Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 am New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Hi Bitwigglers!

The Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol (even if a bit dated) is still supported by a lot of devices out there. Therefore, I wanted to write a new Bitwig extension, which uses all the API goodies of Bitwig 2.0 and has some additional features to the script that comes with Bitwig.

MCU4Bitwig is part of the DrivenByMoss extension. Get it here: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

Documentation and installation instructions are available in the Wiki: https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/wiki

I also did a three part video series about the setup, using it with the original MCU and the new icon QConProX: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Kprs7UEaGD

Enjoy! :party:
elnubis
KVRer
 
9 posts since 16 Jan, 2010

Postby elnubis; Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Hi Moss,

Would you be interested in feedback on how certain controllers fair with your new script? If so, where should the feedback be sent?

Thanks,
Leon.
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

elnubis wrote:Hi Moss,

Would you be interested in feedback on how certain controllers fair with your new script? If so, where should the feedback be sent?

Thanks,
Leon.


Sure. Simply post it here.
elnubis
KVRer
 
9 posts since 16 Jan, 2010

Postby elnubis; Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Ok, I am using the PreSonus Faderport 8.

Running down the Mackie wiki guide:

Navigation – Most of the navigation tools work as expected. The 2 shift functions don’t work and there are some buttons listed that the faderport 8 doesn’t have, overall pretty good.

Display Modes – Not Applicable.

Functions – Shift and F keys present.

Assignment - All buttons present.

Automation – These all seem to work.

Utilities – All buttons that are present work.

Fader Controls – All buttons that are present work.

Edit Modes
Common – All controls that are present work ok.

Track Edit mode – Doesn’t work. The display does start on track edit mode, but the faders work as though it’s in volume mode. Once in Volume mode it doesn’t enable you to go back to track mode.

Volume edit mode – Works.

Pan edit mode – Doesn’t work. Display says please select a track.

Send edit mode – Doesn’t work. Display says please select a track.

Master edit mode – There is no master fader and no knobs.

Devices edit mode – Doesn’t work very well. There are no knobs present to control the parameters, the job wheel selects the next device and the display works but that’s about it.

Browser – Button not present.


I'm happy to help troubleshoot these issues if you're interested. The Faderport 8 is a bit different to other controllers as it uses the faders in place of the knobs so it might be better for someone to develop a custom script. If Bitwig follows through with the Python API I'll have a go at it.
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 am Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

elnubis wrote:Ok, I am using the PreSonus Faderport 8.


I read the manual of the device and it's a bit on the weird side :-) Seems to me that they using the MCU as a basis but did some additions and tweaks to make it look nicely with Studio One but with all other DAWs its more like a compromise.
What I didn't get from the manual is how plugin parameters are controlled. The PAN/PARAM knob seems to be only editing the 1st parameter. How can you select param 2-8?
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 am Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Version 2.0 is online and it supports now the chaining of up to 4 MCU compatible devices!

See the video:
https://youtu.be/oMuhfeV1aNM
elnubis
KVRer
 
9 posts since 16 Jan, 2010

Postby elnubis; Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:59 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Thanks for following up.

The parameters are controlled by the faders. If you choose the edit plugin mode the first 8 parameters of the plugin are mapped to the 8 faders. If you choose track mode, the first 8 track volumes are mapped to the faders, etc.

It does look to be a bit different than a standard MCU implementation. The default bitwig mackie script seems to handle mapping the faders ok, but your script has more functionality.
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

elnubis wrote:The parameters are controlled by the faders. If you choose the edit plugin mode the first 8 parameters of the plugin are mapped to the 8 faders. If you choose track mode, the first 8 track volumes are mapped to the faders, etc.


Could you have a look at the midi data what is sent when you activate plugin mode and also what the faders send then?
elnubis
KVRer
 
9 posts since 16 Jan, 2010

Postby elnubis; Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 am Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

I can't seem to get any midi monitoring happening when the MCU script is loaded. I can load up monitoring outside of bitwig, and inside bitwig with TomsMidiLearnController script without the MCU script active, but not when the MCU script is active.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

elnubis wrote:I can't seem to get any midi monitoring happening when the MCU script is loaded. I can load up monitoring outside of bitwig, and inside bitwig with TomsMidiLearnController script without the MCU script active, but not when the MCU script is active.

Is there something I am missing?


I simply ment to use a midi viewer or if Toms script does the monitoring job, that's fine too.
elnubis
KVRer
 
9 posts since 16 Jan, 2010

Postby elnubis; Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Here is a capture from midi-ox.
fp8.png


The track button seems to trigger the pan button straight after it. Don't know if this is by design.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 am Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

elnubis wrote:Here is a capture from midi-ox.
fp8.png


The track button seems to trigger the pan button straight after it. Don't know if this is by design.

Thanks.


But the faders always send Pitchbend, no matter what mode, right?
User avatar
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
 
4712 posts since 9 Dec, 2008, from Berlin

Postby ThomasHelzle; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:32 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

Hey Moss, just saw this - cool :-)
Congrats to another platform properly handled! :tu:
Especially since I seem to remember that you are not too fond of the Mackie Protocol (neither am I)... :-)

I tried it with the original Platform M (which I have set to the "Bitwig Mode").
Are there any special keys with that? It seems I don't have any of the keys that you use to change modes, no shift etc.?
I would happily not have "Zoom" and "Trans" buttons but use them for something else like cycling through modes.
There also is the "Mixer" button next to the Master Fader that does not seem to do anything useful with the Platform M (I don't have the Display).
It's not pressing though - I have my own script - I just wondered it that may be something worth looking into.

I have one issue so far: The knobs are strange in that they do not control Pan for each track but Volume/Pan/Send1-6 for the current track is that intended?

I guess for the Platform M it could also make sense to allow to scroll to effects tracks?

Thanks and cheers,

Tom
elnubis
KVRer
 
9 posts since 16 Jan, 2010

Postby elnubis; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

moss wrote:
elnubis wrote:Here is a capture from midi-ox.
fp8.png


The track button seems to trigger the pan button straight after it. Don't know if this is by design.

Thanks.


But the faders always send Pitchbend, no matter what mode, right?


I would think so but I can't check because I can't monitor the device with the MCU script active, and the modes don't seem to work when I monitor it outside of Bitwig.
User avatar
moss
KVRian
 
1099 posts since 12 May, 2004

Postby moss; Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:39 am Re: New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

ThomasHelzle wrote:Especially since I seem to remember that you are not too fond of the Mackie Protocol (neither am I)... :-)


Yes, but using the icon QCon Pro X makes it a little bit less painful ;-)

ThomasHelzle wrote:I tried it with the original Platform M (which I have set to the "Bitwig Mode").
Are there any special keys with that? It seems I don't have any of the keys that you use to change modes, no shift etc.?
I would happily not have "Zoom" and "Trans" buttons but use them for something else like cycling through modes.
There also is the "Mixer" button next to the Master Fader that does not seem to do anything useful with the Platform M (I don't have the Display).
I guess for the Platform M it could also make sense to allow to scroll to effects tracks?


Some good ideas, will look into it.

ThomasHelzle wrote:I have one issue so far: The knobs are strange in that they do not control Pan for each track but Volume/Pan/Send1-6 for the current track is that intended?


Are you using the latest version? This should control Pan by default.
Next

Moderator: Bitwig Mods

Return to Controller Scripting