DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Late_Bloomer wrote:I've got a Push 2 question. Is there a way to control parameters of a VST plugin without having to manually assign a parameter to a knob each time an instance of that plugin is added? If I remember correctly, I used to do it in Ableton by creating a rack and saving it as a preset after assigning parameters to various knobs. Can't figure out how to accomplish something like that in Bitwig. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Yes basically you create a device panel and save that. If you check my post a few above I have already mapped a huge number (ie all my active plugins) and posted them on Dropbox so that might get you started - instructions on how to import these in the folder. You can create these on a per device or per preset level, the former means every time you load that device it has that mapping regardless of the preset loaded, the latter only works for a specific preset (say you need a custom setup for a particular patch).

Also using the flexi script you can set it up to switch pages if your device map has more than one page (for most plugins this needs to be the case if you want to cover most of what they do) and also switch focus between devices (I made one for Komplete Kontrol but I'm sure you could do something similar for Push)

Hi moss!

I ve got a little suggestion to implent in the script IF possible.???
Ive got my behaviour of transport ( PLAY button on push) on PAUSE.
But im a little neurotic i guess when hitting start/stop/start/stop... when fine tuning a sound. :D :clown:
But when to fast,.... you guessed already, it goes to beginning of the song. (return to zero)
Maybe its possible to script that it doesnt do that? (in PREFS or something an option? )
Its not that of biggy but would really help in my world. 8)

Anyhow THNX for all the hard work again.... Im flabbergasted sometimes what you do, when im in a flow of making music. Cant live without it anymore. :clap:

Thnx in advance! :tu:

DrivenByMoss update is online!

Changes:

Ableton Push # 9.53
* Fixed: Browse+Pad in Session view did not bring up the browser dialog.

Generic Flexi # 1.1
* New: Track: Scroll Track
* New: Device: Scroll device
* New: Device: Scroll Parameter Bank
* New: Browser: Scroll Filter in Column 1
* New: Browser: Scroll Filter in Column 2
* New: Browser: Scroll Filter in Column 3
* New: Browser: Scroll Filter in Column 4
* New: Browser: Scroll Filter in Column 5
* New: Browser: Scroll Filter in Column 6
* New: Browser: Scroll preset
* New: Browser: Scroll tab
* New: Clip: Scroll clips
* New: Added indication of selected parameters
* Fixed: Relative modes of "Track Selected: Set Send X" did not work

aMUSEd wrote:
Also using the flexi script you can set it up to switch pages if your device map has more than one page (for most plugins this needs to be the case if you want to cover most of what they do) and also switch focus between devices (I made one for Komplete Kontrol but I'm sure you could do something similar for Push)
You can already switch pages with the Push scripts...

Hello Jürgen Moßgraber,

Thanks for your great work on all the controler strips. I recently got a push 1 and I was wondering if you could add some functionality the push script as follows.

Can you make the octave up and down button change the pitch of clips while in session mode? Maybe shift+ octave could change it by a half step?

When I am in the drum sequencer and hit a drum pad, the display goes into the drum machine, but it’s not clear how to get back out of this mode. I have to hit volume at the top of the controller to get back, yet the up arrow is unused. What if the up arrow took us up a level in the hierarchy, so from drum it took you to tracks. And what if that is what up arrow always did; took you up a level in hierarchy, accept in the session view, where it’s function is the same as before?

Thanks again!
Kevin

Hi, here's an idea for taking the Push to the next level.
I have already posted this to Ableton's suggestions forum and NativeKontrol forums but I'd really rather stop using Live and move to Bitwig.

This step sequencing mode would work with 4 clips on four adjacent MIDI tracks in the currently selected scene. Instead of a piano roll, the 64 pad matrix would show 4 lanes of 16 steps for simultaneous step sequencing in the 4 clips! (each lane representing one of the 4 clips). If Bitwig allows, there would be some sort of box or highlighting on screen to show which clips are being edited.

The 16 pads in each lane are lit using the colour of the corresponding clip but dimmed, with steps containing notes brightly lit and those containing automation slowly pulsing, for example. You could use the left-right arrow buttons to move to the next /previous 4 MIDI tracks in the current scene, or the up down buttons to move to next or previous scene.

Selecting a step allows you to use the encoders to define a MIDI note (with note names, not numbers) or a chord for that step, based on the chosen scale and a pool of preset chords, as well as note length, velocity and delay as usual. If we can edit the individual velocities and lengths of notes in a chord with the encoders, even better.
Per step automation of devices with the encoders would work as in Push's current step sequencer.

Copy/pasting of all MIDI events in a step should be also implemented, for example: press and hold a step and press Record to copy the data to the clipboard, hold another step and press Play to paste the data.

