Zebra 2 looks very interesting...

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the cpu usage like for the current version (and what is likely for v2) ?

I'm running an "old" Northwood P4 3.06 with 1 GB RAM and won't be upgrading anytime soon...

thanks

BC
If God did exist (and he doesn't) he would answer to the name of Maurizio

Why don't you try the demo for yourself and see? It really varies depending on the complexity of the patch...

beej wrote:Why don't you try the demo for yourself and see? It really varies depending on the complexity of the patch...
I will do later - I'm at work at the mo...just curious

Is it generally a cpu hog or miser ?

Difficult to say with a modular synth, I know...

BC

PS I notice that the v2 preview demo says it will expire around NYE 2005/6..I presume this has changed ?

Urs has noted that he is working on optimizing SSE2 code for both platforms (osx/windows).

So there may be some further speedups coming after the current builds.

It's pretty easy on my current CPU (an aging athlon 2100)... But it depends on your patch.

If I really want to bring my cpu to its knees, I'll play a a Kire supersaw patch in Vaz Modular or certain Z3ta+ patches. (Nord tunes? somthing like that?)
Last edited by Notron User on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

It's a kinda meaningless question I'm afraid - what's a 'typical' sound? A 1-oscillator no filter patch played monophonically is as light as anything else. A patch with three VA oscillators, 2 physically modelled oscillators, a handful of FM oscillators, three filters and lots of modulations going on, with long releases played polyphonically, will probably bring any current computer to it's knees.

Basically, it depends on the patch and how you use it. It can be heavy, but doesn't have to be. It can max out my Powerbook played polyphonically fairly easily, but then they aren't the most powerful computers anyway ;)

beej wrote:It's a kinda meaningless question I'm afraid
Often the sort of question you'll get out of me after 10hrs at work :wink:

And here's another one...

How does it compare functionality-wise with other modulars e.g. my beloved Vaz Modular, Reaktor 5 etc. ?

BC

i had 8 running the other night, not bad at all, no glitches or crackles.

Kriminal wrote:i had 8 running the other night, not bad at all, no glitches or crackles.
That's pretty impressive...what machine ?

Running 8 simple virtual minimoogs or something more complex ?

basic channel wrote: How does it compare functionality-wise with other modulars e.g. my beloved Vaz Modular, Reaktor 5 etc. ?
BC
For a start, I think its semi-modular. You don't have quite the same level of freedom as you do in Reaktor/Vaz. That's perfect for me though. There is enough functionality available to keep you learning for a long time.
The responses you get in here are all going to be very positive. It has now become the only synth that I use due to its versatility. Just try it out.

basic channel wrote:How does it compare functionality-wise with other modulars e.g. my beloved Vaz Modular, Reaktor 5 etc. ?
Someone else can probably answer better, as I don't have any of those synths you mention.

Zebra2 is coded really well, so it's pretty efficient. It's not trying to be super-analog or vintage, and it has it's own sound, although the sheer range of options is surprising when you dig deep into it.

It's also great fun to program, because the interface is so thoughtfully designed. Don't forget to right click on things to reveal some hidden secrets ;)

I guess it comes down to, do you like the sounds? (it comes with loads of great stuff (including a bunch of my own :D ) and do you have a good experience developing sounds and using it?

Plus there's more great stuff to come that isn't in the current preview version, like the arpeggiator for one...
Last edited by beej on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basic channel wrote:
Kriminal wrote:i had 8 running the other night, not bad at all, no glitches or crackles.
That's pretty impressive...what machine ?

Running 8 simple virtual minimoogs or something more complex ?
AMD XP3000+ 512RAM, 2 years old.

some pads, a few bits of everything really.

Incidenatally, I did a little demo thing with 10 Zebra 2's on my Powerbook (link on Zebra Pc blog thread), but that's the beauty of Logic + the freeze function.

Not a huge amount of grunt to run everything live, but freezing is a good workaround that lets you get much more performance without too much extra hassle... Depending on the parts I can run anywhere from 1 to 6 Zebra2's live at once on my little Powerbook, I guess...

Oh, the expiry thing - the current version works the same as the regular demo - after 10 minutes or so the midi notes you play are at random pitches. That's it.

thanks people

I'm now at home and have installed the demo - sounds very nice !

When's the final release due ?

Just about to leap in the bath now but hope to have a better play around with it later...if I don't :zzz: :zzz: ... :)

BC

RSN (Real Soon Now) :D

Yeah, it's quite far 8)

The performance can indeed be anything from impressive to underwhelming. I really didn't expect that sometimes people would stuff so many modules into one single patch :lol: - However, if you have an SSE2 capable machine, some patches will use up to 40% less in the final version.

Conceptionally, I call it a *wireless* modular synthesizer for good reasons. Sure, it can't do everything a true modular can do. But it's designed to make the stuff that it can do quickly accessible. Setting up any vintage-or-whatever-synth structure is an issue of 10 seconds (takes more on a Mac with a one-button-mouse).

If you wanna dig it, try making patches with just one oscillator. They've got built in effects which can often fully replace a filter, at a fraction of the cpu hunger. To some extent, each osc is a synth on its own.

Oh, I havn't updated the website or anything even though Z2 was updated twice because I enjoy the silence after all the buzz back then. This lets me actually get some work done ;)

Have fun,

;) Urs

Return to “u-he”