The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Rtas Rtas Rtas! when? how is ti coming along? what things do you need to do before you get started doing the RTAS version? As soon as you have that version out, you'll get my money:)

the19thbear wrote:Rtas Rtas Rtas! when? how is ti coming along? what things do you need to do before you get started doing the RTAS version? As soon as you have that version out, you'll get my money:)
We first have to release that maintenance update before we'll consider anything.

Then we have a tradeshow coming up, for which we need merely "visible" news, not just a new layer of compatibility. So the guys are working hard on some other stuff right now. To be honest, after the stuff we went through last year we need to spend some time on "interesting" things, not just tedious and draining work. Working on plugin format compatibility is a highly demotivating and cumbersome task :-|

Hehehe, and *if* then it would be AAX because RTAS is officially dead (which is the main reason why we don't support it anymore)

Any chance of slightly extending the modulation possibilities in DIVA? I'm missing a way to modulate the volume-knob of each oscillator. Seems like a simple feature - yet it's missing?

Maybe should've posted this in "improvements"..
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

I told my own "DIVA in Hardware" (my Girlfriend), that I want to sell a Hardware Workstation of my arsenal. She was very worried and told me "but not this nice sounding device you play so much" and I knew directly what she thought about. I modified a MacMini to a little DIVA Synth with a host only to play this incredible VST. So she meant I want to sell this one and was not amused :-)

A lot of people talk about the CPU requirements of U-HE DIVA and I hope that there will be still some improvements. But in comparison to other Softsynths with similar complex sound generation (especially LUSH-101), it's not so bad if i can play some amazing stuff on a i5 MacMini.

So URS and your team, when my "DIVA in Hardware" is sad about the fear of loosing the best sounding Synth in my arsenal, it can only be the bigest compliment to your creation! :)

Thanx for your nice words. Greetings to your hardware Diva! :)

muelb wrote:I told my own "DIVA in Hardware" (my Girlfriend), that I want to sell a Hardware Workstation of my arsenal. She was very worried and told me "but not this nice sounding device you play so much" and I knew directly what she thought about. I modified a MacMini to a little DIVA Synth with a host only to play this incredible VST. So she meant I want to sell this one and was not amused :-)

A lot of people talk about the CPU requirements of U-HE DIVA and I hope that there will be still some improvements. But in comparison to other Softsynths with similar complex sound generation (especially LUSH-101), it's not so bad if i can play some amazing stuff on a i5 MacMini.

So URS and your team, when my "DIVA in Hardware" is sad about the fear of loosing the best sounding Synth in my arsenal, it can only be the bigest compliment to your creation! :)
This is good to know. I've been planning to do the same thing - not specifically with DIVA but creating a headless Mac Mini with a Motu Ultralite interface for performances. What's your build like and what polyphony/settings can you get Diva running with?

secretkillerofnames wrote: This is good to know. I've been planning to do the same thing - not specifically with DIVA but creating a headless Mac Mini with a Motu Ultralite interface for performances. What's your build like and what polyphony/settings can you get Diva running with?
I'm a bit pre-occupied to dig them up, but there are performance threads somewhere in the u-he forums (I posted some figures for a recent Mac Mini). The Minis use mobile processors so it's not equivalent to iMacs but, with the caveat that IIRC a full 16-voice 'divine' was iffy, I think it's entirely capable.

I will do a performance test with it. Can you tell me which presets i should try?

But I have to admit that my MacMini is a special thing. I bought it to try MacOS because I have some clients running Mac's. After some annoying days of MacOS learning and tweaking I had a lot of troubles to get some NAS network drive connections running without a waiting time of 20sec. So I didn't touch my MacMini for half a year and thought about to sell it. But I installed a SSD and cannot give some guarantee when i sell it so I had some scruple to put it in the Bay. Then I gave it a last chance, I made it my Windows 8 test machine an was somewhat of surprised that it runs really fast (Bootup time about 20sec with DAW and DIVA!). There are some Problems with the Graphics drivers, but I solved it. Bluetooth is still not running, but to be honest, I installed a DAW and DIVA and played around with it and didn't tweak anything more yet.

My target in the moment is to make more music and less tweaking my setup.

I the Moment I use a RME Babyface and a relatively big buffer size (512 samples). The strange thing is, that it begins to crackle before DIVA takes more than 50% of CPU Power when I set it to 256 or 128. So I think I have is still a problem with the MacMini Windows drivers. But I run DIVA in Sonar X2 and thats really a exagerrated setup. I really have to try it with a simple VST host.

What VST Host do you recommend to test a VST plugin performance?

muelb wrote:I the Moment I use a RME Babyface and a relatively big buffer size (512 samples). The strange thing is, that it begins to crackle before DIVA takes more than 50% of CPU Power when I set it to 256 or 128.
What VST Host do you recommend to test a VST plugin performance?
Are you using the multi-threaded mode?

The host doesn't matter much performance wise. Just use the CPU performance meter of the OS to get a rather realistic measurement. :)

Yes, I always use multiprocessor mode.

OK, I try to give you a performance example of my MacMini running Win8 64-bit.

The CPU is a i5-2520M and the audio interface is a RME Babyface with 512 samples buffer. The latency reported from the driver is 13ms. Unfortunately I get crackles with 256 samples buffer, also If I play only one voice. I don't know why it is such a problem, cpu load is almost the same with 256 and 512.

In the test Values % base load of the DAW is included.

BS Beauty Pad, Accuracy "great" I can play 15 Voices to get 95% CPU power, with 16 it crackles; 8 Voices take 55%.

SAVIHost is one of the lightest VST hosts and seems to work fine with Diva; it's available as 32-bit and 64-bit.

I'm also considering packaging Diva into portable hardware. In fact, I was looking for the most CPU-hungry patch for testing: does anyone know of the "ultimate CPU-munching DIVA preset"? That would be really handy. I've been using complex patches with 10-notes arpeggiating as a quide. But it would be good to have a stress test to find settings that allow maxed-out Diva to work without issues no matter what.

I'm also concerned about parallel use of Diva: the manual states that multiple instances of Diva aren't designed to use the multiprocessor mode and that it's to be avoided. Is this still the case even with the recent optimizations?

Breeze wrote:In fact, I was looking for the most CPU-hungry patch for testing: does anyone know of the "ultimate CPU-munching DIVA preset"?
polyphony, long release amp envelope, and lots of filter resonance + modulation. That brings your CPU to its knees in divine mode. :)

When do we get the new modules in beta?

olikana wrote:
Urs wrote:Any recommendations on digital synths that got noise right?
that's the problem urs. none that i know of.
Isnt it so that computers cant create truly random numbers? I have previously done some thinking about it: What if the source modulator was an analog signal or something like that, "out of the box". Some electrical signal, or say the real noise from the soundcard. Theres a true random signal. Could it be tapped and used somehow to control a software noise generator? Metaphoricly like a human hand would use a mouse to shake a virtual box of sand in random patterns.

Return to “u-he”