New thread, Modelonia 2.0 beta 32 64-bit Windows And Mac! (beta closed)

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liqih wrote:I implemented Afertouch and Channel Pressure,
but like CC they control parameters on the GUI, not modulation per voice like Afertouch is supposed to do, basically Modelonia will handle Afertouch like the simpler Channel Pressure, the parameter linked affects all voices being played
Do you mean you implemented Channel Presure and not Polyphonic Aftertouch? I'd say that's good enough. :tu: Keyboard controllers capable of sending polyphonic aftertouch are extremely rare, AFAIK.

liqih wrote:That's why some users consider the host options to custom map MIDI
per project, as I wrote:
Plugin parameters can use host automation and many hosts (like Ableton Live macro knobs, other features in Cubase MidiShaper and Quick Controls and others FL Studio) allow to map MIDI controllers to parameters in various ways, so it may be thought as a job for the host, not the plugin.
Actually is the host which provides the interface with the hardware, so I wonder why you prefer to be the plugin to take care of that
I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you're saying here, but let me elaborate a little more on this midi map thing.
I just tested two plugins: Omnisphere and Serum to see exactly how other synths manage this stuff.
Both of them behave different then Modelonia. They both let you save the CC mapping per project which is perfect. That means that in one project I might want to assign thru MIDI learning the ModWheel to cutoff filter, in other project to the Atack time of the ADSR and in other one to the pan knob. For me, this is how it should work in every synth.

Furthermore, Serum also lets you save these mapping per patch/preset. Which is awesome. So, if I make a new preset (or modify an existing one) I can assign the ModWheel for example to a certain parameter, and in other preset to another parameter. It's great.
Unfortunately, Omnisphere don't save these mappings (done thru MIDI learn) per patch, but it's no big deal, because you can use its powerful ModMatrix, and assign there the controllers to the parameters, and the ModMatrix is obviously saved with the patch. Serum can do his as well. And making the midi mapping thru the ModulationMatrix (as opposed to the MIDI learn) is way better anyway, because you have a quick overview of all the mappings and you're also able to modify things like modulation depth, direction, smoothing, bypass, etc very easily.

As I already said, the way Modelonia deals with these MIDI mappings doesn't cut it for me. I want to be able to save the assignments per preset as well as per project (or at least one of these).

Cheers

yes I'm implementing saving map per patch now, surely is better, I'd like to hear other users on this issue

The current beta has expired, I will upload a new beta release soon with more features

Cool. :tu: I'm very curious about the new features.

from the manual draft:
MIDI CCs (Control Change)
Modelonia supports MIDI CC and Aftertouch assignment for any parameter; all you need to do is right-click on a interface control, knob or slider, to bring up the MIDI CC page and fill the relative fields:
Field 1 : the CC number in the range of 0..127, or enter AT
Field 2 and 3 : the min and max values in the range of 0..127.

You must press Enter after the number input.
The controller value (MIDI CC or Aftertouch) will then be bound to that parameter.
You can enter AT ( lower case "at" work as well) instead of the CC number to have both Polyphonic Key Pressure (Aftertouch) and Channel Pressure (Aftertouch) linked to the parameter.
As note, I implemented Polyphonic Key Pressure and Channel Pressure response the same like CC, that is not modulation per voice as Polyphonic Key Pressure is supposed to do in other synths, basically Modelonia will handle Polyphonic Key Pressure like the simpler Channel Pressure, so the modulation of the linked parameter will affect all voices being played. Hence there is no difference for Modelonia if your MIDI keyboard sends Polyphonic Key Pressure or Channel Pressure messages.
Modelonia responds to Polyphonic Key Pressure and Channel Pressure in the same way. That means that the per note (pressed key) value supported by Aftertouch in some keyboards is ignored. Modulation is always applied to all playing notes.
Multiple parameters can be linked to a single MIDI CC or AT/CP.That obviously means that you can control many Modelonia parametes in different ranges at the same time, for instance using only the ModWheel or the Aftertouch.
Each preset stores its own full Midi map.

View of the full MIDI map.
The full Midi map created by the assignments can be viewed this way:
right-click on a interface control, any knob or slider or switch, to bring up the MIDI CC page, then click the "View All" button.
This is handy since when you are going to assign a CC you can check with a single click which other parameters are linked and their range of modulation.
How do I delete a MIDI link?

