Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Kazrog
KVRian

776 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

EvilDragon wrote:So back to Recabinet 4, kinda. But hopefully more flexible GUI, where we could perhaps also see mock amp images and so on. I'm liking this!

Definitely forwards, not backwards. 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

776 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Burillo wrote:on an unrelated note, i'd love to see what Kazrog "ideal amp" would look like :) think Brainworx rockrack's bx_666 - it's not modeled after a particular amp, but rather that is supposed to be their take on "the perfect amp".

Yeah, I've been kicking around some ideas for that for a few years, and I'd like to incorporate it in the next version.

As for your thoughts on modularity, ease of amp model recall etc., I'm going to really try to make this transition as painless as I can for everyone.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
cturner
KVRist

316 posts since 7 Dec, 2009, from GWB

Postby cturner; Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

frthib wrote:This would require a direct link with Thermionik amp. Since Kazrog is going with modular VST, i don't see this happening (as far as I know).

No, just asking you and Evildragon what impulses you like to use with these sims.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net
frthib
KVRist

103 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Wed May 09, 2018 11:25 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

cturner wrote:
frthib wrote:This would require a direct link with Thermionik amp. Since Kazrog is going with modular VST, i don't see this happening (as far as I know).

No, just asking you and Evildragon what impulses you like to use with these sims.

Disclaimer : These a personnal preferences

Recabinet IR are good. a mid offset 57 with a mid r121 on pretty much any 4x12 is great. I use them often. Greencab is really good as oversize.

If going outside IR vendor,

It depends, I tend to like celestions (any speaker, depend of what i'm aiming for) higain all 75% + tlm107 stereo room 25% but I boost the lows and tame the highs with recabinet EQ.. That sounds great.

Ownhammers a great too... oh-1f 4-5....(any speaker, depend of what i'm aiming for).

As of right now, I learned to capture IR and tweak them from my own cabs so I get exactly what I want. the dual sm57 phase cancelation trick to tame the highs, the proxymity effect intact.. Some commercial IR are massaged to sound preproduced, i'm not sure it's my thing after all.. I prefer to EQ them with my vision.

A neat trick Kazrog taught me is to add a little room reverb after the cabsim. (valhalla room, studio alpha, 15% mix).

So, for me (my tastes if I don't use my IR)

plexi,modded or stock : celestion greenback or t75, ownhammer greenback or the new gnr cab.

Marshland 800, celestion M65, t75, gt65, greenback, lynchback, ownhammer checkerboard greenback or lynchback

Duality - celestion v30 or ownhammer mesa v70

Psycho a-b-c ownhammer EVH or Engl V30-G12C

Bogner xtc and ogertuber, could use ownhammer bogner v30-t75, mesa v30 or engl. or celestion redback, v30

ps : i'm aware this is diluting the awesome thermionik news.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16603 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Wed May 09, 2018 11:37 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

cturner wrote:

Here's my rhythm patch with Cobra. Using 3sigma impulses. in Recab 5, speaker dynamics is at 100%.
cturner
KVRist

316 posts since 7 Dec, 2009, from GWB

Postby cturner; Wed May 09, 2018 2:00 pm Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Thanks so much frthib and Evildragon. Somehow, I never tire of hearing about these things. I’ll try them out tomorrow!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net
Bouroki
KVRist

178 posts since 16 Jun, 2013, from Morocco

Postby Bouroki; Thu May 10, 2018 3:45 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

frthib wrote:
cturner wrote:

Recabinet IR are good. a mid offset 57 with a mid r121 on pretty much any 4x12 is great. I use them often. Greencab is really good as oversize.

I put the Recab IRs off for a long time because of some generally indifferent/negative reactions to them on various forums, but then just the other day I discovered the free starter pack that comes with Recab 5 that includes the Marshall 1960 4x12 with V30 and it was instant "Holy **** this is amazing :dog: " and also instant purchase of the full pack.

I have Redwirez (it's crap), 3 Sigma (good but too hyped and can lack definition) and recently the Celestion V30's (very good!) but the Recab by far gives me the best feeling/sound as I play through it.

Shane, the marketing/presentation on the Recab IRs really needs to be stepped up, especially for newcomers to Kazrog. As a newcomer myself, the IRs on the website came across to me like just some legacy v3-v4 stuff that isn't relevant to Recab v5 anymore, so I just didn't bother. They definitely need to be more clearly marketed as THE IRs to go along with Thermionik because they really are :phones:
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Thu May 10, 2018 7:49 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

big +1 for Bouroki..

Recabinet impulses are out of sight for most ampsim users for a multitude of reasons...

