Berlin Modular (ancient thread)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want this synth. NOWWWWWWWW! :D

wow!.... my 8-core and 16Gb ram are ready for this synth too.....
im waiting this fo sure! :)

From the thread next door :

http://www.u-he.com/music/test.mp3

I really like the filters! I don't know if it's just because you can audio rate mod them with anything, or the way that there's such a natural sounding progression through high res settings to self oscillation, or the effect that different 'Gain' settings has.

Q. High settings of Filter Gain seem to do something like wave shaping; at the same time it reduces the volume of filter self resonance. What exactly is Filter Gain doing?

Q. The lower filter can have negative values for Cut Off which can also be changed to Offset or Spread. What's this all about?

physae wrote:
justin3am wrote:I will say that this is possibly the best sounding synth I've ever heard (and I've used A LOT of synths).
Would that include hardware synths as well?
I don't separate hardware from software. They are all just synths as far as I'm concerned. There is something about this synth that is very conducive to making sounds that cause me to go "WOW!!!!". :!:

hakey wrote:Q. High settings of Filter Gain seem to do something like wave shaping; at the same time it reduces the volume of filter self resonance. What exactly is Filter Gain doing?

Q. The lower filter can have negative values for Cut Off which can also be changed to Offset or Spread. What's this all about?
1. The gain controls the amount of signal going into the filter. As you overdrive the input it takes up more of the filters headroom. The more headroom eaten up by the original signal, the less available for signal being fedback (resonance).

2. The Cwejman MMF1 has some filter types with two peaks (effectively, two cutoff freqs). There is one cutoff control to both peaks and a spread nob to control their separation. The Moog Lil' Phatty's filter works the same way. When you feed the first filter on Bazille to the second one, you can achieve the same kind of effect with the spread or offset. Offset controls the cutoff freq of filter 2 relative to filter 1. :)

Thanks justin.

So selecting Offset or Spread links the Cut Off of the two filters - and then Spread/Offset determines the relative position of Cut Off for the filters? What's the difference between Spread and Offset?

The fractal resonator reminds me of some filter designs in Tassman 4 as implemented by Christophe Duguesene. Cool stuff.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Urs wrote: Q: What is Berlin Modular?

A: A modular synthesizer system, no screenshots yet...

Q: What is Bazille then?

A: One modular synth within the Berlin Modular System

Q: So there will be more?

A: Yes, I sure hope so.
Will end users be able to create their own synths? Not that Bazille doesn't seem cool as is, but I'd be even more interested in a completely modular system.

justin3am wrote:I don't separate hardware from software. They are all just synths as far as I'm concerned.
Perhaps the wisest words ever written at KVR...........................
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I've been trying to coax the ugliest sounds I can out of this thing. I think this comes close.

http://www.3amnoise.net/bipolarwaveshaping.mp3

Oscillators one and two are rectified, osc 2 is then inverted and it's phase is offset by 90 degrees and they are summed together. Finally osc one is FMing osc two and vice versa. Some filters too.

hakey wrote:Thanks justin.

So selecting Offset or Spread links the Cut Off of the two filters - and then Spread/Offset determines the relative position of Cut Off for the filters? What's the difference between Spread and Offset?
I could be wrong but it seems like when set to offset mode, the offset parameter adjusts the frequency of filter 2 relative to the frequency of filter 1 while the cutoff parameter on filter 1 controls the frequency of both filters. This is useful for 2 LPFs in series to create an LPF with 2 peaks, or two filters in parallel to create a specific filter offset.

It seems like in spread mode the cutoff parameter on filter 1 controls the center frequency of the two filters the spread parameter adjusts the space between the two cutoff frequencies. This way when you adjust the spread parameter it moves both filter 1 and 2's cutoff away from the center frequency. This is useful for creating morphing bandpass and notch filters when using the filters in serial.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Bazille? as in Manuel's pronunciation of his pet rat's name in Fawlty Towers?

duncanparsons wrote:Bazille? as in Manuel's pronunciation of his pet rat's name in Fawlty Towers?
:lol: :lol:

justin3am wrote:I've been trying to coax the ugliest sounds I can out of this thing. I think this comes close.
Ugly? Au contraire, it sounds amazing.

Return to “u-he”