Open Sound Control (OSC) is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this is awesome works great I'm gonna add the launcher to my setup for sure. I am just discovering how to use the osc stuff. I was updating a javascript file I had found but I feel like this might the better option after poking around. I am confused about where all of the oscillator addresses are listed? is there a master list or do I have open the driven by moss bitwig extension?

There is the wiki on the github repo, which lists all available messages.

Funny, I was taking my baby steps into music/bitwig this week. Actually bought a midi piano controller as well, but I'm considering of sending it back, after discovering this TouchOSC functionality. I can use my phone and tablet like this to control the macro knobs. Pretty cool.

However the instructions are a bit basic for noobs. It is said we need to configure a virtual midi channel in bitwig. How do you do that? I first tried with the midi channel of my hardware midi controller. That works. Without the midi controller connected, there's no more port to choose. When I install TouchOSC Bridge, I can select a midi channel as well, but moss said we don' t need this program. So what program do you advice on winblows 10 to create a virtual midi channel in this case.

I tried the improved template from gelabs, which is awsome. However it seems like I have one way communication going on: I can send requests from my phone to bitwig, but the device parameters don't change on the phone when I change them in Bitwig. The track and device names also remain empty. I went with the default ports (8000 and 9000), just filled in my ip address in the android app to get it working. Could this be a firewall issue?

I read a bit further, installed loopMIDI (https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) and created a virtual MIDI port with that on windows 10. There is a noticable delay though between pressing a control on the tablet and it arriving in sound in Bitwig when I use this (compared to using TouchOSC bridge, which seems faster).

And yes I kept trying and trying and what I had to do to make the android device show the parameters that I change in bitwig, is to change in the bitwig settings "receive from" and "send to" to my android device's IP address instead of the default 127.0.0.1. @moss maybe you could add that to the wiki more clearly.

@gelabs, the device knobs are a bit inaccurate to control, don't you find? Compare to the sliders in TouchOSC, where you just have to go up and down.

moss wrote:
gelabs wrote:Basically, anything which is already in Bitwig before launching the TouchOSC client doesn't update.
I looked into this and it seems to me that TouchOSC does not process OSC bundle messages correctly (or not at all). I guess it takes only the first message of the bundle. :-/
I noticed as well the TouchOSC gui is very fast out of sync with what's selected in bitwig. Is this due to the TouchOSC app? Do we need to report this then to the app maker moss?

Seems this works for multiple devices as well, amazing, just add another 'bitwig OSC controller' with the same virtual midi port, same http ports. Just change the ip addresses to your 2nd android device. I have now on my phone 12 pads and on the tablet the device view. Still needs some bugfixing love here and there but overall very cool for instance to see the selected device view being updated with the amounts of the parameters.

kdejaeger wrote:I noticed as well the TouchOSC gui is very fast out of sync with what's selected in bitwig. Is this due to the TouchOSC app? Do we need to report this then to the app maker moss?
TouchOSC (and also Lemur) have a lot of problems and the responsiveness of the develops is close to zero. :-/ I gave up on these apps.
You can try your luck.

How sad sad sad to hear that. It's always like that when I really like something :).

I checked out TouchOSC's forum (https://hexler.net/forum/viewforum/3/) and indeed there as well technical questions are not being answered enough IMO. Is that what you mean moss with no responsiveness?

So weird since they seem a bit contendor/player in this field.

I didn't find many alternatives that are still maintained, expept "Open Stage Control". Check out what somebody did for Reaper OSC integration with "Open Stage Control" :
https://github.com/ThrashJazzAssassin/REAPER-OSC-panels .

Check out the demo (in firefox): http://openstagecontrol.herokuapp.com/ with this file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Thras ... 0.1.7.json (import with the browse button). We could make our own version in this app and share layouts with json files. The project is actively maintained by 1 french developer. Claims it' s bidirectional.

Does anyone else have some other good alternatives?

I checked out openstagecontrol a bit this evening. So it's nodejs web application with an editor buildin. It checked it out in linux and windows and it works. I tested some basic things like triggering a drum button and some knobs. The good news is that bidirectional support for things like '/device/param/1/name' seem more stable then in TouchOSC. In TouchOSC, you'd select a clip or a part in the arranger and it would not update the device panel parameter names or values sometimes. In this app, those changes from bitwig to the app, at least for /device/param/1/* seems to stay nicely in sync. Multitouch with 2 knobs seems to work fine as well. The app has lot's of complicated features like cloning widgets, dynamic parameters, inheritance, css styling. Dynamic parameters for instance could be useful to change drum 'page', but moss needs to still make a trigger for that. The app also has those fancy x/y parameter stuff. So overall I think this might be worthy to spend time on. I don't understand yet if it's scalable for multiple resolutions. But hey, the developer seems pretty onto it, it' s an open source project. For me, I'm gonna sell my midi controller since this is way more powerfull. And start learning some bitwig first.

kdejaeger wrote:I checked out openstagecontrol a bit this evening.
Had a quick look and it's pretty nice. I did not quite understand if it works on iOS or not (and if yes how to install it). I guess also Android is not available.

Did you create a template for Bitwig, which you can share?

Yes, there's a build for osx: https://github.com/jean-emmanuel/open-s ... l/releases. It runs as a webapp on you osx/windows/linux/bitwig pc. From android, you go then to http://ip_bitwig:8080 through google chrome. It's a simple webapp accessable to several devices at the same time. Also nice: the gestures (for instance the tab you choose) on one device can be synced on other devices (this is a setting).

No template yet, just a quick experiment with a few knobs. Quick and dirty. I want to learn more about it's funcionalities first. My bitwig knowledge is also still close to zero. I'd like to study the existing templates for ardour and reaper more. A lot to learn from there.
A few things I noticed for instance:
- we can load a global css file in the app to make a bitwig look and feel
- we can reuse certain parts of widget containers on different tabs by cloning them (see ardour template -> mixer faders are programmed once with a dynamic variable and cloned further on, player section is also cloned on both tabs). Looking at TouchOSC template, we could clone next/previous track/device/preset.
- Multi pushbuttons component for the drums could maybe also be parameterized so it could cover all of them in one component, instead of having to make 12*8 buttons. Just an idea.

I think I could spend a few hours this weekend to make a device panel, the easiest to start with.

I like this Open Sound Control !
Quite a bit of CPU used when using with the internal gui, but headless is ok :)
Thing is, widgets are not resized according to the resolution of the tablet so we have to work at native resolution. TouchOsc is better at this.

Just a test with Device Panel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Controller Scripting”