To clear a bound-parameter, right-click on it again, then entering -1 as CC number you will clear the parameter link.
To clear all MIDI CC assignments for the current preset use the Options menu.
Note. The macro sliders have fixed assignments, you can't currently edit that:
Gain macro linked to MIDI CC 45 by default,
XM macro linked to MIDI CC 46 by default.
All Sound Off and All Note Off MIDI messages are automatically recognized and turn the Modelonia sound off.Those are CC number 120 and 123, you should not use them for custom mapping.As stated by MIDI specifications:"Controller numbers 120-127 are reserved for Channel Mode Messages, which rather than controlling sound parameters, affect the channel's operating mode."

MIDI Program Change is supported.

MIDI program changes are supported in Modelonia. When a MIDI program change is received by the plugin via the host, the current program is changed to that having the same number, in the currently loaded bank, as that of the MIDI program change message.You can switch that way among the the first 128 presets listed numerically in the bank*.
Note. When using MIDI Program Change to Modelonia while it’s playing not all parameters can can jump to a new value silently, therefore depending on the preset selected a burst of noise may be produced,but don't worry it will not blow up your monitors.
*Remeber that you can customize the default bank, see the Presets Management section.

liqih wrote:from the manual draft:
Modelonia supports MIDI CC and Aftertouch assignment for any parameter;

Each preset stores its own full Midi map.

View of the full MIDI map.
Great! :clap: :tu:
Can't wait to try this new beta. :hihi:

Updated! New Preset Menu click on Name Display, new MIDI CC and AT mapping

http://dashsignature.com/download/Model ... beta__.zip
Windows VST 32 and 64-bit,

also included the alpha version of the new manual, please read it,
lot of new info there.

How you can help?

*please report anything, OS and DAW versions,
what it works and what it does not*

you can also help with the manual text,
asking questions for things to add, or help with the presets, make new ones, or optimize the current ones for 2.0

And tell your friend musicians about Modelonia, thanks.

Hello Luigi,

on first test works fine on Mulab. I really LOVE the sturctured preset browser when you just left click on the acutal preset. Thats really what I need to find my sound, great !!! Seems like you have buried the "explorer" idea with right mouse button. To be honest: I dont really miss it (though it HAS its pros of course in general...).

Richard

hi, i just found this thread last night.

i use a yamaha wx5/yamaha vl70m but far less vl70m over the years as i added a laptop and that took over like crazy.

still interested in PM synthesis tho so im checkin out this!!
(working on it now yeay)

Thanks Richard and Tony, suggestions to improve Modelonia playability with breath controllers are more than welcome

this thing is VERY nice.

i need a way to invert midi control on the add wave/to noise knob, i need to turn it down as i blow harder i think.

Hello Luigi,

seems to be a problem with the new beta in a special midi constellation in mulab with program change. Get the error message "Fehler on program change". It comes again and again, mulab then gets killend and all involved programs too.

The special case: I have Sundog as sequencer input for Mulab over midiloop and midi keyboard as input for sundog. So I play the keyboard to sundog, sundog sends the midi to mulab to midi channel 7 and there is modelonia getting the input from the channel. Sundog sends a program information. There seems to be the problem that modelonia cant get along with that message.

No problem with any other VST I have used, I have already send pad, bass, chords etc. this way to Mulab to other VST over other midi channels over midiloop, no problem.

Sorry for me again having similiar problem then with Tracktion and program change with Modelonia 1.7 but just cant help it.

Richard

Tony, ok it should be easy to add reverse controlling to Modelonia, wait for the next update, BTW why do you need to reverse that parameter? And do you use CC or Afteretouch?

Richard, don't be sorry, it's good news you possibly found a bug, it can be a corrupted preset you hit or a something else inside Modelonia. Some questions. Does it happen with all program change values, which means with all presets? When the crash happened , was the GUI open or close? There when other automations or MIDI CC going on, like PitchBend or ModWheel?

update 1.982

Fixed Program Change message bug, and added reverse MIDI CC possible: just enter a value for "min" higher than the value for "max",
in the MID CC page.

http://dashsignature.com/download/Model ... beta__.zip
Windows VST 32 and 64-bit,

ok Richard and Tony please let me know. Thanks

Return to “NUSofting”