New DIVA components

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

Which synth's components would you like to see u-he add to DIVA next?

Yamaha CS-80
25%
Oberheim OB-X
27%
Prophet 5 V2
15%
ARP 2500
8%
Synthacon Filters
1%
Roland TB-303 Filters
14%
Synthi
5%
Polyvoks
6%

Total votes: 488

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nokenoku wrote:I personally wouldn't mind to also have modules, which are not coming from any hardware.
That sounds like the job of generic modulars like AAS Tassman and NI Reaktor.
re*MD9@3!Tm^ wrote: DIVA's spirit should be kept by adding modules inspired by vintage synths, not by transforming it into a ZebraDiva hybrid.
You also have to consider DIVA is already at 3 envelope models, 5 oscillator models and 5 filter models for the price of one synth.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I wouldn't mind a resonator like the classic one on the PolyMoog.
Well, I figured since Zebra(HZ) comes with Diva filters, why not
a Zebra resonator in Diva. :wink:

At duophonic setting the Diva can already produce some great Oddity-like sounds. But I sure wouldn't mind seeing something that looks like the Oddity's OSC's mix arrangement, with ring modulation and more direct control of FM, PWM, and S&H/lag manipulation. (Admittedly much of this can be worked around already, but the original Arp layout was such a marvel in terms of the unexpected sounds that resulted from the slightest tweaks.)

That Gforce Oddysey was modeled so well, its still a relevant softsynth after a decade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUn8t9_f9Q
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

pdxindy wrote:What sort of improvement would you like to see?
Just an envelope, which sounds more xxx for bass and key sounds.
(Actually I don't know the right word here.)
Also this envelope should have another knob-to-value-transition, especially for the decay times.

To me the behaviour of the already integrated envelopes feels somehow strange.
Especially turning the decay-knob or moving the decay-slider is awkward.
(And I really don't care, if the originals behaved the same way.)

Speaking of the Decay time:
Imo the times from about 20-30 should have more space on the fader (like 10-30 or even more).
And the times in between 0-20 and especially 50-100 take too much space imo. They have much more space than they need to.
re*MD9@3!Tm^ wrote:DIVA's spirit should be kept by adding modules inspired by vintage synths, not by transforming it into a ZebraDiva hybrid.
:?:
Zebra is a modular synthesizer, where the amount of modules and their connection is not fixed. Not only the modules but everything around it is a completely different thing than DIVA.
DIVA is a rather typical VA-synth with swappable modules. But the signal path and overall layout stays the same.

By adding modules to DIVA, which are not emulated after a certain hardware, it doesn't change anything about the handling or concept of DIVA.
DIVA does not model >a< certain hardware. You can combine modules from different synths, and in the end you get something, which does not resemble any of the originals you took the parts from.
So what changes, if you also include modules without an origin?
electro wrote:That sounds like the job of generic modulars like AAS Tassman and NI Reaktor.
:?:
Again: Completely different concepts.
I (often) don't want to use a fully modular synth. I want to have a simple (yet flexible) workhorse ... like DIVA already is (but as I said I'm not a fan of the envelopes).

The thing is:

DIVA has THOSE filters. Imo THOSE filters are really what makes DIVA strong and set it apart from (most) other software-synths. They just sound/behave different in certain situations.
And actually I'd love to combine THOSE filters with more interesting OSC-sections (Wavetable stuff was already mentioned for example) and digitally clean and flexible envelopes (like from IL Harmor).

To me it makes no difference, if the OSC/envelope-sections are coming from other synths or not. Imo those parts of DIVA are not even special.
They're not the reason, why I'd buy this synth. I'd buy DIVA because of what the filtes offer.

electro wrote:That Gforce Oddysey was modeled so well, its still a relevant softsynth after a decade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUn8t9_f9Q
the GForce guys are awesome. i got the Oddity on my dock. I love the way the slightest tweak on the thing can suddenly lead you to such surprisingly satisfying results, just like an actual Odyssey. But can you imagine how great that plug would be if it had Urs' killer ladder filter on it? (I wonder the same thing about Modular V and timewARP. if only you could swap in software modules like hardware components.)

sometimes I can get Diva sounding remarkably like my black and gold Odyssey. (using the ring modulator on the Eco dual, working around the S & H on the LFO, using the lag, setting the voicing at duophonic of course, and always going through that great ladder.) But it's more miss than hit. It would be great to have the Arp's unique VCO/PWM/Ring/S&H/Mixer configuration on the Diva.

I'd like new envelopes! I find Diva to be really slow and sloppy. Am I missing something?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:I'd like new envelopes! I find Diva to be really slow and sloppy. Am I missing something?
No, I agree. In fact one of the feature requests that came to mind is including envelope segment tuning controls on the trimmer page that would allow us to alter the curve of each segment smoothly from "linear" (the behavior of the current chosen envelope) to pos and neg exponential. This wouldn't affect current presets but allow a lot of flexibility to get to special behaviors needed to optimize a patch.

Alternatively, a special user customizable envelope would do the trick as well.

I sometimes find myself spending a lot of time fiddling with the envelopes trying to get them just so, and then giving up in frustration because I just can't get there. :shrug:

+1 on the envelopes. The new 8080 stuff is pretty much irrelevant without them.

And PLEEEEEEEASE make it Prophet 5 as well. :)

nBeat wrote:I wouldn't mind a resonator like the classic one on the PolyMoog.
I admit I wouldn't say no to a resonator either. But as this would introduce three more filter feedback calculation cycles, it could be also a bit 'expensive' for the CPU.

Maybe a fixed filter design (like the originals, without modulation) won't be too heavy, and also only one unit per Diva instance (not for each voice) after the 'voice card' sum.

Maybe put the resonator in the effect slot?

Yeah I think that would be nice. Although there are already resonator plugins, I just thought that u-he's would sound better. Or a separate u-he resonator plugin?

Only thinking about it. Diva is great as it (she) is, and we had major additions last year. Not demanding anything from u-he, they did their duty and more. It is just that a resonator would make sense in my opinion.

I'm fine with Diva as is... Bazille first!

Breeze wrote:from "linear" (the behavior of the current chosen envelope)
Are you really sure Diva's envelopes are linear? Doesn't sound like that to me at all.

EvilDragon wrote:
Breeze wrote:from "linear" (the behavior of the current chosen envelope)
Are you really sure Diva's envelopes are linear? Doesn't sound like that to me at all.
They're not, that's why "linear" is in quotes. ;) I just meant the "default behavior" of that particular envelope.

pdxindy wrote:I'm fine with Diva as is... Bazille first!
of course :)

DIVA's envelopes are good, but I have often wished for Zebra's attack punch in DIVA. I'm no expert, but I suspect DIVA's envelopes are an area where more work could really benefit authenticity, since many analog synths had very punchy / snappy attacks. I realize that digital synths have distinct advantages over analog in this area, but I also know that my old analog synths had significantly more powerful attacks than most VAs out there, even the best ones.
Last edited by Gonga on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Return to “u-he”