Any FM in u-he's future?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote: Once you go beyond a tickler being tickled by a tickler I start to lose any grip on the outcome :cry:
I guess that's why I'm happy with just four operators and four potential modulators with non-sine-based waveforms... It covers a huge ground as it is...
+1

Howard wrote:
Sendy wrote: Once you go beyond a tickler being tickled by a tickler I start to lose any grip on the outcome :cry:
I guess that's why I'm happy with just four operators and four potential modulators with non-sine-based waveforms... It covers a huge ground as it is...
+1
Very true, but not some well known ground the FS1R is capable of... Also, FM is hard enough on its own. It benefits greatly from a UI designed around FM. Regardless of how anyone feels about the sound, I think most would agree that FM8 does a nice job of making it easier to see what is going on. This is something that isn't likely to come in a modular or semi-modular. It requires a synth focused on FM...

Yes, I agree about FM8. I like it a lot, and used the hell out of FM7 before that, but I just don't think it goes far enough. For me, it's not about losing track when stacking multiple operators (I'm not aiming for a specific outcome most often), but about *seeing what happens*, which is often incredibly inspiring. I love the way FM can go from pure and pristine to brash and nasty so easily, and with so much character. It's definitely great for leads!

I think having the high-low limits, like in Z3ta+ would be really important for reigning it all in and making it truly usable in live performance setting. Yes, it can get out of hand rather quickly without limits. But, with limits, 7-bit (MIDI) ranges could allow for beautiful, subtle changes in timbre, and over multiple stacked operators, not so subtle, but still 'reasonable'--that is, it wouldn't have to devolve into a chaotic FM noise soup.

Could be really cool! :D
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

4 operators are not enough? Heck, I get a lot of mileage even from 2 :)

I did make a 13 OP FM synth in Tassman, but it was a nightmare to control properly.. Now I've taken my FM synthesis studies into the realm of "less operators, crazier interaction".. In 2012, there is little point in using only sinewaves-based old paradigms IMHO..

Reason is great fun in that regard - with Thor you can do FM while processing the carrier/modulators with FX like formant filters etc.

Big up for the FM lovers!

I really like Blue for FM. It's cool, it has some crazy anti-aliasing and people tend to overlooke it, becouse it was really CPU heavy when released. Much better now. And it has amazing cinematic-ish sound.

Actually John told he is planning to make Blue 2. Crazy idea, but imagine how EPIC it would be, if Urs made a colaboration with Papen guys? :p

Anyway, I'd be absolutely happy with saw wave in Zebra's FM generator waveform selection. :)

FarleyCZ wrote:I really like Blue for FM. It's cool, it has some crazy anti-aliasing and people tend to overlooke it, becouse it was really CPU heavy when released. Much better now. And it has amazing cinematic-ish sound.
Yes. BLUE is way overlooked. Most of my tracks have the fixed Three: Zebra, BLUE and z3ta+
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Wait and see... we have so many things on our schedule... and a big announcement or two ahead in April/May, and if any of that pans out we'll increase man power even more...

Urs wrote:Wait and see... we have so many things on our schedule... and a big announcement or two ahead in April/May, and if any of that pans out we'll increase man power even more...
something big so soon?

exciting! :)

Subz

djsubject wrote:
Urs wrote:Wait and see... we have so many things on our schedule... and a big announcement or two ahead in April/May, and if any of that pans out we'll increase man power even more...
something big so soon?

exciting! :)

Subz
dunno... but a Zebra update with all what's been promised in the past few months will blow my mind! :!: :shock: :-o
Played with Zebra every single day for a couple of months now...can't wait for the (2.6 expected) update! :)

...but yeah I'm sure Urs was hinting for a bit something else... :hihi: dunno why I always think he's talking about Zebra when he doesn't specifically mention something. :D

The big news are not necessarily related to new products that come out at the day. It's more like that "Hell Froze Over" type of thing, and actually at least two of those. Imagine something along the lines of "Roland licenses D-50 waveforms to u-he" or "Eric Persing contributes Zebra patches", but neither of those it is (even though I wouldn't mind any of these to happen as well)

;) Urs

Urs wrote:The big news are not necessarily related to new products that come out at the day. It's more like that "Hell Froze Over" type of thing, and actually at least two of those. Imagine something along the lines of "Roland licenses D-50 waveforms to u-he" or "Eric Persing contributes Zebra patches", but neither of those it is (even though I wouldn't mind any of these to happen as well)

;) Urs
It's really really unfair to be teasing us like this Urs:(

:hihi:
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

Urs wrote:The big news are not necessarily related to new products that come out at the day. It's more like that "Hell Froze Over" type of thing, and actually at least two of those.
We can wait (anxiously) for the news, we'll need time to prepare .jpgs of surprised kittens

Wow, now you've got me really excited, Urs. "Hell freezing over" means it's probably going to be something really, really cool and unexpected. I can't wait!
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

Urs wrote:...Imagine something along the lines of "Roland licenses D-50 waveforms to u-he"...
That wouldn't happen to be architechtural waveforms now would it? :love:

tetsuneko wrote:
Urs wrote:...Imagine something along the lines of "Roland licenses D-50 waveforms to u-he"...
That wouldn't happen to be architechtural waveforms now would it? :love:
Nope. The problem with those is, we would have to build special oscillators/modes and deliver them in a proprietary format. If we made them available with the current means (e.g. oscillator presets) we would have to somehow prohibit preset sharing, as the waveforms are stored in preset. So basically we would have to buy a full license for a comprehensive set, which at the moment I'm not prepared to do.

That said we have juggled some ideas and talked to Andrew, but I haven't found the time to see it through.

Return to “u-he”