The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Ah right, wasn't sure whether it was my eyes or some kind of optical illusion.

hakey wrote:This is of no consequence, but with LED colour set to around 0.86 are the LEDs in the effects section the same shade as those in the Dual VCO section?
Well on my screen they begin to get a little asymmetrical in colour at around 0.76 and fall back in sync around at the final hyperdrive punky-pink shade in the end. *FFR I only field these advanced questions as they provide the greatest challenge (for my eyes..he he)* :hihi:

As a lyrical aside sort of thing (didn't want to create a separate topic for this): how come there is still no mention of Diva in Urs's Twitter blurb? It says:
@uheplugins. We make Zebra. And ACE, Uhbik, MFM & Filterscape. And TyrellN6, TripleCheese, Bazille and Zoyd.
Shouldn't there be Diva (somewhere between Zebra and ACE)?...
:pray:

Alexiz wrote:As a lyrical aside sort of thing (didn't want to create a separate topic for this): how come there is still no mention of Diva in Urs's Twitter blurb? It says:
@uheplugins. We make Zebra. And ACE, Uhbik, MFM & Filterscape. And TyrellN6, TripleCheese, Bazille and Zoyd.
Shouldn't there be Diva (somewhere between Zebra and ACE)?...
:pray:
I'm sure that's a small oversight and will be corrected when the main website is updated with a permanent diva page too. :)

Yes yes yes.

In a bit more than a week from now you'll see why we simply hadn't had the time. I hope :)

not to sound cheap and annoying. but i totally missed the Diva $60 off. and i had the beta too.

do you normally do deals. or is that like a one time thing? this synth sounds amazing and i want it, but $180 is a good chunk of change. ACE is so much cheaper.

Diva makes me want to put my virus KB away.

I just bought Diva and I have to say € 165,- is not much money for what you get.
You'll get a lovely, analoque sounding synth with lots of attitude.

My question to Urs is: will there be P5 / Poly6 filter modules in the future inside Diva? IMHO I think they would really complement the synth a lot.
I think you are a great guy and I wish you all the best with the U-he company!

MyNDSETER wrote:do you normally do deals. or is that like a one time thing? this synth sounds amazing and i want it, but $180 is a good chunk of change. ACE is so much cheaper.
Sorry, we usually don't do deals, it's been a one off :oops:

We basically acknowledge that early versions are always a little bit buggy and thus everyone is a bit of a beta tester. Thus we do introduction offers.

However, from then on we have a good track record of not charging for updates (which isn't a law because one day we might have to, but even if then it'll be moderate)

There seem to be two philosophies in marketing: Those who favour newcomers are set out to grow quickly until they need to milk existing customers - they do specials, specials and specials, often with hidden follow-on costs. Then there's those who favour a loyal user base grow slowly because of the entrance hurdle - they don't ever drop prices and live of word by mouth. The advantage of latter is, they have to play nice with their users while former don't really need to care.

#---

The thing about ACE is this: We totally underestimated it. We thought it was too geeky and too cpu draining to sell beyond a few hundred. Thus we kept it cheap. And also, ACE is basically a downpayment for the some-day-to-emerge Berlin Modular synthesizer. The price of ACE can be fully deducted towards the upgrade. The plan is evil: Once we get everyone hooked to ACE we believe that everyone will want to upgrade. And because everyone knows his way around ACE, they'll be delighted by the way Berlin Modular is going to be set up.

Cheers,

;) Urs

Kees49 wrote:I just bought Diva and I have to say € 165,- is not much money for what you get.
You'll get a lovely, analoque sounding synth with lots of attitude.

My question to Urs is: will there be P5 / Poly6 filter modules in the future inside Diva? IMHO I think they would really complement the synth a lot.
I think you are a great guy and I wish you all the best with the U-he company!
Thanks mate!

