Patch Contest #4

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xh3rv wrote:
hakey wrote: The alternative might be to include bpm in the patch name - "Dub Riddim 65bpm" - but as I say, for voting purposes, I'd rather keep things as simple as possible. If more people think that the bpm issue needs addressing I'll certainly reconsider.
I guess I also feel pretty strongly that showing an intended BPM is not too complicated (if anyone doesn't know where the BPM control is ...).
Okay, it's not massively complicated, but it does ask a little more of the auditioner - it's not as simple as just flicking through the patches one after the other, they've also got to stop adjust bpm, then when they load another patch they have to readjust and so on (and, bearing in mind the low uptake for voting for the current contest, I'm thinking that it might be best to make the auditioning process as easy as possible).

And I really think (I was going to say 'equally strongly', but my opinion on the matter isn't quite that strident :lol: )that a good rhythmic patch would be one that can be used over a range of tempi - certainly from say 70 bpm through to 140 (or there and there abouts).

So we can turn in a max of 2 patches?

kodama wrote:So we can turn in a max of 2 patches?
Yes.

Wotz BPM?

:D

Seriously though, I hate going through a newly purchased soundbank and finding patches marked with specific BPMs. I mean, Omnisphere's got, like, three million patches and not one has a suggested tempo. Nor have any of the Korg Legacy banks. Or the G-Force/Ohm Force synths.

I rest my case, m'lud.

:wink:

Kind regards.
Dave Bourke
- ideation -

I think there's a fair argument for either including the BPM or not including it.

A lot has to do with what's been created.

Considering this is a drum sequence instead of just a drum patch, it definitely means that in addition to great sound, the creator has to give composition consideration as well (or at least consider it to stand out among other patches).

But with that said... Like hakey mentioned earlier, most hosts default to 120bpm, so I would think that unless the BPM is necessary to the patch, then there's no need to bother with it.

I also think we should leave it up to whomever is voting to decide whether a patch designed to sound good at a specific tempo is a positive or negative in deciding "best patch"

I say leave the door open for both. I think I will design two patches... one with the BPM listed and one that can hopefully sound good at any speed. It makes this contest much more interesting IMO.

Okay, those who want to specify a bpm, that's fine. I would suggest just adding "xxx bpm" after the patch name.

I'll include an instruction to this effect in the finalised contest announcement, which should be ready by Monday.

elxicano wrote:I think there's a fair argument for either including the BPM or not including it.
Ya, in the end I have no objection to the contest being run one way or the other.

I'm in. Just spent several hours making making my first rythmic patch (with zebra). :) Still getting used to how the MSEGs move though.

Your perception of rhythm changes after 140 BPM. I believe it's now OK to have a suggested BPM. Is anyone else going to complain? When is the deadline? I have 2 things made and I want to know how long I have to tinker with them if I decide to participate.
Last edited by kajiotaku on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

kajiotaku wrote:I want to know how long I have to tinker with them if I decide to participate.
2 weeks from tomorrow. (Monday)

Just to remind those who haven't voted for this weeks contest, to do so before Monday.
In this thread. Patch Contest #3 Voting

Lots of people are showing interest in entering, but few are showing interest in voting.

MCnoone wrote:
kajiotaku wrote:I want to know how long I have to tinker with them if I decide to participate.
I was going to say three weeks from tomorrow (we allowed three weeks for the last task).

hakey wrote:
MCnoone wrote:
I was going to say three weeks from tomorrow (we allowed three weeks for the last task).
Oh...sorry I didn't realize you changed it from the other ones before.
I stand corrected. 3 weeks it is then.

on monday I will be away for a week or so for work ...but UI have my laprop with me and can continue woring on this. Ready to go!!! ;-)

The 'finalised' contest details are now up (in the first post in this thread). I hope it's all clear enough for everyone :? .

hakey wrote:The 'finalised' contest details are now up (in the first post in this thread). I hope it's all clear enough for everyone :? .
Just read it, but I think you left out whether or not we can use XY pads for this one.
Yes?

Return to “u-he”