The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

bk wrote:
Urs wrote: Amazing! But how do I detune the voices?
It's analog...just wait a few minutes, they'll detune themselves. :wink: :)
Nope. Their Oscillators are DCOs and they all share the same clock source. Thus they are in purrfect sync for any given frequency. Their stability is immaculate.

When I compare the Juno against the Sh-09 I have to permanently correct the tuning of latter.

jensa wrote:Clock DiVA maybe?
Now there's a band you don't hear about very often these days, though I believe Adi Newton is still making music (somewhere in deepest, darkest Cornwall).

Urs wrote:Hmmm... regarding a/b tests... last night I had the idea of writing a little software that takes an audio file of a single note played on a vintage synth as an input. The other input would be a hand-matched preset for the Diva engine.

The software would then analyse oscillator phase and frequency of the audio sample.

Then it would start an iterative process rendering the software synth at the right frequency and phase, and measuring how good the phase inverted signals cancel each other out. With each iteration it would adjust parameters slightly and compare to previous results. This would be a genetic algorithm, with "silence" being the selection criteria (there may be more though)

The best result would show the exact difference between the original and the simulation.
The mind reels....

When do we get to test it? :D
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

Now we're talking ;)
Eternitysound VST Banks

Urs wrote:That said, the problem with these synths - especially that Japanese brand with the mellow sounding name - are the actual restrictions. I'm used to create plugins with very wide parameter ranges, but these synths operate in a rather narrow band of freedom. Even if I can get the filter right, many people will be disappointed because of its lack of overdrive. The idea is to put a marker on the knob that says "go past this point to get beyond reminiscence".

;) Urs
If you could get the overdriven sound of the Memorymoog filter even close, without too much digital harshness, I would be a happy man. :love:

machinesworking wrote:If you could get the overdriven sound of the Memorymoog filter even close, without too much digital harshness, I would be a happy man. :love:
The problem is, the filter on my unit sounds *very* harsh all by itself. It has hardly any of the properties often attributed to the Moog sound. It might get better after an overhaul though.

Also, I had to give the previous owner of my unit the promise that I will not emulate his Memorymoog, especially because of its screetchy filter sound :oops:

xybre wrote:When do we get to test it? :D
As I said in the first post, it's currently nothing more than a knob desert. It's going to be a byproduct targeted at people who find ACE too complicated.

No-one should expect too much from it. It's going to be yet another 2 VCO - VCF - VCA synth with an LFO or two and 2 envelopes. It won't even have a stereo signal path.

Cyforce wrote:
Urs wrote:Hmmm... regarding a/b tests... last night I had the idea of writing a little software that takes an audio file of a single note played on a vintage synth as an input. The other input would be a hand-matched preset for the Diva engine.

The software would then analyse oscillator phase and frequency of the audio sample.

Then it would start an iterative process rendering the software synth at the right frequency and phase, and measuring how good the phase inverted signals cancel each other out. With each iteration it would adjust parameters slightly and compare to previous results. This would be a genetic algorithm, with "silence" being the selection criteria (there may be more though)

The best result would show the exact difference between the original and the simulation.

Wonder if that could work and if it could help to convince the naysayers.
This sounds like a great "cloning" tool :D
Would be surely nice, to have a softsynth, which can produce many facettes of old analog synths, specially if it has such superb quality like ace.

If there would be later many of such "cloned" synths in there, would Diva on the first hear the false name i think, also if Diva is only a shortcut for 4 words, the most users will think diva - opera/singer.
And under the point of the "cloning" why not something like...

....Fantomas :lol:
I am am avid Fantomas fan.you do realize to utter the lord of terrors name will bring instant death.Juve and Fandor cant save you maybe DIVA can.
LOL
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Urs wrote:
machinesworking wrote:If you could get the overdriven sound of the Memorymoog filter even close, without too much digital harshness, I would be a happy man. :love:
The problem is, the filter on my unit sounds *very* harsh all by itself. It has hardly any of the properties often attributed to the Moog sound. It might get better after an overhaul though.

Also, I had to give the previous owner of my unit the promise that I will not emulate his Memorymoog, especially because of its screetchy filter sound :oops:
IMO it's much less annoying than the typical pure sign wave tone you get with a fed back filter, also IMO a larger range than the typical Moog filter, and yeah, you put the cutoff at 25% emphasis at 50-75% and contour amount somewhere around 50%, mess with it a bit and it's pretty dammed cool, a lot of variety in that limited range. You can definitely go straight into pure distortion easily enough. I wouldn't call it harsh though. :love:

F*ck that? Do it anyway, it's not going to be dead on, but it's a great effect! At least the general idea eh?

Urs wrote:The idea is to put a marker on the knob that says "go past this point to get beyond reminiscence".

;) Urs
That's what I like to hear! The past should guide us, but not bind us.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Urs wrote:The idea is to put a marker on the knob that says "go past this point to get beyond reminiscence".

;) Urs
That's what I like to hear! The past should guide us, but not bind us.
It's a difficult thing though. The old synths are designed to always be in the sweet spot zone. You'll often hear people rave that "my analogue synth just can't sound bad". That's because the parameter ranges are clamped in tame regions. You can flip a dozen slider positions up side down and you still have a usable result.

Now if I add an extra 10% to those ranges, okay, but if I add too much then people will complain that "it's not like an analogue synth at all, it's too easy to make it sound bad".

So there are difficult decisions to be made. I'd rather keep it tame in Diva and then offer deeper options in whatever modules make it into Zebra.

;) Urs

Have two versions. One that is always in the sweet spot and one that goes to 11 (or 15!)
The untamed version can load presets from the Sweet version and possibly the other way around (but if any value goes beyond Sweet zone, a notification is shown about this and the sound may not be as it sounded in the no-stops version)
Definitely a cool project.
//L

Well, Zebra could be the no-stops version ;-)

I will not complain about that 8)
//L

Return to “u-he”