Zebralette Patch Contest #2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zebralette Patch Contest #2

The synth chosen this month is Zebralette and as it recently became a free synth it seems appropriate that the contest should be freestyle - that's to say that there are no constraints on the type, genre, style of patch that may be submitted.

As ever the prize for this contest is pretty good - a free choice of one nfr* software product from the u-he range!

How to enter
  • Get Zebralette here.
  • Simply create one or two patches using Zebralette.
  • Send your .h2p format patches to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum (upload the .h2p files to an on-line file share site, such as box.net, and then PM bmrzycki a link), or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com.**
Rulez and other important stuff:
  • A maximum of two patches per person may be submitted.
  • Patches should be anonymized. Putting a "?" in the "author" field when saving does the trick.
  • The winning patch will be decided by a vote.
  • In order to be eligible for the prize patch submitters must vote - no vote no prize!
  • Try to ensure that your patch does not exhibit significant - ideally no - audio clipping.
  • Please DO NOT! send any patches to me (hakey). KVR member bmrzycki collects the patches for the contest.
  • Please DO! carefully read through the instructions under "How to enter" and "Rulez and other important stuff".
  • The deadline for submissions is 14:00 UTC/GMT November 1st
*not for resale
**PMing bmrzycki is probably the more reliable method - emails have been known to get lost in transit.

The themes for these contests are decided upon by something approaching a democratic/consensual process, so if anyone has ideas for future contests, themes, or just general suggestions, please speak your brains in the "November Patch Contest: suggestions" thread which will appear within the next week or so.

Last edited by hakey on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Zebralette Tips
  • There's a simple EQ within the ModFX unit which can be found under Effects in the bottom LH corner:

Turn ModFX 'On', EQ 'On' and Mix all the way to its left. Sweep the High and Low 'CutFreq' knobs with different amounts of 'Boost' to hear the effect. I guess that used this way they function as high and low shelf EQ stages?
  • Check the preset UH Resonant Pad for one way to create a swept resonant filter sound without using a filter - it's all happening within the spectromorph waveform.
  • If that's too complicated there are two OscFX that do conventional subtractive filtering: 'Filter' - a combination of lowpass (negative values) and highpass (positive values) filters, and 'Bandworks' - a combined bandpass (positive) and notch filter (negative).
  • As the patch info saved with a preset can't easily be read it might be an idea to indicate within the patch name where controller modulation has been assigned - (mw) for modwheel, (at) for aftertouch, (pw) for pitchwheel.
  • Unlike Zebra, Zebralette's MSEG doesn't have a speed control, but MSEG presets imported from Zebra keep the speed they were originally saved with. Look for MSEG presets with '4th', '8th' and '16th' in their names.
  • The MSEG can be used as a note sequencer. Set MSEG 'Value Snap' to 12 (right click within the MSEG graph) and have the MSEG selected as the Osc Tune 'Mod', also set to 12.00. Each of the 12 divisions of the MSEG Y axis will now be tuned to a different note of the octave. The effect can be enhanced by modulating volume with a synced downward-sloping saw LFO.
  • Apart from MSEG, you can get also rhythms by leaving a few Waves blank and modulating WaveWarp with LFO (see e.g. local preset "Gravytrain").
  • A crude reverb effect can be had using the multitap delay mode with very short delay times (1 to 5% at the 1 sec setting) no 'Feedback', but high (50+) 'X-back'.
  • The VCA can be switched to gate mode leaving the main EG for something else.
  • Look for interesting combinations of OSCFX + OSCFX modulations.
  • RTFM ;)
Other Useful Stuff

Patch Design Tips

General Competition Tips

Last edited by hakey on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Cool, might give this one a lash again. Wasn't too impressed with my attempt with the first Zebralette comp, to the extent that I ended up not entering it... played with Zebralette a bit more since then, so game on ;)
Last edited by GeorgeZ on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternitysound VST Banks

This will be fun :)

Cheers
Dennis

Thanks for these amazing contests, U-he.

It's nice to have some oportunities, for others and me, in the musical world to get these big synths for people without money and legit.

I already sent my patches.

Have fun making patches as i do while learning synthesis and good luck everyone. :)

@ the three previous posts :tu:

If anyone has any good Zebralette specific hints and tips I'll put them in the second post.

hakey wrote:If anyone has any good Zebralette specific hints and tips I'll put them in the second post.
A couple of "tricks" people might not have discovered:
1) The Chorus effect contains Zebralette's global "EQ" - learn how to use it well.
2) Apart from MSEG, you can get also rhythms by leaving a few Waves blank and modulating WaveWarp with LFO (see e.g. local preset "Gravytrain").
Last edited by Howard on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hakey wrote:If anyone has any good Zebralette specific hints and tips I'll put them in the second post.
- Even though Zebralette doesn't have a filter, that doesn't mean you can't get a pretty cool filtered-type sound. This can be done in several ways:
1 - modulating the "filter" OSCFX.
2 - Draw waveforms and modulate the wavewarp to resemble a normal VS filtered wave. (use what oscillator mode you are familiar with atm, the result can be achieved with all oscillator wave modes)

-If this isn't obvious enough, the VCA can be switched to gate mode leaving the main EG for something else.

-To get the most of it: find cool combinations of OSCFX + OSCFX modulations.

-If possible (usually applicable), assign the Modulation Wheel or ... something to change the sound in a way or another (preferable suiting the initial patch idea or just standard pitch modulation or whatever)

-Play, have fun, avoid the "superwave" osc mode if not necessary, discover the magic of a SINGLE ZEBRA OSCILLATOR! (remember: the OSCFX are real time spectral alterations based on the waveform and wave mode... and obviously the oscillator effect :) )

-Usually, use the build-in effects as a final touch and don't overuse them.

-Finally, optimize the patch to better suit the patch result you are after.. i.e bass, lead, pad , keys, FX or something else, this includes some extra final " objective" tweaks and the overall patch loudness as well.

PS If you think you've done a great patch, don't just rush and submit it right away... give it some hours rest and you might fix or change something for the better once you get back.

Hope this helps a bit,
Cheers,
3ee

Howard wrote:The Chorus effect contains Zebralette's global "EQ"=
Is my thinking about high and low shelf EQ stages right (see the first point in the second post)?

hakey wrote:Is my thinking about high and low shelf EQ stages right (see the first point in the second post)?
Sure - trial and error is best :)
BTW typo "If that's two complicated" > "too"

Howard wrote:BTW typo "If that's two complicated" > "too"
:dog: :oops:

I have a doubt.
When you open your own patch, the properties text doesn't show?

I mean that zone where you put the description of the patch, etc. I can't see them when open patches.
There is any way to see them?

Have a good day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:I mean that zone where you put the description of the patch, etc. I can't see them when open patches.
There is any way to see them?
The only way to see the patch information (author, description, usage) is by clicking on 'save patch' in the 'presets' section.

hakey wrote:The only way to see the patch information (author, description, usage) is by clicking on 'save patch' in the 'presets' section.
Thanks Hakey ;)

Have a good day :)

Return to “u-he”