>>> ZPC#15 - Drum Kit In A Patch <<<

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

>>> ZPC#15 - Drum Kit In A Patch <<<

After a Tyrellean holiday we're back with Zebra and the theme this time is percussion... with a twist. ;)

The task for this contest is to somehow squeeze a drum kit into a single Zebra patch!

There's no rigid definition as to what qualifies as a drum kit or what percussion must be included. All that is required is that the patch should be capable of producing more than one percussion sound (the more the better!).

This may be achieved using keyboard, or velocity splits, some nifty use of the XY pads, or just a gradual change through the key range, say, a kick in low notes, becoming snare-like in the middle of the keyboard and hi-hat-ish at the top end (I think one of Howard's patches does just this?).

In short, it's pretty flexible - 'one patch, several percussion sounds' just about sums it up.

As ever the prize for this contest is pretty damn good - a free choice of one software product from the u-he range!

How to enter

Simply create one or two "Drum Kit in a Patch" patches using Zebra.

Send them (.h2p format) to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum, or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com

(PMing bmrzycki a link to your patch/es is probably more reliable than an email containing .h2p files - in past contests the latter have been known to get lost in transit .)

Rulez and other important stuff:

Deadline for Submissions - 14:00 UTC Friday July 1st

A maximum of two patches per person.

Patches should be anonymized (putting a "?" in the "author" field when saving does the trick).

The winning patch will be decided by a vote (and everyone who submits a patch is expected to vote!).

Please try to ensure that your patch does not exhibit significant - ideally no - audio clipping.

---

The theme for these contests are decided upon by something approaching a democratic/consensual process, so if anyone has ideas for future contests, themes, or just general suggestions, please speak your brains in theJuly Contest Suggestions thread.

Last edited by hakey on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:58 am, edited 11 times in total.

Don't know where to start? Try these articles from Sound On Sound's "Synth Secrets" series:

Synthesizing Percussion
Practical Percussion Synthesis
Synthesizing The Bass Drum
Practical Bass Drum Synthesis
Synthesizing The Snare Drum
Practical Snare Drum Synthesis
Analysing Analogue Percussion
Synthesizing Realistic Cymbals
Practical Cymbal Synthesis
Synthesizing Cowbells & Claves

Also worth a mention - Xhr3v's excellent Vanilla Percussion patches show off Zebra's percussive capabilities very nicely.

---

From an earlier u-he patch contest, some more general advice: Patch Design Tips and Competition Hints and Tips

Last edited by hakey on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Note that for neatness I've decided to run this and future contests by the calendar month. So the deadline for subs to this contest is 5 weeks from today at 10:00 UTC/GMT on Friday July 1st.

Just added a load of links to the second post.

Hopefully that will 'drum up' :roll: some interest...

Twittered it! 8)

Urs wrote:Twittered it! 8)
You have a twitter account? :-o

Edit: Found it :hihi:

Cheers
Dennis

Urs wrote:Twittered it! 8)
:tu:

Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

hakey wrote:Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
A. The drum machine is always on time :hihi:

Resonator63 wrote:
hakey wrote:Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
A. The drum machine is always on time :hihi:
:lol:

A. You only have to punch the information into the drum machine once.

I think I know how to key limit the noise module. 8) ... and everything else that doesn't have a keyboard limiting feature.

3ee wrote:I think I know how to key limit the noise module. 8) ... and everything else that doesn't have a keyboard limiting feature.

any hints? ;-)

rsmus7 wrote:
3ee wrote:I think I know how to key limit the noise module. 8) ... and everything else that doesn't have a keyboard limiting feature.

any hints? ;-)
A mod map in "key" mode modulating the volume of the noise (or whatever) module maybe? :)

Cheers
Dennis

Like this:

Cheers
Dennis

Edit: Added some boring rectangles (with way to much glow :hihi:) to the picture.

Yep, that's it! :)
Now I hope that a couple of us (all of us :D ) will be using this so that we can't tell which patch is which.

Return to “u-he”