Zebra Sound Design -tips, and tricks

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

--static random value lfo:

To get a different static random value for every key pressed, choose a voice lfo (not a global lfo) and set it like that:
-"waveform" to "random hold"
-"restart" to "gate"
-"rate" all the way down to "zero"
That's it.

--tuning an oscillator deeper than -48 semitones:

-first set its tune to -48
-in the tune modulation slot load a modmix module and leave its setting at "sum modulations"
-set tune modulation depth all the way down to -48
-set the "constant" parameter of the modmix module all the way up to 100
Now you are at -96 already.
-you can go even deeper if you load a modmap module (mode "key" or "alternate") into the modmix module and set all of its values to +100
Now you are very very loooooooow and will probably only hear some lonely clicks from time to time.

--creating crazy lfo rhythms:

You can create some wild, unusual but still useful new lfo rhythms beyond the usual lfo-waveforms by modulating the phase parameter of an lfo.
There's no modslot for the lfo phase in the lfo module but you can reach the phase by choosing it as a target in the modmatrix. If you now load a modmix module as modulator and another modmixer in the "via" slot you can modulate the phase by up to six different lfos or other modulators.
Just start experimenting with different waveforms and rates for each lfo and then continue by modulating the parameters of each lfo with some of the other lfos or different modulators.
This will create lfo rhythm mayhem. But if you don't loose oversight you can create lots of cool rhythms (or simply let the chaos take control). :wink:

Cheers,
Thomas

Thanks everyone who shared their design tips.

1.Hidden Overdrive.
Legato mode (the other modes don't really work good with this)
This will work with 1 saw oscillator set to single mode, but I used a square, and it sounded better imo.
Using 2 Osc FX's.
Set the 1st one (left side) to "ChopLift", turn right to +50.
Set the 2nd one to "Symmetry", turn right to +50.
It might be peaking somewhat, so lower the output somewhat.
:-o yea I know...

2.Fast Attack.
With the same patch, draw a square wave, as it works better for this patch.
Turn on the "Phase" button. (1st icon from left on the osc)
Assign "Env2" to the Phase, using the Mod Knob next to it.
Set both Env1, and Env2 to 1/8 in "v-slope" mode, with the slope lever set all the way to the left.
Give "Env2" a "Decay" of "32"-Attack and Sustain are at 0, and Release is short.
Move the "Phase" knob to +55, then move the Phase Modulation knob w/t Env2 assigned, to the left at -46
You can of course play with those settings to get a harder hitting attack.

You can also turn on "Sync", and assign "Env2" to the Sync Mod knob, and turn it right to about +12 for a more defined attack.
I set my Sync mod to an Env3, and gave it a longer decay time.

Now find a filter. I used an XMF, with some high resonance settings, and analogue mode.

The last module in the chain will help in lowering the mids, which will be very fat, but to get it in a mix, we'll lower it, not using EQ (although we could), but a Sideband module instead.
Just put an SB1 module in the last slot in the column, and turn the "Mix" to the left, at a setting of -34.
This will act in place of messing with an EQ, and can make it leave more space for a complete mix, in the mids.
I have these Sideband mods used as options in many of the presets I'm doing, where it will be off by default in the grid, but can be turned on to use.
It helps give certain acoustic type instruments, a more realistic tone imo.
Works great for guitars, and horns. Could do it with EQ also, but not as easy to find those settings.
The preset I did will be available in my next bank of Zebra patches.
With certain extra things, that I didn't mention here.

Hope these tips help, as they are some ideas used on my next bank, which is still unreleased. Should be out by Christmas though.

Enjoy :)

tasmaniandevil wrote:* static random value lfo...
* To get a different static random value for every key pressed...
* tuning an oscillator deeper than -48 semitones...
* creating crazy lfo rhythms...
Great tips, Tas!

Wavetables as Filter LFOs

1) Use the technique tasmaniandevil describes above to tune an osc way down.
2) Route this osc to the sidechain input of a XMF filter.
3) You may want to set the KeyScale knob of the osc to 0. This way it won't follow the keyposition. But you don't have to!
4) Use the FilterFM knob on the XMF module to set the amount of modulation.

Now you can "draw" your own LFO waveforms, just "draw" the waveform of the deep tuned osc. Of course you can also blend between different waves in the wavetable or use some oscFX.

Cheers
Dennis

Here is an example patch: WavetableLFO.h2p
Use the modwheel to morph between different LFO waveforms.

Cheers
Dennis

OK, here is an another one tip (my secret weapon) :hihi:

Fuzz Distortion FX:
1) Load a "Comp" module in the effects grid
3) Choose the "Strong" type for compression
2) Set the "Attack" and "Release" = 0

That's all! :D

And the "Threshold" is a level of distortion :wink:
Sound Design, Music Production

Bronto Scorpio wrote:Now you can "draw" your own LFO waveforms...
:)

Great idea, this thread!

Using liberal amounts of resonance on one or more filters
This is something I can recommend: Take an oscillator and then use one or two or three filters and bring the resonance up high on all of them.
Then adjust the cutoff and the resonance until you get a sound that is almost devoid of any harmonics, there is just the impression of the sound left.
With some work/experimentation you can get a wonderful transparent lead sound that sort of drift high above the rest of the music.

Here's my preset and a couple of mp3 examples for my last posted tip.
The h2p preset is not the same as the one I used for the mp3's.
Please read the info box or look at the XY Pad tab for information on the patch.
There is 1XY pad you can use, and some filters and FX turned off by default.

Overdrive h2p preset
http://www.box.net/shared/1chqtqfj85

Overdrive mp3 (dry)
http://www.box.net/shared/be66tsprak

Overdrive1 mp3 (internal delay)
http://www.box.net/shared/jkc3nyzxvg

Use FM
FM-synthesis is wonderful, so place a FMO somewhere in the matrix, move it around in the matrix and see where it takes you. Sometimes I do it with my "finished" sounds to push them in new directions.

Use a SB-module
It is possible to get a charming, subtle motion in your sounds with SB.
Play with Frequency, Offset and Mix. Modulate these with a LFO (and try to change the LFO's rate).

Don't forget that there are 2 more filters and shapers in the effects section

I stumbled across this video made by Zircon and I learned some nice techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFPmENLnBQ

My favorite is at 3:30 when he shows that inverting a saw makes a pulse wave.
Maybe everyone knows that, but I didn't :)

Best regards,

Gino

Fixed Frequency is available in Osc settings as described in the next post.
Last edited by Breeze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breeze wrote:I was looking for a way to get an oscillator to play at one pitch across the keyboard, as if completely decoupled from the keyboard, and I found a formula that works:
Maybe I'm being dense, but why didn't you just use the "key scale" knob set to 0 on the "Osc X" tab for the relevant oscillator?

bmrzycki wrote:Maybe I'm being dense, but why didn't you just use the "key scale" knob set to 0 on the "Osc X" tab for the relevant oscillator?
No, not at all! Clearly I missed that, so I'm erasing my post as it doesn't belong here. But you should leave yours as someone might need it some day...

Thanks!

PS: I still think this thread should be a sticky :)

Breeze wrote:I'm erasing my post as it doesn't belong here.
Hey now, you're more than welcome here. :) :hug: It sounds like you're seriously learning Zebra2 and I'm sure you'll discover something unique for this thread in no time!

Return to “u-he”