MFBM Suggesstions for next version (and bugs)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First the bugs (tested in Buzz w/ lates Polac VST loader on a P4)
-Lowering the 'to effect' level of a channel causes what I assume to be a denomalization problem. My compter starts to stutter and responds very slowly. I have to reset teh driver (click close and cancel for Buzz).

Some suggestions:
BTW Great effect!!! My favorite part is the ch. offset!
LFO's:
-the two squares are not needed since you can make either from the other and the phase contoll.
-Would be nice to have triangle, random (Sample and hold), and jitter (brown noise), and ramp.
-Need's more control over the period. Quantized is not always good. 4/1 is sometimes too short. Can't do 2/1 with out changing global bpm.
Delays:
-Option to qunatize delay (including 1/3).
-when changing the buffer length (delay time) it would be nice to have option for tape style lenght change (pitch shift buffer to fit) (then you can make chourus and phasers!)
-delay of 0ms should bypass delay (no delay)
-Output would be nice to have phase inversed (negative gain)
-Format filters would be nice
-diffuse value for delay would be cool

Addtional comments:
-Env Follower with AD would be nice!
-a key that when held offers more percision (smaller value increments) would be nice.
-being able to type values in fields would be great.
-sliders under the steps makes more sense to me...
-an interia parameter that interpolates value changes over a given time would be nice. (Kind of like blend but for user changes.)
-Midi learn is always nice!

Once again, Really great plug!! Thanks for making it free :D

soma wrote:a key that when held offers more percision (smaller value increments) would be nice.
Click on a button, then drag the mouse far away from it. You can get finer control this way.

thanks.

Hiya,

thanks for the suggestions!

First of all, MFM isn't really a free plug, it's a shareware with a reg. fee of 20€... - I havn't published that very well, for several reasons: Being unexperienced, listing in databaseaudio.co.uk (top referrer to my site), and - big one - avoiding conflicts with my daily job. Hehe... never mind... :D

About all your suggestions are heard and either scheduled or already realized in internal builds / developments.

Zebra's reverb for instance is based on MFM2 code, with a so-called waveguide network, which are basically 8 delay lines that operate with smooth delay time transitions. This stuff makes 1-4% on a G4 450, as opposed to the 8-12% of current MFM.

Zebra's delay (which is quite a simple one) already does Sync to host.

You know, I've spent months on advanced filter designs, so I guess MFM2 will get some very cool features in that respect. - I still think my formant filters as used in Zoyd and Zebra are unique in plugin world and come closest to the wonderful E-mu vocal filters.

MFM's PC version has a small flaw in respect of the granularity of the knobs. In the Mac version, you have much better fine control over delay times and stuff, when you hold down option and shift while dragging knobs like a slider. Sascha and I havn't found a way to circumvent this problem without hassle. - I'll meet him tonite for a beer, so I'll again try to bribe him by taking over the bill.

Reg. denormalization... MFM has some stuff in to avoid it, but it's easily possible that the infamous PIV problem comes in here at a different impact. - It's good to know this (no-one mentioned it so far), so I can take measures. - Please try to put "Normalizer" from digitalfisphones in "AC mode" before MFM in the signal path for the time being...

Yeah... well... I need more coffee now...

Cheers,

;) Urs

Thank you! I'll give the normalizer a go and let you know if I still have the problem. I'll register that next time I use MFM in a finished song (which hopefully will be soon).
I have to agree about your format filters! They're the best I've heard native.
Glad to hear my suggestions made sense, and even more glad to hear you thought of them too and have started coding them already.
The knobs on the PC are hard to dial into the right value it's true. I think making them verticaly responsive to ms and horizonally snapping ms to qantized beat (eg 120 ms for 120 bpm then 240 ms etc.) could be a good way to deal with this.

also haveing a step of 1 is very usefull if you want to just adjust all channels relative to eachother in realtime.
[edit]
Having negative values in the step sequencer would be helpful
Having alt+ drag set the delay time to 0ms (delay off)instead of 1000ms would be more useful too.
Last edited by soma on Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[edit]
ignore

More interseting effects could be made if the signal routing were to go [filter/delay]->PAN-> feedback to top of channel. Then you could do delays that get wider or narrower as they repeat.
For instance take an all right panned signal in and pan it less right out back into the all right (narrower). Or take a some right (some left), and feed it back panned all right (wider, the left signal diminishes in the right output). (you have to watch your panning laws to make sure that you don't change the gain too much when panning).

Maybe you can do this already?

oooh... late at night here... I come back tomorrow...

however, it's built-in into VST that [option]-click sets stuff to 50%. I'll do custom deafult settings in future.

;) Urs

Highest on my list after playing with it for a while is a step one or even better a group knob (like the setp mod but with always on that one step; did that make sense?) Oh and a denormalizationalized version.

Any word on the next update?

Woah...

He, I'm still in the process of releasing another plugin.

It takes its time to build a good stuff.

The good word is: Starting in January I'll have 5 days a week to work on stuff, instead of just 2 or less.

;) Urs

sorry didn't mean to sound demanding. Just was curious. I appreaciate all your hard work.

Well, I want it now. Forget this 2 days a week junk. What good is that? I want MFM to have little places for pictures to be loaded so I can look at ferrets and sandwiches while I work. Yeah, that would be great.

fucanayadoodledoo

Return to “u-he”