Zebralette Patch Contest

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote:What about people using osc presets made by someone else. In another thread, someone mentioned using one of my waveforms for their patch, which is cool by me, but what do the rules say?
I would hope that what constitutes fair use could be left up to the individual authors' judgement, but, for the record, I think using just the waveforms should be okay (I wouldn't want to have to rule out using the factory OSCs, many of which include useful waveforms)- but using a complete or significant part of an OSC preset with OSC effects and modulation to make a patch obviously wouldn't be fair (and would probable be spotted and commented upon).

Also, where using someone else's waveform, that waveform shouldn't be relied upon as the mainstay of a patch (for example, just sweeping through a wavetable) - a patch would really need to show sufficiently extra tweeking so as to be an author's own work.

And, so that it's on every page of the thread, here's one more mention for -

Please don't use Osc FX "PhaseDist" or "Wrap"!

See 'Rulez and other important stuff' at the top of page 1 for more details.

Hakey I am at the computer lab so I cannot check, did I follow the rules, I am wondering if I need to change anything.

Happy Frog wrote:Hakey I am at the computer lab so I cannot check, did I follow the rules, I am wondering if I need to change anything.
I don't know - have you submitted a patch?

(bmrzycki is in charge of collecting the submissions)

I've received presets from the following users so far: Happy Frog, 3ee, Exhile. And I haven't check the presets to make sure they adhere to the FX settings.

I guess what Happy Frog might be worried about is the issue around the use of factory or other user's wavetables.

I'm struggling to come up with a clear and unambiguous ruling on what is and isn't permissible here. What I would ask is that people just use their common sense - I would hope that it's fairly obvious whether you've added enough original programming to justifiably claim that a patch is your own work.

Yeah, it was the FX settings, I can not remember how I programmed them. Other then that they are all original, and fun to program.

Will design more if I did not adhere to the guide lines, it's all good though.

hakey wrote:I'm struggling to come up with a clear and unambiguous ruling on what is and isn't permissible here. What I would ask is that people just use their common sense - I would hope that it's fairly obvious whether you've added enough original programming to justifiably claim that a patch is your own work.
Yes. In my opinion, part of these competitions isn't just "to win" but also to learn & teach something about the tools in question. With Zebralette it's obvious that novel and/or unexpected uses of custom waveforms and OscFX are the main focus here. Hence I think that anyone who uses a pre-made setting betrickses himself.

Urs wrote: In my opinion, part of these competitions isn't just "to win" but also to learn & teach something about the tools in question.
+1

Still looking for suggestions for the next contest theme - anybody...?

If needs be I'll come up with something, but I think it's much better for these contests if people get involved.

hakey wrote:Still looking for suggestions for the next contest theme - anybody...?

If needs be I'll come up with something, but I think it's much better for these contests if people get involved.
ok how about the best sounding and most unique supersaw :hihi:

Or a sound created without using any oscillators :o

Exhile wrote:
hakey wrote:Still looking for suggestions for the next contest theme - anybody...?
ok how about the best sounding and most unique supersaw :hihi:
Hmm... :?

Exhile wrote:Or a sound created without using any oscillators :o
You mean without using the OSC modules? (The XMF and Comb modules are oscillators of a kind.)

That's certainly a possibility.

hakey wrote:
Exhile wrote:Or a sound created without using any oscillators :o
You mean without using the OSC modules? (The XMF and Comb modules are oscillators of a kind.)

That's certainly a possibility.
That was the idea. That would get people to experiment with the xmf or comb as soundsources.

Return to “u-he”