The buttons below the screen could be used for selecting pages for clips longer than 16 steps, etc. etc.

When selecting a step for editing, the relevant track is selected in Bitwig so that pressing Device would show you the devices in that track for doing per-step automation. This mode should not allow you to select multiple steps unless they are all in the same lane (clip).

Another improvement would be to be able to lock a selection of a step so that you can edit it without needing to hold the pad down. This is essential when working with complex automation while auditioning the clip.

The scene/quantisation buttons would work as normal for changing resolution.

By holding Shift (or Fixed Length), the top scene/quantisation button next to each of the 4 lanes will light up to show you that you can select one or more lanes for editing loop start/end and length with the encoders. These buttons will flash once the corresponding lane is selected and the display would show the name and colour of the clip as well.

This is a great way to make music with the step sequencer as you can easily create scenes with (for example) drums/bassline/lead/whatever in one go, instead of the fragmented way of sequencing clips for different instruments separately. This is how the Synthstrom Deluge does it and people are loving it...

Hi all,

I'm considering getting an Icon Qcon Pro X. This script looks fantastic.

Is it possible to select track inputs and outputs via the Qcon? Or any other Mackie Control controller for that matter.

Thanks.

Rozzer wrote:Hi all,

I'm considering getting an Icon Qcon Pro X. This script looks fantastic.

Is it possible to select track inputs and outputs via the Qcon? Or any other Mackie Control controller for that matter.

Thanks.
Changing in-/outputs is currently not possible via the API.

Shame, thanks for the answer though.

I have one Midi Controller which I need to control 2 separate Bitwig devices from.
That means I would have to create 2 flexi scripts from the same Midi source, and pin each to those two devices. (First row of 8 knobs controls device 1, second row of 8 knobs controls device 2)
But my problem is that the second flexi script always blocks the first script. So only the flexi script I add the latter will work bidirectional. The first script only sends data to the midi controller, but turning knobs on the midi controller won't change parameter values on the device.
Is there any workaround for this? This is badly needed here :(
If you need a video of the problem, let me know and i will record one.

Edit: Generic mapping is not an option due to usage of instrument selector.

cris_core wrote: When I am in the drum sequencer and hit a drum pad, the display goes into the drum machine, but it’s not clear how to get back out of this mode. I have to hit volume at the top of the controller to get back, yet the up arrow is unused. What if the up arrow took us up a level in the hierarchy, so from drum it took you to tracks. And what if that is what up arrow always did; took you up a level in hierarchy, accept in the session view, where it’s function is the same as before?
I am not quite sure what is your problem. I guess you have set the option "Auto-select drum settings" to "Channel". If this is set pressing a pad in the drum sequencer will select the matching layer channel in the drum device.
If you want to get up to the tracks again press the 7th button above the display on the Push 2 twice. On the Push 1 use the 7th button of the 2nd row.

Krooked wrote:I have one Midi Controller which I need to control 2 separate Bitwig devices from.
That means I would have to create 2 flexi scripts from the same Midi source, and pin each to those two devices. (First row of 8 knobs controls device 1, second row of 8 knobs controls device 2)
But my problem is that the second flexi script always blocks the first script. So only the flexi script I add the latter will work bidirectional. The first script only sends data to the midi controller, but turning knobs on the midi controller won't change parameter values on the device.
I guess that is related to how to the midi driver handles mutliple connections to the device (some old ones don't allow that at all). I just tried with a Kontrol 1 and had the oposite effect (the display changed with both but I could only control with one). So I guess you need a 2nd controller.

moss wrote:
Krooked wrote:I have one Midi Controller which I need to control 2 separate Bitwig devices from.
I guess that is related to how to the midi driver handles mutliple connections to the device (some old ones don't allow that at all). I just tried with a Kontrol 1 and had the oposite effect (the display changed with both but I could only control with one). So I guess you need a 2nd controller.
Found a workaround by using the Bome Midi Thru & basically mirroring the device to a Virtual Midi Port. Works like a charm :) Thanks for the clarification on the issue!

I just did a few quick tests, but at least on my computer the "Device: Set Parameter 1" does not seem to work. Parameters from 2 onwards work.

BW 2.3.4, Ubuntu 18.04, Quneo, I have CC 16 mapped to the knob I tried it with.

Taika-Kim wrote:I just did a few quick tests, but at least on my computer the "Device: Set Parameter 1" does not seem to work. Parameters from 2 onwards work.

BW 2.3.4, Ubuntu 18.04, Quneo, I have CC 16 mapped to the knob I tried it with.
You are talking about the GenericFlexi? Is it set to midi channel 1? Is your knob received in the configuration dialog?

Return to “Controller Scripting”