Berlin Modular (ancient thread)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs, thanks you so much.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
I went for the 2.7GHz i7 in the end - it was only 80 quid more, plus 8Gigs RAM.

So I am now officially a Mac user - or at least I will be when I pick it up next week

I'd be interested to hEAR about your experiences with the Mac mini.

I have this idea to make a 4 mac mini modular over a couple of years.. I'll start with two server editions with the i7 Sandy bridge, and then add the fast mini or what ever is available in 18 months..

I had mentioned earlier today that I might get iMac 27 inch 3.1 Ghz but it at 15000 Danish kroner, still only has 4 processors and is huge, not very portable, For about the same money I could have two Mac mini servers running at 2 Ghz. 8 i7 processors instead of 4 i5s at 2.7 plus a low budget 20 inch third party screenseems to me both a more powerful and portable solution.

I've being playing with Bazille this evening on my mid 2007 iMac intel duo 2.4 Ghz, with this I get two instances of Bazille in monophonic mode with most patches, but not all..

So it's upgrade time..

The sound of these plugs; ACE Diva and Bazille is simply mindblowing..

Thanks again Urs for the free year with Bazille, it gives me time and ecomonic space to get the hardware part sorted out.

Wade
Yeah there was no point in me getting an iMac as I already have a 32" Samsung Syncmaster monitor and don't need another, and the PowerMacs are just out of my price bracket. A 2.7ghz i7 is still more powerful than my first gen i7 laptop and that runs DIVA mostly fairly comfortably already. I could have probably got a PC desktop for less but tbh I'm interested in getting back into Logic - I rather miss it (and its instruments) from when it was a Windows programme - plus the fact that it is far less hassle to set up to use my iPad 2 as a midi/OSC controller than the hoops you have to jump through and glitches you have to put up with on Windows swung it.

Bronto Scorpio wrote:Thank you very much Urs! :)
The font seems to be a little bit more blurry than before and there is a "small" problem with the cables on the preset window:

The preset manager is a really, really welcome addition :)

Cheers
Dennis
What an amazing concept in modular design - real-time audio-rate modulation of parameters by whole patches! :hihi:
Last edited by Gonga on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote:Thank you very much Urs! :)
The font seems to be a little bit more blurry than before and there is a "small" problem with the cables on the preset window:

The preset manager is a really, really welcome addition :)

Cheers
Dennis
What an amazing concept in modular design - real-time audio-rate modulation of paratmeters by whole patches! :hihi:
:hihi:

aMUSEd wrote: I went for the 2.7GHz i7 in the end - it was only 80 quid more, plus 8Gigs RAM.
So I am now officially a Mac user - or at least I will be when I pick it up next week
I'm afraid about the heat dissipation in minis, having them working almost all day with often high cpu use that bring a consequent heating, is something that i don't find comfortable with myself after burning a laptop logic board for intensive cpu use.
My goal is to wait for new Mac Pros mainly for their dissipation system, i know that the cost a lot, but i find them also an investiment in long term with my work.

Check out for minis and dissipation on macrumors.com forums, you can find some funny dissipation stories! :wink:

I just noticed a small thing while I went through my presets to categorize them. There was a small bug in the previous version (alpha 0.4): The pan modulation inputs were named CV1 and CV2 while the entries in the pan modulation menu were named CV0 and CV1. This bug is fixed now! :)
This breakes old presets since the pan modulations aren't assigned anymore. Just click on them again in the pan modulation menu and everything works again :)

Cheers
Dennis

So now that there is a patch manager, where might we find some patches for this thing? I know there's a patch sharing site somewhere, but can't see it on the forum and can't find it on the u-he site.

thanks!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:So now that there is a patch manager, where might we find some patches for this thing? I know there's a patch sharing site somewhere, but can't see it on the forum and can't find it on the u-he site.

thanks!
http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/bazille.html :)
Some of the patches may not work completely anymore though (look at my post above).
And I'm workind on a Bazille bank since a loooong, looong time :hihi:
The new alpha has inspired me again and I'm almost done with it now :)
I may even finish it today :)

Cheers
Dennis

raikard233 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: I went for the 2.7GHz i7 in the end - it was only 80 quid more, plus 8Gigs RAM.
I'm afraid about the heat dissipation in minis, having them working almost all day with often high cpu use that bring a consequent heating, is something that i don't find comfortable with myself after burning a laptop logic board for intensive cpu use.
My goal is to wait for new Mac Pros mainly for their dissipation system, i know that the cost a lot, but i find them also an investiment in long term with my work.

Check out for minis and dissipation on macrumors.com forums, you can find some funny dissipation stories! :wink:
The point you raise are interesting. I'm thinking of making a Mac mini modular system. This would consist of eventually 16 cores in 4 mac mini servers. I would be spreading the workload out over several computers, so exactly this point of overheating would here be minimalized. I also leave to the engineers at apple and intel to spec their gear out so it can be used at maxxed-out level with out overheating. They are afterall putting these processors into devices like the Mac book pro laptops that cost serious amounts of money, so failure because of overheating here would be extremely damaging for their business. Mac Minis also are somewhat more roomy than the average ultra thin Laptop.

Finally I could place the mini's in a custom built super cooled cabinet if this was an issue in my rather cool Denmark.

Wade
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:So now that there is a patch manager, where might we find some patches for this thing? I know there's a patch sharing site somewhere, but can't see it on the forum and can't find it on the u-he site.

thanks!
http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/bazille.html :)
Some of the patches may not work completely anymore though (look at my post above).
And I'm workind on a Bazille bank since a loooong, looong time :hihi:
The new alpha has inspired me again and I'm almost done with it now :)
I may even finish it today :)

Cheers
Dennis
I look forward to this coming bank. I also don't see why it should be free. I'd gladly pay a patch bank price of say 15 Euro's

Don't be modest now. I could be enjoying those patches for up to a year. Urs probably will be taking a holiday after the intense affair with a Diva..

TwoToneshuzz wrote: Urs probably will be taking a holiday after the intense affair with a Diva..
Oh no, he won't. He has to take Zebra for a face lifting, and also some inside plastics, as promised (filters, etc.), and also finish the Berlin Modular. Come on, don't you want to play with LUSH and ACE XL, besides a finished Bazille? :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote: Urs probably will be taking a holiday after the intense affair with a Diva..
Oh no, he won't. He has to take Zebra for a face lifting, and also some inside plastics, as promised (filters, etc.), and also finish the Berlin Modular. Come on, don't you want to play with LUSH and ACE XL, besides a finished Bazille? :wink:
Slave Driver! Developers need Rest and Relaxation. But that aside I think Bazille would be pretty high on the list after 4 four years.. Software is not like wine, it doesn't like to sit on the shelf too long.. gets musty or sour neau neau I'm no Zebraphile so I'd say first Bazille then Zebra.. Zebra is perfectly good from all acounts now..

Wade :lol:

No! Since Zebra's still the best synth made (or coded), it needs zero-delay feedback filters now to maintain its rep! :hihi:
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga wrote:No! Since Zebra's still the best synth made (or coded), it needs zero-delay feedback filters now to maintain its rep! :hihi:
One detail here though, what does the money say?

Wade :P

Gonga wrote:No! Since Zebra's still the best synth made (or coded), it needs zero-delay feedback filters now to maintain its rep! :hihi:
We're just testing a build of Zebra that has Diva's filters (still mono, no feedback, no fm). Boy, that's kind of a revelation :-o

Return to “u-he”