Ultimate Zebra Challenge : Greatest Synth Sounds of All Time

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All

Not sure if you guys and gals have seen it but theres a cool article on music radar.. the greatest synth sounds of all time -

http://bit.ly/ajyVV4

I thought it would be really cool if we recreated all the 40 sounds in Zebra, would a be a great way to promote it's versatility plus would be brilliant to play around with the sounds!

Not sure how we should organise it, does someone want to act as the recipient of the patches and make a little zip file?

(im new to this!)

Cheers

Ben

I like this idea. I'm finding the best way to learn synthesis is trying to control it. If you have a sound your shooting for, it makes a huge difference.

The first one (#40) is the Mellotron sound 'Choir 3'

You can hear it really well in this youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9JUGJlz2A8

The challenge is that this is a looped sample, but that shouldn't stop us.

Best regards,

Gino
Last edited by Gino Cortesi on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gino Cortesi wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9JUGJlz2A8
The challenge is that this is a looped sample, but that shouldn't stop us.
Indeed not. MSEGs are great for "repeated random"

I can't say I exactly agree with the list - no Kraftwerk, TD, JMJ, Vangelis? :shock: D Ramirez's Bodyrox synth is 'Teh Greatest Synth Sound of all Time ...Evar'?

Not that I'm an especially ardent fan of 70's electronica - but those are some pretty big exceptions.

But then I see that the list was compiled by Future Music... :lol:

Anyway FWIW here's my version of the Melotron Male Choir:

Ahtron

It's not perfect - I used Elektrostudio's Tapeotronic as a guide and, going by that, the Melotron is even more lofi than my fairly lofi interpretation. I didn't think it was really necessary to emulate the loop - doesn't the real thing just stop playing once the tape has run through?

The internet if full of completely useless "listings", that were only produced to generate a high pseudo-click-count for the site.
Don't waste time with this shit.

GeorgK wrote:The internet if full of completely useless "listings", that were only produced to generate a high pseudo-click-count for the site. Don't waste time with this shit.
+1
(Bodyrox "Yeah Yeah" has #1 synth sound of all time? A bad joke...)

I still find the challenge itself quite cool. Why don't we look for our own 40 most important classic synth sounds (collect suggestions and then hold a vote) and then see what we can come up with? Ok, maybe 20 or so are good enough.

8)

I think it's an interesting idea too.

Off the top of my head:

The famous Herbie Hancock's Headhunters bass

Polymoog - Vox Humana patch

Aplha Juno - What The? Patch (aka Mentasm, the original Hoover)

Roland D-50 - Soundtrack patch

Vangelis' CS-80 Bladerunner sound

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams synth line (SH-101?)
Last edited by hakey on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's always this list, one I find to be a bit better than FM's http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm

Urs wrote:(collect suggestions and then hold a vote) and then see what we can come up with? Ok, maybe 20 or so are good enough.8)
Yep, that would make a lot more sense :!:

hakey wrote:Vangelis' CS-80 Bladerunner sound
Already done that (or similar) :wink:

Howard wrote:
hakey wrote:Vangelis' CS-80 Bladerunner sound
Already done that (or similar) :wink:
Can't see a patch that's a terrible pun on Bladerunner, Vamgelis or the like - could it perhaps be Creamery?

There's also a nice CS80 in Menno's soundbank.

hakey wrote:Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams synth line (SH-101?)
Should be a Juno 60. The key is to fake the suboscillator properly, and the phase of the pwm in relation to the subosc.

The idea of making our own list is very cool.

Instead of debating which sound is better, let's say that any proposed sound needs 5 votes to become an official challenge.

Anyone can propose a sound, and anyone can vote.

Once a challenge is accepted we start a new thread for it and we can have as many active as we want.

The winner of the challenge is determined when no one thinks they can do better. The patches will be put together and posted for free when we get 40 of them.

Is that over complicating this? Or does that sound interesting?

Best regards,

Gino

Urs wrote:
hakey wrote:Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams synth line (SH-101?)
Should be a Juno 60. The key is to fake the suboscillator properly, and the phase of the pwm in relation to the subosc.
I had it stuck in my head that it was an SH-101, but a quick search gives a variety of possible answers.

Including JP8, Sh101, Juno-60, SH-2, SH-9 ...

This explanation is interesting:

The song was created (thanks to my dad who did work on dave stewarts home) that the sounds are split in pan (listen to the left speaker then the right) its two different sounds.... the punchy one on the left speaker is with a Roland SH-2 and the buzzy string sound is with the Roland Juno-60... my dad said that dave laughed because they had no money to buy better synths at the time.

Return to “u-he”