u-he preset library

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

aMUSEd wrote:For Zebra presumably?
btw anyone know why Safari adds a .txt extension to that when I dl it?
It's now on the PatchLib as a .zip file.
http://u-he.com/PatchLib/presets/z2/EH-SimChoir.zip
(Thanks Ed!)

Howard wrote:Lovely patch, Ed! :tu:
Praise from the master of zebra presets... :hail:

I am flattered...
hollo wrote:Really nice Ed!

I love the clever programming too, the wavetable already very fine balanced,
(-I wonder where is coming from synth or sampling or some waveset? )
and i like the way you are modulating the wavewarp and pan :tu:

Thanks for sharing, :)
Joseph
Being a complete nerd, I knocked up a quick program to generate a wavetable from a multisampled choir I had to hand, and then hand-polished the partials in a few places. Of course, the single cycle waves took quite a bit of subtle modulation (osc stacking, detuning, vibrato) to sound anything approaching natural; I was quite proud of the subtle tuning 'swoop' if you play hard...

The wavewarp modulation caused me a bit of head-scratching! I had to resort to pen-and-paper maths :shock:

I wish I had had more time - I wasn't 100% happy with the patch, but I had to give zebra back to it's owner :cry:

This was the first time I had written a patch in about 20 years, and it has (unfortunately for my wallet, I fear :bang:) rekindled my love of all things 'synthy'.
Overall, I quite enjoyed zebra; although I would have sacrificed a body part or two for some more ModMaps and the ability to specify a negative constant in the ModMixer !

[btw, is there anywhere one can post feature requests?]

You mean 4 modmappers are NOT enough? O.o

EdHarvey wrote:Being a complete nerd, I knocked up a quick program to generate a wavetable from...
Tell me more? Mac/PC?
...and the ability to specify a negative constant in the ModMixer!
Yes, that could be useful.

EvilDragon wrote:You mean 4 modmappers are NOT enough? O.o
You're thinking of Howard's uber-Zebra... There's only 2 in Zebra Prime :(

EdHarvey wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:You mean 4 modmappers are NOT enough? O.o
You're thinking of Howard's uber-Zebra... There's only 2 in Zebra Prime :(
There are 4 in the Zebra2 public beta:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 33&start=0

Zebra 2.6 will have 4 modmappers :)

Howard wrote:
EdHarvey wrote:Being a complete nerd, I knocked up a quick program to generate a wavetable from...
Tell me more? Mac/PC?
[...]
"Being a complete nerd" could also imply Linux, of course. Or iOS, even. ;)

Howard wrote:
Tell me more? Mac/PC?
Nothing really usable by anyone else...
It was quick hack code to do that one job. It was written in C#, and run on a PC, but theoretically it could have been run on pretty much anything with the Mono framework...

I manually generated a wav file with about 4s of each sample I wanted analyse. My program then grabbed 64k samples (~1.5s) from the middle of each one and did a fourier transform to get the spectrum. Then, knowing the fundamental freq of each note, I extracted the power spectrum around each partial. Finally, it was 'reverse engineered' into single wave cycles which were then converted to h2p scripts to be read into Zebra...

Although the program produced mathematically correct results, I had to do a couple of iterations; some of single waves needed a bit of polishing to make the transitions as smooth a possible and ensure the tonal qualities were consistent.

All up, it took about an hour to get the code written and generate/polish the wavetables. Then I think it took nearly another hour to work out a way to do the wave warp modulation correctly :roll:
Howard wrote:There are 4 in the Zebra2 public beta
Yay! I'll download the beta and have a play with that, but somehow I doubt I'll be able to persuade 'she who must be obeyed' to allow me to buy it :(
(I must be a masochist, 'cos for some reason I'm itching to do some FM patches)

Seriously, I'm glad you all like it! I only posted the original audio demo because my mate (who owns the copy of zebra) badgered me to...

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the patch (especially its performance controls and general 'playability'), please feel free to PM me :)

EdHarvey wrote:
Howard wrote:There are 4 in the Zebra2 public beta
Yay! I'll download the beta and have a play with that, but somehow I doubt I'll be able to persuade 'she who must be obeyed' to allow me to buy it :(
"she who should be ignored" ;). Thanks for the story of how you made the wavetable!

EdHarvey wrote:[...]This was the first time I had written a patch in about 20 years, and it has (unfortunately for my wallet, I fear :bang:) rekindled my love of all things 'synthy'.[...]

[btw, is there anywhere one can post feature requests?]
EdHarvey wrote:[...] somehow I doubt I'll be able to persuade 'she who must be obeyed' to allow me to buy it :(
(I must be a masochist, 'cos for some reason I'm itching to do some FM patches)

Seriously, I'm glad you all like it! I only posted the original audio demo because my mate (who owns the copy of zebra) badgered me to... [...]
Ed, I hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for your next patch. It's really lovely. :) Perhaps you can convince SWMBO by arguing you plan to create a bank of patches to sell, and thus may have a good chance at recouping the initial financial cost? I would bet that many people would be willing to pay a few bucks for a larger collection of patches as good as that choir patch you posted. Oh, also forward my thanks to your mate for badgering you, please. :)

[Btw, I think posts with feature requests usually go to Improvements!]

EdHarvey wrote:Nothing really usable by anyone else...
It was quick hack code to do that one job. It was written in C#, and run on a PC, but theoretically it could have been run on pretty much anything with the Mono framework...
Any chance of releasing the code? It might give someone else some insight for a more user-friendly tool. Or maybe I just want to geek out over it. :P

A note to all ACE users: elxsound just released ACE Motion and ACE Animated for free. You can download them from the patchlib or their website:

http://elxsound.com/?page_id=331

A big thanks to elxsound for releasing over 300 presets for ACE! :clap:

As requested, here's the big pipe organ patch from the audio demos thread

EH Cathedral Pipes+ (zipped)

EdHarvey,
Thank you for the patch! :)

Return to “u-he”