough to see on 4k screens here, and I like how other clipper plugins (I'm sure you know which) visualize the 'clipping' on the waveform with colour so it's really obvious to see the onset of distortions when doing super transparent clipping.

Have you considered more 'AD-style' modes besides Soft and Crisp? I love the Crisp but I definitely think it'd be sweet to model a few other convertors, namely Burl, Lyra and Pure2 (which I use as my main AD/DA). I love how the Pure2 clips, but it's just a pain to have to wire it in when KClip2 is so fast :). Just food for thought.

Also I notice that 'Ceiling' in Kclip 3 behaves a bit differently to how it is in KClip2, where it seems to reduce gain noticeably while it's threshold is 'reduced', versus just adjusting ceiling threshold. I assume this to be normal operating procedure? Could you maybe clarify how this should be used? My initial thinking is it's an easy way to deal with the apparent intermodulations you're adding from the multi-band clipping. What sort of crossovers are at work to make the bands blend together?

Putting it to the test on a commercial this morning :)
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16294 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Kazrog wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Wow, this is also a sound generator! Without any audio going into the plugin, tweaking Threshold and Mix produces glitchy/buzzy sound. I'm guessing this needs more smoothing applied, or something? Also, setting Quality to 4 or 5 creates a constant square wave sound with no audio input.

Can't recreate here in any DAW on Mac or Windows. What host?

EDIT - I've been able to make this happen under very extreme gain conditions, in some of the crazier modes (Germanium, Guitar Amp, etc.) I'll see if I can do anything about it, although this is likely the result of blending DC offset (and DC filtered) audio with dry audio, anti denormal noise, etc. You're not going to get something for nothing, in other words. However, under normal operating conditions this should be a non-issue.

PS - you may need to stop and restart playback when switching quality settings.

Reaper. Just loaded KClip on a track, just tweaking the knobs, nothing playing back (transport stopped, no audio on the track at all), with default "Smooth" mode and all, but track is record armed (not for audio but for MIDI input, heh).
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:13 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Reaper on Windows is my main testing platform as well. I'll see if any smoothing helps. I wasn't able to get the noise to exceed -55.5 dB on my end.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:17 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Burillo wrote:i was referring mostly to those buttons in the upper right hand corner. they just look weird and almost amateurish. the other buttons are OK, although readability update wouldn't hurt. IMO and all that.

I was really happy with those buttons! They are part of a paid asset pack, so I can at least absolve myself of design criticism there. :lol:

I'll play around with different designs for those buttons as time permits. Definitely not a top priority right now though.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

CEF_productions wrote:Hey Shane,

Long time user, never posted but I work a lot with this KClip2 Pro as a sound designer/composer/producer. I love it as an alternative to Oxford Inflator and found both work in a very complimentary capacity (inflator (not clipping) followed into KClip 2 Pro) for some really musical harmonics. Would you ever try doing some 'inflation-style' wave-shaping as a pre/post clip stage? Just a thought, would save me having to use 2 plugins to do one thing. I find that while I love the Tape/Tube/Pedal style disto's, I really gravitate towards the Soft/Crisp more.

Thanks! I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that Inflator is a soft clipper. I've not analyzed it or anything, though - and it's been years since I used it. I'll look into it.

CEF_productions wrote:Is there a way that we can see 'clipping' rather as red versus just showing the waveform peaks getting flattened? It's just a bit tough to see on 4k screens here, and I like how other clipper plugins (I'm sure you know which) visualize the 'clipping' on the waveform with colour so it's really obvious to see the onset of distortions when doing super transparent clipping.

You can resize the plugin window using the widget in the lower right corner. I'd like to make some improvements to the new visualiser - it's definitely not where I want it to be, but it is a new beginning and is more performance friendly than before.

CEF_productions wrote:Have you considered more 'AD-style' modes besides Soft and Crisp? I love the Crisp but I definitely think it'd be sweet to model a few other convertors, namely Burl, Lyra and Pure2 (which I use as my main AD/DA). I love how the Pure2 clips, but it's just a pain to have to wire it in when KClip2 is so fast :). Just food for thought.

