>>> ZPC#15 - Drum Kit In A Patch <<<

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having an extra "keyboard" tab would keep things more in place... and besides, the keyboard modulator (or how to call it) needs an updates imo, I find it hard to work with, even if I resize Zebra.

And imagine the possibilities if we got "keyboard" besides keyfollow as a modulation source. :)

3ee wrote:And imagine the possibilities if we got "keyboard" besides keyfollow as a modulation source. :)
You don't have to imagine - it's already there. Use a ModMap as source, mode = "Key".

Hey, thanks Howard! :)

I always use the ModMapper .. but didn't realize to use it that way, although it was in may face all along. :D
... besides I almost always got the MMapper booked with other tasks :( ..and tend to put it aside for when I really have to use it.

I'm using the "alternate" and "random" modulation sources in Tyrell and sure hope to see them in Zebra as well... that way we can use the MMapper for other tasks. :)

3ee wrote:I'm using the "alternate" and "random" modulation sources in Tyrell and sure hope to see them in Zebra as well... that way we can use the MMapper for other tasks. :)
Or better, just few more ModMappers. In Zebra2, flexibility should always trump specialization (IMHO).

Just under two weeks to go.

Going by the number of thread views I guess this contest is likely to be a low turn out. :(

Has anyone been put off by the difficulty of the task? If so, would some basic tutorials help: eg. 'How to make a simple kick', 'How to make a snare', 'How to make a keyboard split'... etc.'?

I have already 3 different patches
I'm working on,
I don't think it is too difficult,
just needs a bit more thinking on how to orgnize the sounds and keysplits etc than just doing a single patch,

hakey wrote: Has anyone been put off by the difficulty of the task?
Honestly, I've been kinda put off by the fact that we got to make the whole kit in one patch.. but anyway... got past the keyboard thing :) and I'll be in with at least one patch.

3ee wrote: I've been kinda put off by the fact that we got to make the whole kit in one patch.
Well, of course, it needn't be a *whole* drum kit (kick, snare, toms, splash, rides, hi-hats, cowbell, moar cowbell etc...) - all that's asked for is a patch that can make a few different percussion sounds. :)

One week to go.

Judging by the low number of thread views (less than 2000 - usually it's at around the 4000 mark by now) I guess this is going to be a very low turn out.

A bit depressing from my point of view :( , but the good news for those taking part is that they will of course stand a higher chance of winning. ;)

I'll surely submit my patches

and hopefully some others might too

The only thing i don't know how to do yet is to map the diferent sounds through the keyboard. :(

Is there any easy way to do this?

Could i make (for example) separated patches and then load them into a single patch and mapping into the keyboard?

For example, i have a kick in a patch, a snare in another patch, and a closed hat in another. There is any way to load all of them into a new patch and map them on different places in keyboard?

(I think this is too much...hehe)

Can anybody tell me how to map, at least. I downloaded the Spanish Manual in PDF, but there is nothing about how to map.
And is the first time i use this VSTi. Polyvalent, complex and impressive by the way.

Thanks in advance. :)

There's no easy way to take two separate patches and make them into one.

I think the trick for this contest will be finding various ways to create multiple keyboard splits so that different sub components of the patch are assigned to different parts of the keyboard.

One way to do this is using the Osc -> Key Gain assignments (click on the Osc tabs at the bottom of the UI). Another way is to use the ModMapper (see 3ee and Howard's posts above).

IrionDaRonin wrote: For example, i have a kick in a patch, a snare in another patch, and a closed hat in another. There is any way to load all of them into a new patch and map them on different places in keyboard?
The two main tools you have here are:

a) Key->Gain diagrams on the OSC(#) and FMO tabs - you could for example have an oscillator only play on C3 by having a spike on that note and zero amplitude on the rest

b) MMap modules - like envelopes or LFOs, these are modulation sources. In 'key' mode, you can get something like the Key->Gain diagrams with all 127 steps. The MMaps are totally a secret electronic battle weapon of choice kind of thing, really powerful (and fun!) since Zebra has so much flexibility with mapping mod sources to parameters.

Apart from these, key-scale can be manipulated for most sound generating modules (OSC, FMO, Combs, Filters) - one might wish to have e.g. a fixed frequency FMO, this can be done by turning key-scaling to 0.00. Sort of the reverse: most filters can get to a self-oscillating state or very close, key-follow to full can make them sing in tune.

I think I'm about where you're at, have some sounds to slap together ... there's not really an automatic way to do this, but manually knob by knob is a chance to refine and optimize, I guess. (I started all sub-patches with a single preset with everything turned off, conforming to a list of what modules went with what sounds, but got pretty careless along the way :lol:)

Definitely a 'limitations are opportunities' sort of contest.

([e] beaten by Hakey by 45 minutes ... I swear I was multi-tasking breakfast and multiple cups of coffee with this post, which might also explain the length of it...)

xh3rv wrote:[e] beaten by Hakey by 45 minutes
but a much more comprehensive explanation than mine. :)

Thanks you very much xh3rv.

Well, i'm not a sound ingenier after all, hehe.
So all this stuff about modulation and mapping, etc is a bit complicated (yet) for me. I'm learning about it everyday.

But as you said, i would like to have a blank patch, with all this modulation already created with parameters to zero. I just would rewrite over it with my actual patches. Copying the parameters one by one from another Zebra demo instance with my patches.

Do you know if there is somewhere a blank patch like this?
It would be useful for persons like me who don't know so much about modulation, sources or mapping.

And also, maybe with this blank patch, more people could makes their entries for this contest.

I just wanted to do a basic drumkit with 4 or 5 different sounds.

I will try (with a great effort) all that you told me anyway. So thanks.

I read about your hint "a)" so this means i only could make a drum kit with 4 sounds? Due the oscillators number which are just 4. One oscillator per sound?

Have a good day. :)

Return to “u-he”