Zebralette Patch Contest

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmrzycki wrote:I just offered it up in case anyone wanted to show their source of inspiration. :)
That would be great, but the art that is my biggest source of inspiration,
is not allowed at here at KVR.
:hihi:

Here's a thread that might also help some with designing patches for the competition.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ps#4261979

There are other ones...can't find the mseg one from a while ago.
I'll continue searching and post some other design info ones.
edit: Here's another thread with some MSEG tips.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254295

Anyone know of any other U-he sound programming tips threads, from before?
Last edited by mcnoone on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is Hans Zimmer one of the judges :D Or may be Howard :D ??

Great. Il join this contest. I hadnt looked at these threads before but i am starting to build my own sounds for my songs so this should be fun!

abstractcats wrote:Is Hans Zimmer one of the judges :D Or may be Howard :D ??
Hans is on vacation currently (imagine that...) and he never told me his KVR nickname, so I'm not sure. Howie has voted in the past though... I think...

So... a maximum of two patches per person allowed?
Save as native, h2p, or h2p extended?

3ee wrote:So... a maximum of two patches per person allowed?
Save as native, h2p, or h2p extended?
AFAIK they're saved as h2p by default.

Best to save the patch within Zebralette - you'll need to do this anyway to anonymize the patch and, if you want, include a description - then copy your patch(es) from:

Zebra2.data/Presets/Zebralette/

Consider me in! I love zebralette as it focusses purely on the waveform. That gives the whole system a chiptune-like* vibe for me. I imagine a track made entirely with zebralette would have a very distinctive 'waveform gymnastics' kind of vibe to it :)

Edit: If I wynn, I want Uhbik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been eyeing that up for a while.

* Chiptunes in a futuristic, paralell world, that is ;)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Just less than 2 weeks to go!

Might be worth repeating -

Don't use Osc FX "PhaseDist" or "Wrap"!
Last edited by hakey on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do we just send the presets or do you need a demo as well?

No demo - just the presets. :)

And whilst we're at it, if anyone has any suggestions for the next contest please post them here.

hakey wrote:And whilst we're at it, if anyone has any suggestions for the next contest please post them here.
I think it is a cool idea that everybody submitting patches would provide a midi file that represents the patch as well. (with the same name as the patch + suited catogory)(tempo will be embeded into the midi file as well as velocity and other stuff and that would be a great way presenting the patch) :)

I'm asuming that everybody will receive the patches in the contest in order to vote so they will get the midi files too ... imagine the extra fun we will have! :tu:

hakey wrote:Just less than 2 weeks to go!

Might be worth repeating - Don't use Osc FX "PhaseDist" or "Wrap"!
[Whiny voice] But they're my favourite ones!!! [/whiny voice]

What about people using osc presets made by someone else. In another thread, someone mentioned using one of my waveforms for their patch, which is cool by me, but what do the rules say? I was also using a osc preset that wasn't mine earlier, and made a sound with it that I may submit, if possible.

(Try turning animated waveforms into spectromorph tables, that's what I was doing, lol)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
hakey wrote:Just less than 2 weeks to go!

Might be worth repeating - Don't use Osc FX "PhaseDist" or "Wrap"!
[Whiny voice] But they're my favourite ones!!! [/whiny voice]
Unfortunately they're only available in the latest beta, which not everyone will have.

And, before anyone suggests making the beta the default for this contest, there will be some people who just don't use a betas who need to be taken into consideration (one of the early ZPCs was a near disaster precisely because of this beta/no-beta confusion).
I think it is a cool idea that everybody submitting patches would provide a midi file that represents the patch as well.
Yes, it has been suggested before. I quite like it, but, if my memory serves me, it was strongly opposed by some people. And it would be a bit late in the day to make it a requirement for this contest (experience shows that chopping and changing after the contest has been announced is a bad idea).

Certainly worth considering for future contests.

A related midi file contest idea (and another one that was suggested before) would be to have a set midi file for people to make patches for.

Finding a suitable .mid file would be difficult - ideally it would want some kind of cc data (modwheel, AT) and be expressively played (99% of .mid files are hard quantized with constant velocity).

Return to “u-he”