Relates to ACE, Zebra 2.5, Uhbik, MFM2 beta, Filterscape beta, and various alpha versions
By default my installers will save their .dll files and resources (Zebra2.data, ACE.data etc.) into Vstplugins. Unfortuantely most people have their Vstplugins directory somewhere under C:\Program Files\ - which by default is write protected since Vista. The outcome is, neither of my plugins can properly save preferences, registration codes or presets. In some cases even crashes are possible.
The data folders can however be moved elsewhere, e.g. into your Documents location which then is accessible. Here's an explanation for Zebra, but it works similar for the other plugins aswell:
- in Windows Explorer, find the Vstplugins directory that contains Zebra2.dll. It should also contain a folder called "Zebra2.data"
- move the entire Zebra2.data folder into C:\Users\(you)\Documents\
- right-click Zebra2.data in its new location, and create a shortcut (symbolic link)
- move the shortcut back into the Vstplugins directory that contains Zebra2.dll
- if the shortcut is called "Zebra2.data shortcut", rename it "Zebra2.data"
This way Zebra follows the shortcut to look for its resources. Same for the other plugins.
During the next months I'll work on this a bit more, make the installer even more aware of the issue than it already is and make my stuff deal smoothly with it. Until then please follow the above steps, should you run into this issue.