They are good, simple, offer some very rare mics (Shure Unidyne 545 III for the early Iron Maiden fans!) and cherry picked (no 3000+ wav files directory, hate those) and rare and desirable cabs

funny fact : I heard the greencab was the same one used by Warrant in the old days

If you have recabinet and kinda skipped over those, try them.

The matching with Thermionik amp is more natural also (he designed them with those IR in mind after all)

cab choice :

Bogner Uberkab 4×12
ENGL Pro 4×12

Fender ’53 Deluxe 1×12
Fender ’65 Super Reverb 4×10
Genz Benz G-Flex ported 2×12
Krank Krankenstein 4×12
Line 6 Vetta 4×12 (wtf?)
Marshall 1936 2×12
Marshall 1960AV 4×12
Marshall 4×12 1970s
Marshall Hand Wired 4×12 (late 1960s reissue)
Mesa Standard 4×12
Orange 4×12

Randall RS412XLT100 4×12
Roland JC120
Selmer Zodiac Twin 30Vox AC30
Supro Thunderbolt

Maybe some infos on the cab speakers would be great of the gear nerds. Some are quite obvious, some less.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Thu May 10, 2018 8:23 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

I somehow found most Recabinet IRs quite muffled or hollow sounding. Not sure why. EQ doesn't help them. Much prefer the 3sigma ones (sorry Shane!). Guess one of these days I should give 'em another spin...
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

It's a matter of taste / artistic vision...

If 3Sigma are in your taste, you must prefer brighter / sharper tones..

That's the beauty of IR, you can shop "studio" sound engeneer / vision / equipement / recording approach easily..

My take is Recabinet are more tradionnaly recorded and suit most "classic" users. 3sigma mics are unusual and not offered by Thermionik (or any other vendor as far as I know). They mix sm57 (dynamic), MP47 (ld condenser), ATM 250de (cardioid condenser and hypercardioid dynamic capsules), U47 (condenser) and roswell aurora (large-diaphragm condenser ) so they are going for two completely different sounds (this info is avaible in the manual, I own and fully paid some of their IR). Lots of condenser mics while most "traditional" rock tend to be more "dynamic" mics.

The heavy use of condenser mic can explain why 3sigma sound is more "scooped", the highs and lows are captured way differently
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Thu May 10, 2018 9:42 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

EvilDragon wrote:I somehow found most Recabinet IRs quite muffled or hollow sounding. Not sure why. EQ doesn't help them. Much prefer the 3sigma ones (sorry Shane!). Guess one of these days I should give 'em another spin...

If you want to give recabinet IR a try, you could try a blend of

57 – based on a Shure SM57 <everybody need a solid fundation
121 – based on a Royer 121 <----- add/season to taste
i5 – based on an Audix i5 <---- focus on that one for the sound you're after! Bright and sharp
U87 – based on a Neumann U87 <--- condenser, that's what you like

with th Randall RS412XLT100 4×12 cab (brighter) : Celestion G12H100 speakers
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

frthib wrote:If 3Sigma are in your taste, you must prefer brighter / sharper tones..

I think that's true...

https://app.box.com/s/tj3k22dx63vflhpr75qm219gknf0duzt

Cobra FTW!

Another one: https://app.box.com/s/zpax65fzlg5q4pbnbwkv

This is with TSE X50 IIRC, though. Alexi Laiho does have this trebly tone anyways, not much bass there. Still, I didn't quite nail it. Missing passive EMGs, eheheh (they're shit pickups TBH).
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

I listen to your track, it's a great sound.. a little too "claustrophobic / not enough room to breath" for me but i'm old(er) ;)

For what you aim for (laiho from cob) i would investigate the sm57 very much... Their recording sound like it..

You can scoop the mesa cab oversized at 300hz and lift the highs at 4khz with the 57 to have more brightness . (alexi use a marshall btw)
Last edited by frthib on Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Alexi used a ton of amps throughout the career. 5150, Lee Jackson preamp/poweramp combo (seems to be his staple), ENGL Savage, etc. Marshall JCM800 4x12 cabs tho.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/thre ... ad.377714/

I'm not really aiming to get his tone - it is VERY specific and contextual. I'm liking my Cobra patch much more :)
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 am Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

I remember an interview with i'm saying he used a marshall JVM with the matching cab with pretty low distortion a couple years ago.. He boosted the signal with custom active electronics integrated in the body of his guitars.. He miced all that with a 57... It was for his live sound if I remember

this : https://youtu.be/c5BjFlmXHzM?t=337

6:23 he talks about amp and more

** JVM is not in thermionik. That would be a cool addition BTW.
PreviousNext

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog