The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Urs wrote:Noise is generated, not a sample or anything. Should be plain white noise :)
That makes me wonder, is the noise waveform the same for every oscillator model in Diva? It sounds like it.

Do different classic analog synths generate different noise spectra at all? I know digital noise can vary a lot depending on how it's produced (which is one reason I prefer digital noise - it's more varied), but I'm guessing all analog noise is more or less uniform to the white or pink curve.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

The noise should be all the same in the different oscillator types. We tried a couple of algorithms and settings until Howard was satisfied :)

Like the actual oscillator sound, the biggest difference between synths is the filter and VCA sound a k a "the sawtooth shape myth". The difference between sawtooths on most synths is neglectable, i.e. inaudible and invisible. The "curviness" of a sawtooth is always related to filtering afterwards, never really to the VCO itself. Methinks its similar with white/pink noise.

Any chances to see Re Diva one day ?

Reason would love it for sure ! :D

Urs wrote:The noise should be all the same in the different oscillator types. We tried a couple of algorithms and settings until Howard was satisfied :)

Like the actual oscillator sound, the biggest difference between synths is the filter and VCA sound a k a "the sawtooth shape myth". The difference between sawtooths on most synths is neglectable, i.e. inaudible and invisible. The "curviness" of a sawtooth is always related to filtering afterwards, never really to the VCO itself. Methinks its similar with white/pink noise.
i agree with you on oscillator shapes in most cases...but noise is a more complex and random affair...its shape i bet can't even be matched...but u can analyze the frequencies it mainly occupies and the peaks.
currently in Diva white noise is stronger in the middle high frequencies (1k till 10k) and weaker and sparse in the middle lows (50hz till 1k)
a comparison would be very useful with the originals here.
i bet the results for the analogs would be either more balanced...or if not more predominant in middle lows than middle highs.
getting it right is essential for how noise mixes with oscillator shapes and how noise will sound modulated.
at the present time imo it is not spot on. it sounds a little brittle and dry.
maybe a "darker noise variant" in the modification settings could be useful.
Last edited by olikana on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paranoiak wrote:Any chances to see Re Diva one day ?

We can't multicore REs and we have no control of optimisation on assembly level. Thus I don't believe that Diva RE will be doable anytime soon, but we're contemplating a monophonic synth derived from Diva's toolbox, with added RE features.

Re the noise issue... I'll check with Clemens and Howie. Can't promise anything right now.

I've found Diva handles noise better than most digital synths, in that the noise really seems to be embedded into the sound texture rather than just piped onto it like cake topping.

One thing that annoys me with synth noise in general is sub bass and lower frequencies in the noise. Not really needed or useful, even in brown noise, and it just means in most cases you'll definitely be loading a highpass after the synth if this noise is going to happen alongside any built up music.

Of course, for "power sound FX" on their own or for scores/soundtracks, that rumble is really useful and in fashion as it's an easy way to create an unsettled feeling in the listener.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

goin by ear the diva noise has 2 main differences from what i'd consider a typical analog noise:
1) the roll off at the top is not steep enough or starts too late. at 10k, 12k , 14k and 16k it has higher values than u'd hear in most analog synths
2) it misses some body: it needs a boost around 500hz -1k (in the lower frequencies seems fine actually )

obviously the current noise cannot be touched....it would screw compatibility with all presets/projects done so far. but a darker variety option would defenetly be welcome here.

i'd be curious to hear the juno noise vs diva's noise....if i remember it well it was way more full bodied and way more rolled off at the top.

Interesting!
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Sendy wrote:One thing that annoys me with synth noise in general is sub bass and lower frequencies in the noise. Not really needed or useful, even in brown noise, and it just means in most cases you'll definitely be loading a highpass after the synth if this noise is going to happen alongside any built up music.
+1 :tu:

I rarely use noise in synths which can't filter the low end because of that. More synths should have something like Massives "Bright Noise" mode as an addition to pink and white noise :)

Cheers
Dennis

Have to say i preferred the tone of 1.0, was a tad more dirty but felt more organic to me, i like the new envelope feel though so i'll take that trade hehe. any tips on how to get similar grunge out of the new version? feedback and noise definitely help as well as simply not letting the filter go too high, alltho this is a bit bothersome with hpf and bpf based sounds.

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Sendy wrote:One thing that annoys me with synth noise in general is sub bass and lower frequencies in the noise. Not really needed or useful, even in brown noise, and it just means in most cases you'll definitely be loading a highpass after the synth if this noise is going to happen alongside any built up music.
+1 :tu:

I rarely use noise in synths which can't filter the low end because of that. More synths should have something like Massives "Bright Noise" mode as an addition to pink and white noise :)

Cheers
Dennis
A related problem I'm finding (in synths in general, not particularly Diva) is when you're adding lots of waveforms together, and you get a huge pileup of low frequencies and there's no hipass filter to drain them off. I used to snark at non-resonant HP filters in synths because they do nothing "special", but when I got into making sounds for tracks... so useful!

Often when you're adding one waveform to another, you're not even wanting the fundamental and lower part of the 2nd wave, which is why a tone control on each oscilattor (Saurus is a good example of this) is really welcome.

I just bought Massive actually (see my sig :hihi: ), having a look around it now. The multiple noise profiles are very welcome, even if they are samples. Most synths don't do enough with noise!

Sendy wrote:Often when you're adding one waveform to another, you're not even wanting the fundamental and lower part of the 2nd wave...
Good tip for Zebra (use "fundamental" spectral effect) :tu:

Sendy wrote:I've found Diva handles noise better than most digital synths, in that the noise really seems to be embedded into the sound texture rather than just piped onto it like cake topping.
+1
Yep...so true.

Urs wrote:
Paranoiak wrote:Any chances to see Re Diva one day ?

We can't multicore REs and we have no control of optimisation on assembly level. Thus I don't believe that Diva RE will be doable anytime soon, but we're contemplating a monophonic synth derived from Diva's toolbox, with added RE features.
Does that mean the same for ACE and Zebra also then? :(

Return to “u-he”