Yes. I'd like to continue to add more modes over time.

CEF_productions wrote:Also I notice that 'Ceiling' in Kclip 3 behaves a bit differently to how it is in KClip2, where it seems to reduce gain noticeably while it's threshold is 'reduced', versus just adjusting ceiling threshold.

Hmm, ceiling in both versions does exactly the same thing, and will null if tested in isolation. However, let's not confuse ceiling with threshold - they are two different controls that do very different things at different stages of the signal chain. Sorry for the lack of documentation - still writing it! 8)

CEF_productions wrote:I assume this to be normal operating procedure? Could you maybe clarify how this should be used? My initial thinking is it's an easy way to deal with the apparent intermodulations you're adding from the multi-band clipping.

Ceiling is simply a final stage of non-oversampled clipping at 0dBFS, which then gets its volume reduced by the amount set on the control. This exists for users who want to ensure that their regular meters (including the one in KClip 3 itself) don't go into the red, but it's strictly for that purpose and does not do anything to stop intersample peaks. If you want to know where your ISPs are - turn off the Ceiling and check your meter again, then pull the out gain down by whatever amount you're peaking at. Ceiling really just exists as a kind of old-school safety net.

CEF_productions wrote:What sort of crossovers are at work to make the bands blend together?

It's a simple 4 band Linkwitz Riley crossover.

Thanks for your input!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Jotunbjorn
KVRer

12 posts since 27 May, 2016

Postby Jotunbjorn; Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Master input and output controls would be nice for the 4-band.
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:48 am Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Jotunbjorn wrote:Master input and output controls would be nice for the 4-band.

Agreed! Working on that as well.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
frthib
KVRist

74 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:31 pm Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

When I played with the tape setting with a lower threshold I immediately recognized the weird doubled up solo in black sabbath paranoid.. I guess they satured a tape machine to add the "zipper/velcro" effect who is now 100% accessible with KClip3!

great job from the distortion master... no bug to report.
Sutnikoev
KVRer

7 posts since 24 Dec, 2016

Postby Sutnikoev; Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Great Update GUI wise. Need to go to sleep so haven`t tested it throughly yet.

First things i noticed

1) Would like "red, ghost like" waveform in the visualiser showing the gain reduction curve-waveform like i see on some pictures of Kclip3
2) When i switch to 4 bands then anything in the Quality setting other than 3 causes distortion. Lots of it. Even in ECO mode initiated, without even applying any drive,clipping etc. Just by default.

I am not hitting high Cpu so it is not my laptop causing it. I just tried it on a single track. Only a kick drum loop. No other effects, nada

Ableton 10 , High Sierra, Macbook Pro i7 quadcore 2.3ghz, 250gb SSD 16gb Ram
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 pm Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

You may have to stop and restart playback after adjusting quality, or perhaps even save/reopen the session. Looking into that still.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Kazrog wrote:Reaper on Windows is my main testing platform as well. I'll see if any smoothing helps. I wasn't able to get the noise to exceed -55.5 dB on my end.

Interesting, now it doesn't do the square wave thing when changing Quality... possibly wrong initialization on first load, somehow?

The noise/crackles doesn't happen in Smooth, Crisp, and Broken Speaker modes. All others do. If I tweak the Threshold or Mix knobs fast, it can peak at -8 dB over here...

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:34 pm Re: KClip 3 - Early Access Download

Kazrog wrote:
Burillo wrote:i was referring mostly to those buttons in the upper right hand corner. they just look weird and almost amateurish. the other buttons are OK, although readability update wouldn't hurt. IMO and all that.

I was really happy with those buttons! They are part of a paid asset pack, so I can at least absolve myself of design criticism there. :lol:

I'll play around with different designs for those buttons as time permits. Definitely not a top priority right now though.

I am fine with upper right hand buttons as well (same button as Eco, Delta and Link button).

What doesn't flatter the GUI are the +/- buttons next to the dropdown menu (in 1 band mode), the > button next to LUFS menu, and S and B buttons in 4 band mode. They look completely out of place and tacked on :(
PreviousNext

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog