Bitwig Developer Resources

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a nice ebook for beginners wich covers object orientated javascript in general. There is also a chapter about webbrowsers, but the main focus is on the language itself.

https://www.packtpub.com/web-developmen ... nd-edition

I'm probably not the first one, but everytime I'm looking/googling for the controller-api-documentation I end up here.

For a few weeks/months now the controller-api-doc is offline. I cant find any information in this forum about that, except the outdated link up there.

If anybody could help me please? No infos on the bitwig page, or am I blindly missing something?

Can someone add that page where you generate a unique ID as I can't find it

Here you go:
http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen
Everytime you reload the page you get a new one.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Is there any more recent “getting started” or tutorial-style documentation available than the “Controller Scripting Guide” PDF that’s available from the “Help” window?

This guide doesn’t seem to have been updated since the first release of Bitwig; it’s still using version 1 of the Controller Scripting API and it still seems to describe the old macro controls / parameter banks implementation.

It would be really nice to be able to have some guidance on how things are supposed to be done in the most recent version of the API, but maybe I’m just overlooking something?

tvdv wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:00 am Is there any more recent “getting started” or tutorial-style documentation available than the “Controller Scripting Guide” PDF that’s available from the “Help” window?
I will work on a multipart tutorial video in the next weeks, which will be on my Youtube channel. Stay tuned.

moss wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm I will work on a multipart tutorial video in the next weeks, which will be on my Youtube channel. Stay tuned.
Great! Looking forward to that. Will it focus on writing extensions, controller scripts, or both?

tvdv wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm
moss wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm I will work on a multipart tutorial video in the next weeks, which will be on my Youtube channel. Stay tuned.
Great! Looking forward to that. Will it focus on writing extensions, controller scripts, or both?
It will be a multi-part series, so let's see.

I reached out to Bitwig and they indicated the javascript method of writing controller scripts is deprecated, but there is no guide yet available for writing controller scripts in Java.

Are there any definitive resources on the new way to write controller scripts in Java? I’ve searched this forum but didn’t find much
In the desert there is nothing, and no man needs nothing.

The last post before your post links to the ultimate series to learn it... Just start watching and coding...

DuneArchitect wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:55 am I reached out to Bitwig and they indicated the javascript method of writing controller scripts is deprecated, but there is no guide yet available for writing controller scripts in Java.

Are there any definitive resources on the new way to write controller scripts in Java? I’ve searched this forum but didn’t find much
I'm new to Bitwig - and I was quite glad to discover it can be scripted with JS (decompyling Python scripts for Ableton wasn't much fun!)... but, as for JS being deprecated... does this mean that at some point there will be a version of Bitwig that no longer supports JS scripts? In which case, surely that would cause a "split" in the user community... anyone who didn't want to have to re-write scripts for java would just have to stick with current versions. On the other hand, if the intention is to continue support for JS scripts there's not much to worry about and the need to learn java would only arise if there were some new additions to the API that couldn't be accessed via JS.

AudioBabble wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:10 pm
DuneArchitect wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:55 am I reached out to Bitwig and they indicated the javascript method of writing controller scripts is deprecated, but there is no guide yet available for writing controller scripts in Java.

I'm new to Bitwig - and I was quite glad to discover it can be scripted with JS (decompyling Python scripts for Ableton wasn't much fun!)... but, as for JS being deprecated... does this mean that at some point there will be a version of Bitwig that no longer supports JS scripts? In which case, surely that would cause a "split" in the user community... anyone who didn't want to have to re-write scripts for java would just have to stick with current versions. On the other hand, if the intention is to continue support for JS scripts there's not much to worry about and the need to learn java would only arise if there were some new additions to the API that couldn't be accessed via JS.
I am not aware of any plans to drop it but who knows. There are already areas in the API which cannot be used via JavaScript, e.g. you cannot create a Color or UUID object.

My javascript script for my Fostex MixTab still runs flawless… I guess the deprecation means they don‘t add anything to the engine anymore and don‘t support it… As it still runs fine I have no obligation to port it to Java, but if I wanted to enhance it I would probably do…
For a new script I would do it in Java directly…

Return to “Controller Scripting”