The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Urs can we get an update on how the DIVA Arpegiator is coming along?

ddeez wrote:Urs can we get an update on how the DIVA Arpegiator is coming along?
We expect it not before April - we're still bugfixing the 1.2 version which we hope to release this month, and then we're preparing some news for Musikmesse in April. Thus April looks like a good date to release something - most likely a Diva with Arpeggiator.

Urs wrote:
ddeez wrote:Urs can we get an update on how the DIVA Arpegiator is coming along?
We expect it not before April - we're still bugfixing the 1.2 version which we hope to release this month, and then we're preparing some news for Musikmesse in April. Thus April looks like a good date to release something - most likely a Diva with Arpeggiator.
:love:

Thanks as always Urs

Urs wrote:That brings up an idea... Diva could have a paraphonic mode... as long as the routing stays simple, it would be doable. Hehe, if only for a bit of Poly 800 vibe.
+1 for the paraphonic mode!

other than string machine emulation and pad with lower cpu use (using only one filter for all the voices) it should also be very useful for making stabby sounds, when the envelope times are really short stabs come out better with only one envelope for all the voices

PS: thank you for all the effort in developing such a great instruments by a really happy customer!

Urs wrote:
Is there any decision on poll about filters and oscs results? Is it also going to be in april?
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
Urs wrote:
Is there any decision on poll about filters and oscs results? Is it also going to be in april?
We're trying... considering how long it takes to build one and considering how much else we need to do, I'm not too optimistic I'm afraid :oops:

call me obsessed but even the arpeggiator teaser shows the one thing that doesn't sound analog in Diva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94kc7KLxqUM

the noise generator.:cry: especially when modulating it u feel something isn't right...it has a dry slightly harsh mid sound...although i must say still better than most softsynths.

i'd be happy with no updates at all...but a more analog noise.
curently there'/s option for bipolar noise but that only make it sound worse if anything.

i'm considering getting a subphatty just for that...although i read they included a "magenta" noise???...not know if even that will suit me yet. need to try it first.
and i must say also the boomstars look tasty too....
i don't want hardware damn it :cry:

subphatty just for noise
:tu:

olikana wrote:
the noise generator.:cry: especially when modulating it u feel something isn't right...it has a dry slightly harsh mid sound...although i must say still better than most softsynths.

i'd be happy with no updates at all...but a more analog noise.
I agree that noise in Diva could use some attention... in general I think noise is considered something of a throw in feature in synths... like noise is just noise and that's it...

To our defense, we had *thorough* discussions about the noise and changed it several times until a certain synthesist would shut up and smile. Maybe he just wasn't that annoyed anymore, which we might have interpreted as "happy" :oops:

I will admit though, we were braindead after tuning the filters and had no energy to do any more a/b comparisons, especially not with anything as draining as noise generators.

Any recommendations on digital synths that got noise right?

If I was developing Diva and the Noise generator became a subject of focus, as it has I would just make a tiny audio player in Diva made for the job so users can sample heavy rain, toilet flushing, jet taking off etc and include it in the patch :roll:

Definitions of electrical noise are so vast we have to refer to them as colours/colors !

Send me a :shock: if I'm not getting something here ?

Anyway hows the ARP coming on ;)

Urs wrote:
Any recommendations on digital synths that got noise right?

that's the problem urs. none that i know of.
there might be a few out there with noise a little better but none that i tried really satisfies .
also a comparison might be pointless as other softsynths go through different filters which are bound to colour the noise aswell.
maybe comparable is unolx vs diva with rough cascade.
the unolx noise has slightly more body and a little more laid back on those middle high frequencies. less hissy. if a sound carries too much hiss already...then obviously when u adding resonance through filter won't have a positive effect.
anyhow i wouldn't take a unolx or even a juno noise as reference of a great noise generator

imo best bet is if someone can just provide a noise sample from a moog (a v source or even voyager will do) with the filter open (100% cut off , 0% res).
and simply compare how the voyager/source noise generator sound through their open filter....and how the diva one sounds through it's moog filter .
divas moog ladder filter is identical to a moog ladder filter (maybe goes a bit higher in frequency but that's easily adjustable). so any relavant difference will be really in the noise itself.
and i'm sure we'll have a sample of the "magenta" subphatty noise soon :D

otherwise i think there's a moogerfooger with just the noise generator for straight noise to noise unfiltered comparison.

btw i know andy cytomic was looking into analog noise issues not long ago. maybe topic of conversation for your next coffee? ;P

Urs wrote: Any recommendations on digital synths that got noise right?
well a good place to start is with the 903 and 903A (preferably the A when they added pink). I can't remember who had the sweepable one first. But, I think the 2600 noise generator was more in line with what is now considered "noise".

EDIT: I have always preferred the frequency constrained static white noise myself.

EDIT EDIT: IMO Diva noise is extremely brittle. That isn't necessarily bad, it just doesn't fit the rest of the vibe. The early noise generators were extremely band limited.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: bleh, you said digital synth that got it right ... I'm a moooooooron.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Urs wrote:
david.beholder wrote: Is there any decision on poll about filters and oscs results? Is it also going to be in april?
We're trying... considering how long it takes to build one and considering how much else we need to do, I'm not too optimistic I'm afraid :oops:
"And all the world seems a sad sadness song."

But anyway I hope to see one day CS 80 oscs and filters in DIVA package.

I also have suggestion for second "add" modifier. When I want to mix voice map to something, it appears that first add already used, so I can't.

P.S. I want to mention alos that I'm absolutely excited with current noise generator in DIVA. It's sounding really analogue and on par with best vintage custom made modular hardware noise generators :lol:
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”