Sine Sine Everywhere a Sine

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmrzycki wrote:No matter what language you choose I definitely appreciate the work. I don't even mind using Octave at a linux bash prompt. ;)

Thanks!
Linux?! I thought I was the only heretic here.

Definitely leaning heavily wxWidgets now (in other words C++). Found this new (to me) IDE too: http://codelite.org

This is technically a bug fix, but is more important as a reference for future development... there is a normalization of the fft data that I removed earlier, and this did not matter as long as the number of samples sent to the fft routine was a constant for all Waves. But in the future with a possible graphical program, this number will probably not be a constant. So anyway, nothing should change (maybe a teensy bit slower) from version 1.5 to 1.6, except I have a warmer fuzzier feeling about it.

Zebra Octave Fun Pack 1.6

Here's a very rough and vague sketch of what could be:

T1, T2, etc - Various tools. At least one would probably be a "Build Zebra Script" button. Another would evenly divide an audio source into sections for each enabled Wave, essentially the same as the Octave script did (and maybe have a pre-process overlap dialog).

Green/Orange buttons - Green button means the Wave is enabled. Orange button means the markers on the audio display are visible.

Blend Type - Could also be set to Geo.

First/Last Sample - Note that overlaps are inherent in these settings.

Padding - This was present under-the-hood of the Octave script, but not changeable. Now made available here.

Zebra Wave display - How could I have forgot that? :oops: This is not the same as the audio source display seen below. Maybe put it below the OSC/Wave settings pane, and above the Status bar.

Why o why do these threads come up while I'm baking in the sun with close to no proper internet connection :-x
billstei wrote:I guess my question to Urs at this point is this:

Which of the following does Zebra do internally when processing a "wave warp" on a SpectroBlend set of waves? (Assume we are warping somewhere between Wave1 and Wave2)

1) Zebra converts each of Wave1 and Wave2 to time domain waveforms, and then interpolates between the two time domain data sets, producing a new time domain waveform, and plays that.

2) Zebra interpolates between Wave1 and Wave2 data sets in the frequency domain (i.e. using the SpectroBlend data), and then converts this new SpectroBlend data set into a time domain waveform, and plays that.

3) Zebra interpolates between Wave1 and Wave2 data sets in the frequency domain (i.e. using the SpectroBlend data), and then plays this data set using 128 sine wave oscillators and summing the result.

4) Zebra uses an algorithm so secret that if Urs told us, he would be forced to kill us, and that's bad for business, so don't ask.

5) Ask the Sims, they're smart enough to know the advantage of appearing stupid.
If you aks the Sims (5.), 1 + 2 + 3 are basically all the same. Which can be shown by 4.

Seriously, linearly interpolating between a spectrum or a waveform is absolutely the same thing. Transforming a spectrum via FFT or via 128 sine oscillators is the same thing, too. It doesn't really matter. Zebra oscillators do whatever applies and they swap between these modes as it comes. E.g. some OscFX are spectrum based, some work in the time domain. They don't really care. They don't do it per sample though, as you might have already sussed out. That's the secret. I'm coming after you now.

Following up tomorrow... :oops:

;) Urs

A few refinements. Concerning the excessive use of the color blue, I am probably going to call this program "Blueberry Blend", so it has to be that way.

Extra blueberries.

Hmmm... not nearly enough fruit in that UI. Could also do with a lot more blue IMHO.

It's a Vineyard Nodular Blueberry Thing.

Maybe I should call it "vnbt", nice and cryptic.

It's hideously beautiful, I love it. :)

bmrzycki wrote:It's hideously beautiful, I love it. :)
I was thinking of filling the bottom part of the Zebra Wave display with a view overlooking a blueberry vineyard in Italy (it'll leave you feeling 100% better).

Don't tell me they don't have blueberry vineyards in Italy -- I've never been to Italy, so I can make Italy look however I want.

billstei wrote: 3) Is someone like Jupiter8 already doing this, with the obvious advantages of having a basic framework in place?
I've thought about doing something like this for a long time. I think i even started on something for Z2 but i haven't finished it. I'm not currently doing anything similar. I ran into some problems with Java graphics which put the thing on hold. Dunno if i ever will finish it.

Right now i'm working and drinking like crazy. Sometimes both at the same time. :D

billstei wrote:It's a Vineyard Nodular Blueberry Thing.
That was worth the wait :lol:

jupiter8 wrote:
billstei wrote: 3) Is someone like Jupiter8 already doing this, with the obvious advantages of having a basic framework in place?
I've thought about doing something like this for a long time. I think i even started on something for Z2 but i haven't finished it. I'm not currently doing anything similar. I ran into some problems with Java graphics which put the thing on hold. Dunno if i ever will finish it.

Right now i'm working and drinking like crazy. Sometimes both at the same time. :D
Okay, thanks for responding.

Little update: I have a wxWidgets prototype program up and running. Maybe a third of the graphics are done (including the mandatory background image of blueberry vines etc :phew: !). Bits and pieces of the internal plumbing are working, for example I can load an audio file, and do an FFT on it (but not display/use it properly). Can't write out a Zebra Script file yet, but the Octave/Matlab code for that will transplant easily once I get something to actually write out. The biggest problem that I anticipate is I have no way of doing an OSX build. Linux (for sure) and MS Windows look doable. I'm still wondering how many people will actually use this thing...

billstei wrote: Linux?! I thought I was the only heretic here.
I too am a sinner ;-)

Return to “u-he”