'Black and White and Red' New patch bank for Zebra from 3am!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote:...

One idea I had was to create a bank of patches for MFM2 which depends on a bank of patches for Zebra. I'm still working out the details but I'm experimenting with patches that heavily use the tuned delays.

Also, what is the demand for these patches as Kore sounds (X/Ys mapped to Kore controllers and morphing)?
The combination of patches that go across the u-he devices would be very cool! That sounds like a great idea!

I don't have a demand for the patches as Kore sounds, but I've been looking into this as an option in the near future.. looking forward to what you end up with, thanks for the effort!

Kent

aMUSEd wrote:No morphing yet though - that still doesn't work in Kore 2 with Zebra (or any u-he synth/effect)
It seems I'm able to use morphing with both Zebra and MFM2. I just mapped the X/Ys to the to the first eight slots at the top of the performance, and then right clicked on the snapshots to save variations. I was able to morph from one snapshot to the next, then I saved the performance and reopened it... no problems.

Perhaps the issue is isolated to Windows?

Here is the modified performance http://www.3amnoise.net/Zebra2kpe.zip

Thanks again for your help!

I'd like a set called "Haus breaking Zebra" (though that might be associated with house music which I could not care less about) and fill it with very aggressive types of sounds. Look to Einsturzende Neubauten for inspiration.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Oh yeah, and I'd be up for Kore banks too if you can swing it!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I'd like a set called "Haus breaking Zebra" (though that might be associated with house music which I could not care less about) and fill it with very aggressive types of sounds. Look to Einsturzende Neubauten for inspiration.
(OT) Hmmm... I'm meeting Alex Hacke tonight. Maybe I can talk him into doing a set...

;) Urs

Thanks - maybe it is a Windows problem then. On my PC (and I know others have reported this) you can set up a morph but it sort of chokes as you move around the Kore squares - the sound gets all staccato and non smooth

Urs wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I'd like a set called "Haus breaking Zebra" (though that might be associated with house music which I could not care less about) and fill it with very aggressive types of sounds. Look to Einsturzende Neubauten for inspiration.
(OT) Hmmm... I'm meeting Alex Hacke tonight. Maybe I can talk him into doing a set...

;) Urs
Ts, ts, ts ... show-off !!!

:hihi:

Urs wrote:

;) Urs
Nice! I caught them in San Francisco a few years ago and they were superb. One of the best live performances I've seen in a long time. I guess Blixa lives near by. He was super charismatic and the band sounded amazing.
Zerocrossing Media

justin3am wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:No morphing yet though - that still doesn't work in Kore 2 with Zebra (or any u-he synth/effect)
It seems I'm able to use morphing with both Zebra and MFM2. I just mapped the X/Ys to the to the first eight slots at the top of the performance, and then right clicked on the snapshots to save variations. I was able to morph from one snapshot to the next, then I saved the performance and reopened it... no problems.

Perhaps the issue is isolated to Windows?

Here is the modified performance http://www.3amnoise.net/Zebra2kpe.zip

Thanks again for your help!
OK now try this. I mapped the first 2 XY squares for the Zebra patch HS Crimson Flutes to the Kore 2 morph pad - the 4 squares on the left map to the 4 quarters of the "Tone" XY and 4 squares on the right map to the 4 quarters of "Blow". I then recorded the output using Edison of first moving round the XY "Blow" normally using the mouse, then doing the same thing but using the Kore XY's. As you can hear the differences in sound are considerable - when I use the Kore pad the sound is choppy and cuts off all the time. This is nothing to do with CPU - the meter stays steady throughout.

this zip has the Kore ksd for you to test on your system and the 2 audio files:

Zebmorphs

aha - I've been comparing your performance preset with the patch I just uploaded. There is an interesting difference in the structure of the patch that seems to make a difference to the morphing. If I save it as a sound it saves the PERFORM page with the XY's mapped to morphing at the top level of the sound hierarchy whereas my patch has everything on the same level. I have no idea why but for some reason this works.

So, here is a .ksd patch based on these experiments and your performance preset with the XY morphing fully working. I've set slot A to zero position for the XY's so this could serve as a starting point for anyone wanting to morph the XY's in Kore

HS Acidophilus +

thankyou - 2 minds are better than one :)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sheesh... I never know what you're talking about... I think I have to get one of these Kore things...

Sorry Urs - the Morphing pad is basically like the one in Alchemy (only they call it the "Remix pad") - what we've been trying to do is set it up to map to the XY's on Zebra's performance tab so we can play the performance controls from that (or even better, from the Kore hardware controller). At first it wasn't working properly as the morphing wasn't smooth, unlike how it works when simply mousing on Zebra's own XY's (still not sure why). However now it is :)

Looks like what makes the difference is keeping the live performance controls and the sound design bits (modules etc) on separate levels (Kore Sounds can have multiple levels). Not sure why but it works anyway. The cool thing is in 2 days we have overcome both limitations on using the XY controls reported at the start of this thread - problem solving in action :) I now have a Kore template that can be used for sound design and performance (just download the above file)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote:Sheesh... I never know what you're talking about... I think I have to get one of these Kore things...
I wouldn't say you had to... but it sure is a big pile of fun.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
Urs wrote:Sheesh... I never know what you're talking about... I think I have to get one of these Kore things...
I wouldn't say you had to... but it sure is a big pile of fun.
I concur.

Thanks aMUSEd! I see what you are talking about now. The latest template you posted works perfectly. I've already got a few patches finished as Kore sounds. These are gonna be funner than hell when I'm done.

RE: Neubauten sounds, I think I've got you covered. Of course I'm having trouble emulating a jet engine, I did it accidentally once but now that I'm trying... you know how it goes. I met Blixa once through my Idiot Stare/STG friends. I didn't know who he was at the time (give me a break I'm 26) but he was a really nice guy with a huge personality.

justin3am wrote:I excel at making Zebra do blubbery modular stuff
That should read "blubbery modular things"!

Return to “u-he”