We haven't had any time yet to make future plans for Diva or anything. Our synth collection grew by a pile of Oberheims, and the Pro One is still crying for help. We have offers to borrow a few CS-80ies and a Rev 2 Prophet 5, among others.

Thus, well, things are all open from here on. After Musikmesse next week we'll have to deal with a few things that we're announcing, and then we might get our ears fried in analysis.

Whatever we choose, it needs to be very distinct from what we already got. We will most likely favour "broader range of sound" over "subtle shades of glory". The Oberheims (OB-X, Matrix 12 etc.) are definately in that category, but I haven't had a proper listen to any of the SSM based designs.

We'll see...

May The Force be with you!

Urs wrote:
MyNDSETER wrote:do you normally do deals. or is that like a one time thing? this synth sounds amazing and i want it, but $180 is a good chunk of change. ACE is so much cheaper.
Sorry, we usually don't do deals, it's been a one off :oops:

We basically acknowledge that early versions are always a little bit buggy and thus everyone is a bit of a beta tester. Thus we do introduction offers.

The thing about ACE is this: We totally underestimated it. We thought it was too geeky and too cpu draining to sell beyond a few hundred. Thus we kept it cheap. And also, ACE is basically a downpayment for the some-day-to-emerge Berlin Modular synthesizer. The price of ACE can be fully deducted towards the upgrade. The plan is evil: Once we get everyone hooked to ACE we believe that everyone will want to upgrade. And because everyone knows his way around ACE, they'll be delighted by the way Berlin Modular is going to be set up.

Cheers,

;) Urs
Dig it. just thought i would ask. cuz ive definitely bought software only to have the company do a sale a few weeks later and i end up annoyed. The synth sounds absolutely killer, but i have a dumb question: I noticed that on my i7 mac, the AU version has less of a cpu drain than using the VST version. Is that normal?

I did compare it side by side with my virus KB and while Diva isnt enough to make me want to put it up for sale, its damn close. there is just something fuller, wider and clearer about the KB, but hey its hardware. I think Diva is closing the gap between hardware and software by a good amount, to where the difference might be negligable in the near future. Pretty sure im gonna buy it in the next couple weeks. People talk about NI's Massive and how awesome it is and i gotta say that thing sounds like a piece of garbage next to Diva. Honestly i think Massive i kinda garbage in general. I bought Komplete for Reaktor. My only criticism is that generic looking font you used to spell Diva on the synth its self. Would love to see something more custom and fitting in a future release, but hey that dont count towards the sound at all, so who really cares.

I did use the Berlin Modular and it seems damn cool, but modular synthesis is a bit above my head. I know my way around subtractive and Fm synths quite well, but i feel that modulars are a whole other level. but i might buy Ace too just to get the Berlin modular later on. Ive always been interested in getting like a Euro Rack type thing, but they are so expensive and i dont really know where to start. But the Berlin Modular seems like a good place to start.

Do you do package deals? :wink:

and thanks for the response, i think its great you spend so much time on here talking with us lowly consumers
peace

We have offers to borrow a few CS-80ies
PLEASE DO!!!!!!! this is the KING of synths, no need for 80's Oberheims or lesser synths if you have the option to model a cs-80!!!!!!

there is no self-oscillation on the filter, so that may save you a little time :)

will you let people route audio through the diva filters? this would be a massive upgrade many people would love i am certain.

CS80 is only the "King of Synths" because of its playability (poly aftertouch, ribbon, control tabs). I've spent the last 2 months with one in my room... Great to play, the keybed is the best.

Howard wrote:CS80 is only the "King of Synths" because of its playability (poly aftertouch, ribbon, control tabs). I've spent the last 2 months with one in my room... Great to play, the keybed is the best.
I guess you've had a stab at the intro to Fanfare for the Common Man at some stage. :hihi:

Great synth indeed.

The Roland SH-3A has a pretty interesting single oscillator. I love the spongey sound of octave stacked (phase-locked) squares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... rHd7EQ1VuU
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “u-he”