What's the Z2 overview ?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the market for something like Z2. But it's hard to know what's going on here, having just "dropped in". I've read various threads, but the 71 page Z2 thread is so detailed... I need an overview:

- When is Z2 for PC due out ? I was reading about it in January I think and it seemed imminent then. Is there a problem ? Will it be another few weeks, or early next year ?

- I went to download the PC demo and it says it expires Jan 1 2006 !

Is there some up to overview of what's happening and a direct link to the latest PC demo ?

The Overview:

I havn't updated the website, the download email or anything because there *was* indeed a problem: Too much feedback, too many requests, too little time left to get actual work done. That's the disadvantage of company models that are based on personal email contacts. I'm slow at writing things, even a little post like this costs me 30 minutes (well, drinking my first coffee here).

The download email links to a version that still works, but it's in demo mode. Like the original preview, it's already pretty close to the final thing. Customers can unlock it and use it in production. There are a few bugs and features missing, but none are critical.

Technically, it will be finished soonishly, when all of these features are implemented and tested:

- support for VST 2.4 - prepared
- SSE optimizations for Pc + Intel Macs - being tested, some bugfixes required
- installer + better file layout on Windows - outsourced to freelancer
- Module Presets - technically done, but awaiting new file handling for Win
- Microtuning - mostly done, waiting for Module Presets
- Smart Patches - ready for testing
- GUI layout persistance - concept awaiting implementation
- finally a keyboard control in the gui - concept awaiting implementation
- some little buttons & knobs that do various little things - 90% done

As you can see, none of these things are critical issues. If you can live without them, then the current state of Z2 can be considered final, with the expectation of some nice extras due soon. However, these little extras will make it a round product and it won't become official without them.

Most or all of the above mentioned features are more or less ready for beta testing. Once this is done (1-2 weeks from now, hopefully?), customers will be provided with the final product. It will take another 1-2 weeks to update the website, finish some tutorials (hopefully, if one of my freelancers has enough time), add final graphics to the manual. And, Zebralette (currently mag ware) will be added which is good for learning things.

So, a lot of things are going on, it makes great progress, but I won't do any marketing in terms of "Update: Cutoff knob moved two pixels to left for ultimate usability!". Instead I'll remain as concentrated as possible on the most important thing: Making it perfect.

Cheers,

;) Urs

What is up with ModFX1? Doesn't seem to work...

Also, vibrato on the Comb module has an effect sometimes, and other times has no effect... Is that just how it is, or is it not working correctly?

oh... osc and fmo both have those nice key and velocity curves... the comb which is also a sound generator does not have such curves... any plan to add them? Lovin the comb modules btw.

what is cluster? the only time I tried it it pegged the meters with a god awful screetch no matter what settings.

also, the formant filter - even a little bit of the formant control ups the gain a lot. Makes it hard to use without having to go turn the volume of everything else way down.

Can you please add polyphonic AT in the future.

Thanks for a great synth!

pdxindy wrote:What is up with ModFX1? Doesn't seem to work...
That one shouldn't have any bug. Just send me a patch where it doesn't work so I can determine the problem...
pdxindy wrote:Also, vibrato on the Comb module has an effect sometimes, and other times has no effect... Is that just how it is, or is it not working correctly?
Vibrato-not-assigned bug is fixed.
pdxindy wrote:oh... osc and fmo both have those nice key and velocity curves... the comb which is also a sound generator does not have such curves... any plan to add them? Lovin the comb modules btw.
Well, combs are a chimera between generator and filter...

The noise generators have Key/Vel Scales, too, but no gui for them currently. Might be worth considering.
pdxindy wrote:what is cluster? the only time I tried it it pegged the meters with a god awful screetch no matter what settings.
It's experimental and it's not in the official preview version, just in the "leaked" beta. It's some dsp stuff I thought about, but it doesn't deliver just yet. It won't be in the final.
pdxindy wrote:also, the formant filter - even a little bit of the formant control ups the gain a lot. Makes it hard to use without having to go turn the volume of everything else way down.
That's the property of these formant filters. They are a pretty unique algorithm that emphasizes very narrow bands. Thus you either hear nothing, or it'll be very loud, depending on the input material. Hard to tame. If I can find a better way to implement this stuff, I'll add it as an extra mode or even an extra filter.

Cheers,

;) Urs

pdxindy wrote:Can you please add polyphonic AT in the future.

Thanks for a great synth!
Fixed already.

;) Urs

What are these secret modules referred to on your website - I am thinking of buying this synth!

Manual?

Thanks Urs :) I hear so many good things in lots of threads about Zebra 2, I'm holding off buying anything else

hmmm... the preset where modfx1 was not working (and I tried everything repeatedly) now works when I activate it. If it happens again, i'll save the preset and send it to you.

There is room for another page like the more FMO page with 4 sets of key/vel scales. 2 for noise, 2 for comb. The noise can use it too for sure. I didn't mention it the first time cause I was trying not to be greedy :)

and cabinfever - I just purchased Zebra2 and though it is not the 'final' version, it is solid and functional as is. If you are waiting for the final, there is no need to wait. What is there now is more final than many shipping apps, which then come out with a v2.1 a few months later.

strav100 wrote:What are these secret modules referred to on your website
Wait and see. Nothing too serious though. Just little add ons that help learning things. It'll start out with one or two of them, and more are gonna be added in subsequent updates.

Cheers,

;) Urs

When I overwrite a preset with change to the reverb settings, it does not save.

Also, would it be possible to make a module that had something like the osc fx which could be put in the chain after the comb module? The osc fx do wider range of shaping to an osc than a shaper module can do on the comb.

The ARP is interesting, more powerful than at first glance... It has the function 'step'. Options are Next, Same, First and Last... Not clear what they do. Sometimes one or the other creates some alternating pattern with each run through?

Also, the octave control. I am used to octave doing the run through the arp, then transposing up for the next run through. This does something different where it sound like it alternates by note rather than by sequence. A moe musical choice I would say.

ARP Portamento switch is backwards. Off is on, On is off.

Return to “u-he”