Diva's Modifications system

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone give me a few pointers on how i can use the modifications system, like the rectify, add etc. i read the manual and basically i understand what its supposed to do yet in practice i cant seem to figure it out, to me its not so cut and dry like lfo's and envelope's

Thanks in advanced (by the way i am LOVING the rev 2 in the bite filter)

Rectify: It basically makes all negative values positive. A common use for this is to route the pitch wheel to it to get the same modulation with positive and negative pitch wheel movements.

Invert: It inverts a signal. The use of this in Diva is rather limited since all modulations can be positive and negative. But if you want to modulate something (like the cutoff freq for example) positive with one source (like an env) and negative with another source (like the modwheel) and don't want to use 2 modulation slots it can be useful. Just invert either the envelope or the modwheel.

Add: Simply adds the two sources. You can use it if you want to modulate something with 2 sources but don't want to use a second modulation slot. Just add the two sources and use the add modifier in the slot instead.

Multiply: It multiplies two sources. Let's say you have env1 routed to the filter and the volume. Now you want to make the filter modulation velocity sensitive. You can't use the velocity slider of the env since it would also affect the volume. Multiply is the solution to this. Simply multiply the env by the velocity and use it in the modulation slot of the cutoff instead.

I hope this helps :)
Just from the top of my head. There are some more uses but this should give you a basic idea!
I suggest you to check out my factory presets since I use the modifiers a lot on some of them.

I'm sure someone with better english will post a better explanation soon :)

Cheers
Dennis
Last edited by Bronto Scorpio on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thank you Bronto! i will try this as soon as i get to my studio by the way i loved your presets on Diva, i try never to use presets but i had to use SN 1054 it was just lovely and was perfect for the track :) cheers!
I love music but more than that, I love making it

Bronto Scorpio wrote:I'm sure someone with better english will post a better explanation soon :)
Nah, that's well explained Bronto :)

Well, maybe just one thing...
Just ass the two sources and use the add modifier in the slot instead.
You may not want to try ass'ing the two sources. Well.. unless you're into that sort of thing ;)

PAK wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote:I'm sure someone with better english will post a better explanation soon :)
Nah, that's well explained Bronto :)

Well, maybe just one thing...
Just ass the two sources and use the add modifier in the slot instead.
You may not want to try ass'ing the two sources. Well.. unless you're into that sort of thing ;)
:hihi:
I'll correct that! Thanks :oops:

Cheers
Dennis

homunculus wrote:thank you Bronto! i will try this as soon as i get to my studio by the way i loved your presets on Diva, i try never to use presets but i had to use SN 1054 it was just lovely and was perfect for the track :) cheers!
I'm glad you like them!

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Invert: It inverts a signal. The use of this in Diva is rather limited since all modulations can be positive and negative. But if you want to modulate something (like the cutoff freq for example) positive with one source (like an env) and negative with another source (like the modwheel) and don't want to use 2 modulation slots it can be useful. Just invert either the envelope or the modwheel.

Cheers
Dennis
Invert is also useful when using 'Add' as you can invert one of the two modulators... it is cool to put both env's in add as you can make lots of complex env shapes that way

thanks guys i followed your tips and now i can hear what it does, its actually making sense now! :) thank you

The Modifications panel has quite a a lot of tricks up its sleeve, despite the limited number of elements.

For instance try adding a square wave LFO to an inverted lagged version of itself, or multiplying a sine LFO with a rectified quantized version of itself... etc. etc..

hello howard, im sorry for being so stupid but i have no idea how to do add a square wave LFO to an inverted lagged version of itself, or multiply a sine LFO with a rectified quantized version of itself, i have diva in front of me right now, and i put some parameters in the modifications but nothing happens so I know im doing wrong :( sorry for my stupidity and thank you so much for your time

Howard wrote:For instance try adding a square wave LFO to an inverted lagged version of itself
I'm sure I probably did this wrong, but I tried this and ended up with some patches that sounds really great - until they seem to crash Diva. That is, it stops making sound, and I can't get it to make any more sound until I re-load a new instance of Diva.

Here are some of those DANGEROUS (?!?!) modification table-mongering patches (modified themselves from some of Ingo's sounds):

http://www.altruistmusic.com/uhe/amod8.h2p

http://www.altruistmusic.com/uhe/amod9.h2p

http://www.altruistmusic.com/uhe/amod10.h2p

Sounds great until it breaks, though! I feel a bit like Igor in Young Frankenstein... :?

andrelafosse wrote:
Howard wrote:For instance try adding a square wave LFO to an inverted lagged version of itself
I'm sure I probably did this wrong, but I tried this and ended up with some patches that sounds really great - until they seem to crash Diva. That is, it stops making sound, and I can't get it to make any more sound until I re-load a new instance of Diva.

Here are some of those DANGEROUS (?!?!) modification table-mongering patches (modified themselves from some of Ingo's sounds):

http://www.altruistmusic.com/uhe/amod8.h2p

http://www.altruistmusic.com/uhe/amod9.h2p

http://www.altruistmusic.com/uhe/amod10.h2p

Sounds great until it breaks, though! I feel a bit like Igor in Young Frankenstein... :?
What version are you using?

hey andrelafosse how can i dowload those patches, it just takes me to another web page, and the right click save target as doesnt work in mac

There is danger potential... we took some precautions but if you set rectifyer input to add and an add input to rectify, this whole thing can blow up instantly. Circular routings with add or multiply are highly unrecommended. I prevented some but not all combinations :oops:

pdxindy wrote:Invert is also useful when using 'Add' as you can invert one of the two modulators... it is cool to put both env's in add as you can make lots of complex env shapes that way
Howard wrote:The Modifications panel has quite a a lot of tricks up its sleeve, despite the limited number of elements.

For instance try adding a square wave LFO to an inverted lagged version of itself, or multiplying a sine LFO with a rectified quantized version of itself... etc. etc..
Exactly! The fun really starts when you start to combine the various modifiers :)
homunculus wrote:hello howard, im sorry for being so stupid but i have no idea how to do add a square wave LFO to an inverted lagged version of itself, or multiply a sine LFO with a rectified quantized version of itself, i have diva in front of me right now, and i put some parameters in the modifications but nothing happens so I know im doing wrong :( sorry for my stupidity and thank you so much for your time
If you want to add a inverted version of LFO1 to itself for example just select LFO1 at the inverter modifier and LFO1 and invert at the add modifier.
homunculus wrote:hey andrelafosse how can i dowload those patches, it just takes me to another web page, and the right click save target as doesnt work in mac
Yep! This can be a bit annoying. Use right click (on the filename in your internet browser) -> Save target as (Or however it is called).
Urs wrote:There is danger potential... we took some precautions but if you set rectifyer input to add and an add input to rectify, this whole thing can blow up instantly. Circular routings with add or multiply are highly unrecommended. I prevented some but not all combinations :oops:
:hihi:
I use the modifiers extensively and never had a problem though :)

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “u-he”