Any FM in u-he's future?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Urs,

IMHO and AFAIK, "trick" with Yamaha FM/PM implementation is limited datawidth, limited width of add/mull and no interpolation on waveform table.

Below is pseudocode for 2 operator algo:
OP0modulator = OP1modAmount*OP1envelope()*OP1output();
OP0phase += pitchToPhase(OP0) + OP0modulator;
wrap(OP0phase);
OP0output = sineTable(OP0phase);

Lets say OP1 operator is 10 bits, envelope are 14 bits, add and multiplication is 14 bits as well and finally we have 1024 sample long wavetable with no interpolation (interpolation needs 2 mulls and 2 adds, that was expensive for Yamaha in those days; and it is clear why they went with PM instead of FM).
It's obvious that this will produce noticably different sound compared to full 32 bit processing, and that you can't emulate that sound by bitreduction of voices/synth output alone.

I think it should be (sortof) easy to emulate "Y tone" in "clean" osc algo by truncating modulators (to simulate limted data/add/mull width) and phase accu (to simulate noninterpolating wavetable). Something like this:
OP0modulator = OP1modAmount*OP1envelope()*OP1output();
OP0phase += pitchToPhase(OP0) + truncate(OP0modulator, modTruncateDepth);
wrap(OP0phase);
OP0output = sineTable(truncate(OP0phase, phaseTruncateDepth));

edit: and on UI there would be two additional controls for each Osc - Quantise Mod and Quantise Phase

Again, this is all IMHO.
cheerz

Yes, I think that any "dirt" is related to table lookups and limitations in bitwidth. I'd leave that up for a a company interested in lofi sounds, unless it becomes easy enough for us to add to our rather hifi algorithms.

Yeah, these points are why I find VOPM to be my favorite FM VST. It's just easy to get that richness, toughness, and grit that reminds me of my childhood playing video games and being very impressed with lots of the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive for you Europeans) sounds I was hearing.

I mean, the Thunder Force IV soundtrack amazes me to this very day. It's really THAT good.

I just have not been able to get those textures with that richness and depth out of FM8, and oh, how I've tried. I like FM8, and have been able to get some excellent sounds out of it, but VOPM just screams!

If Urs was to decide to dive into this, I'd love different processing options: true emulations of these FM chips, especially those in the FS1R, along with updated algorithms that take advantage of what computers can do these days for the ultra smooth sounds that especially DIVA is known for in Divine mode.

Honestly, I can't get enough of Diva... the filters are just so rich and creamy. There's nothing else out there like it, and there are some really good ones on the market these days. I can't wait for the new modules!! :D
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

Return to “u-he”