Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
frthib
KVRist

103 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 am Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Love thermionik,

Will there be an update, minor or major, this year?

I heard about new amps and GUI

Anyway, :tu:
Kazrog
KVRian

776 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

No official timeframe. The next update is major, and the general theme is simplicity. Sometimes taking something complex and simplifying it is more time consuming than building something simple from the outset. This project involves a bit of both.

Of course, if I could snap my fingers and magically make it happen right this second, I would, but realistically I'll be amazed if it's out before 2019. Who knows, though? I'm not into having things take needless amounts of time either.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16596 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

In the meantime we won't be getting some new stomps/amps in current format? :)
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

There is so much amps/channel/switches/stomp combinations in Thermionik to master that 2019 doesn't look that far..

I still struggle to get out of the marshland 800 and duality. They are like a security blanket ;) (But I master them)

28 more to go/try !

thanks for the answer
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Go to Cobra and Friedman. They kick some serious ass!
pekbro
KVRAF

1871 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Tue May 08, 2018 12:17 pm Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Not everyone desires simplicity, I mostly use another IR loader over Recabinet
precisely because of this.

Anyway some of us are nerdz who enjoy complexity.

Just sayin...

-Cheers
cturner
KVRist

316 posts since 7 Dec, 2009, from GWB

Postby cturner; Wed May 09, 2018 2:28 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

And favorite cab impulses for Duality, Friedman, Marshland 800 and Cobra?
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

pekbro wrote:Not everyone desires simplicity, I mostly use another IR loader over Recabinet
precisely because of this.

Anyway some of us are nerdz who enjoy complexity.

Just sayin...

-Cheers

I was amongst those who used "other" impulse response loader. I gave Recabinet 5 a faire chance a little while ago and I kept using it.

The workflow is better, I love the integrated eq. I often use Celestion IR and they have almost no bass and too much highs. I can correct this easily with Recab

I don't know why, but the sound seem less grating. An IR loader is supposed to be neutral but I think there is many different approach and Kazrog used one who please me most. Speaker distortion is interesting, I Keep it at half.

Volume is more balanced also.

I dont like the folder navigation and the fact that if there is no IR loaded dry sound go through but it's a very well know fact. I look over those since the rest is perfect for me.
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Wed May 09, 2018 5:11 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

cturner wrote:And favorite cab impulses for Duality, Friedman, Marshland 800 and Cobra?

This would require a direct link with Thermionik amp. Since Kazrog is going with modular VST, i don't see this happening (as far as I know).

You can set up favorites in Recabinet (bottom right drop down list). works great.
egbert
KVRAF

3908 posts since 20 Oct, 2001, from my bolthole in the south pacific

Postby egbert; Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

I think the option to open up a unified "Thermionik" and select an amp/cab/FX within that environment and save your work as a preset will bring new interest to this platform. The sound is there already - my guess it it just needs to be a bit more inviting and not quite so utilitarian and roll-your-own in character. Sounds like this is what Shane has in mind so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian

550 posts since 21 Apr, 2017, from Bahia, Brazil

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

egbert wrote:I think the option to open up a unified "Thermionik" and select an amp/cab/FX within that environment and save your work as a preset will bring new interest to this platform. The sound is there already - my guess it it just needs to be a bit more inviting and not quite so utilitarian and roll-your-own in character. Sounds like this is what Shane has in mind so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

That makes good sense.
Kazrog
KVRian

776 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Wed May 09, 2018 8:28 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

egbert wrote:I think the option to open up a unified "Thermionik" and select an amp/cab/FX within that environment and save your work as a preset will bring new interest to this platform. The sound is there already - my guess it it just needs to be a bit more inviting and not quite so utilitarian and roll-your-own in character. Sounds like this is what Shane has in mind so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

That's exactly why I'm working on a major revision. The decision to break everything apart and sell individual models ended up confusing people and not working well in a business sense either. I also personally feel like I myself would find better tones more quickly in my own productions by putting things under one roof.

Look, the bottom line is that Thermionik was completely overthought. I've got perspective now. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel anymore, just make a better wheel. Other companies got the workflow aspect right (for years), and I tried to outsmart them, which ended up being pretty stupid actually. :lol:

I'm really excited about this project, and I feel it will finally be the product it should have always been.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
egbert
KVRAF

3908 posts since 20 Oct, 2001, from my bolthole in the south pacific

Postby egbert; Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Great to hear your thoughts on this Shane. More power to your arm!
Burillo
KVRAF

2831 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Wed May 09, 2018 9:48 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Kazrog wrote:

That's exactly why I'm working on a major revision. The decision to break everything apart and sell individual models ended up confusing people and not working well in a business sense either. I also personally feel like I myself would find better tones more quickly in my own productions by putting things under one roof.

Look, the bottom line is that Thermionik was completely overthought. I've got perspective now. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel anymore, just make a better wheel. Other companies got the workflow aspect right (for years), and I tried to outsmart them, which ended up being pretty stupid actually. :lol:

I'm really excited about this project, and I feel it will finally be the product it should have always been.

i guess we've come full circle, from "modular all-in-one" to "individual plugins" and back to "modular all-in-one" :D well, FWIW, i actually like this aspect of Thermionik. when i need a sound, i tend to think of it in terms of "i need a Marshall here" as opposed to "i need Plugin X", and this workflow is more immediate than trying to remember which ampsim has which amp (i rename all plugins in REAPER to represent hardware they're modeled on, so all Thermionik amps are listed as "Marshalls" and "Mesas" etc.).

my only gripe is that Recabinet is too barebones, to the point where it's harder to navigate than it needs to be.

on an unrelated note, i'd love to see what Kazrog "ideal amp" would look like :) think Brainworx rockrack's bx_666 - it's not modeled after a particular amp, but rather that is supposed to be their take on "the perfect amp".
Last edited by Burillo on Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
From Russia with love
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

So back to Recabinet 4, kinda. But hopefully more flexible GUI, where we could perhaps also see mock amp images and so on. I'm liking this!
Next

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog