Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Unbelievable.

EDIT: New pagina!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:EDIT: New pagina!
Good to see we're on the same page here ;)

sorry, couldn't resist the pun

Urs wrote:Unfortunately we can't just somehow "transform" Zebra2 into this, it would break backwards compatibility. Thus we need to leave Zebra2 untouched, and build Zebra3 fresh.
Just to clarify this, will Zebra 2 patches work in Zebra 3 ? And if so, will they sound radically different ? And if only 'partially', how so, like what part(s) won't work or sound the same ?

Perimeter Sound wrote:
Urs wrote:Unfortunately we can't just somehow "transform" Zebra2 into this, it would break backwards compatibility. Thus we need to leave Zebra2 untouched, and build Zebra3 fresh.
Just to clarify this, will Zebra 2 patches work in Zebra 3 ? And if so, will they sound radically different ? And if only 'partially', how so, like what part(s) won't work or sound the same ?
anyone else having a groundhogs day feeling?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Perimeter Sound wrote:
First off, we don't know yet.

We have however, after long discussions also with sound designers, concluded that it's best to make Zebra3 a plug-in that can be installed in parallel to Zebra2. We have also decided to keep Zebra2 in development and on sale, most likely in the form of ZebraHZ.

A more recent idea is to incorporate a Zebra2 player into Zebra3, which doesn't allow access to the parameters other than the XY pads. If a Zebra2 patch was loaded into Zebra3, it would atomatically launch the Z2 compatibility mode. While it sounds viable to do, I don't want this idea to get in the way. We'll only do this if it doesn't compromise the future development of Zebra3.

Urs wrote:
Perimeter Sound wrote:
First off, we don't know yet.

We have however, after long discussions also with sound designers, concluded that it's best to make Zebra3 a plug-in that can be installed in parallel to Zebra2. We have also decided to keep Zebra2 in development and on sale, most likely in the form of ZebraHZ.

A more recent idea is to incorporate a Zebra2 player into Zebra3, which doesn't allow access to the parameters other than the XY pads. If a Zebra2 patch was loaded into Zebra3, it would atomatically launch the Z2 compatibility mode. While it sounds viable to do, I don't want this idea to get in the way. We'll only do this if it doesn't compromise the future development of Zebra3.
That would mean that any presets that did not use the X/Y pads would be entirely uncontrollable. And even ones that do use X/Y pads would only be controllable for the specific parameters sent to the X/Y. I like the idea of keeping the legacy Z2 because all presets are still sully functional.

pdxindy wrote:That would mean that any presets that did not use the X/Y pads would be entirely uncontrollable. And even ones that do use X/Y pads would only be controllable for the specific parameters sent to the X/Y. I like the idea of keeping the legacy Z2 because all presets are still sully functional.
It would only be there to accommodate people with lots of presets who do not want to keep 2 separate plug-ins, and those who have Zebra3 and who download/buy Zebra2 presets (intentionally or by accident).

Urs wrote:
pdxindy wrote:That would mean that any presets that did not use the X/Y pads would be entirely uncontrollable. And even ones that do use X/Y pads would only be controllable for the specific parameters sent to the X/Y. I like the idea of keeping the legacy Z2 because all presets are still sully functional.
It would only be there to accommodate people with lots of presets who do not want to keep 2 separate plug-ins, and those who have Zebra3 and who download/buy Zebra2 presets (intentionally or by accident).
Or to put it plainly - Z2 sounds would play back normally in Z3, but would not be editable. To edit legacy patches, load them into Z2 instead.

Urs wrote:

Ahhh... I thought you meant instead of keeping Z2 as well...

Urs wrote: A more recent idea is to incorporate a Zebra2 player into Zebra3, which doesn't allow access to the parameters other than the XY pads. If a Zebra2 patch was loaded into Zebra3, it would atomatically launch the Z2 compatibility mode. While it sounds viable to do, I don't want this idea to get in the way. We'll only do this if it doesn't compromise the future development of Zebra3.
No, for Z2 presets there is Z2.

It would be much more useful to create rules for partitional import Z2 patches. For example, if there are some modules in Z2 and Z3 that behaves similar to some extent, use the Z3 module that is nearest to Z2.

For example, there is LP Vintage2 filter in Z2. And there is the rule that it can be transformed to (as suggested for Z3 there are rearranged filters with division by characteristics) Filter module in "Lowpass" mode with "24db/octave" slope with "Ladder" model using "Hard" overdrive curve (if drive curves won't be baked into the models).

And if modules cannot be converted, skip.

Yep, such a model would be preferrable from our side as well.

We actually intend to come up with some sort of unified preset description language. In this, a preset contains not only the parameter settings but also the module descriptions and signal flow. This could be used to transfer presets from one synth to another, within the boundaries of the individual feature set.

Unsolicited opinion.. I think Zebra3 should be a totally different plugin, so that you can load old projects with Zebra2 instances with no hassle...

But the main question is: would it be viable to include Zebra2 as an additional plugin in Zebra3 package? Or will they be still sold separately even when Zebra3 is out?

- Mario

mabian wrote:Unsolicited opinion.. I think Zebra3 should be a totally different plugin, so that you can load old projects with Zebra2 instances with no hassle...

But the main question is: would it be viable to include Zebra2 as an additional plugin in Zebra3 package? Or will they be still sold separately even when Zebra3 is out?

- Mario
That's one of those big questions.

We would like to continue selling The Dark Zebra and ZebraHZ, maybe as a bundle with our other soundbanks. This will ensure that Zebra2 "lives".

Whether or not Zebra3 also includes a Zebra2 player, or even a full Zebra2 is a completely different issue. I think this depends on too many factors to decide just yet.

Just one request:

Is it possible to add more than 4 envelopes?

E.g. if i try to create a FMO-based patch using already 4 envelopes for volume or fm-amount ont the FMOs it would be great to have one or to (non time-based) envelopes free for other modulation.

I know this would be pure luxury :)

Bang Ali wrote:Just one request:

Is it possible to add more than 4 envelopes?

E.g. if i try to create a FMO-based patch using already 4 envelopes for volume or fm-amount ont the FMOs it would be great to have one or to (non time-based) envelopes free for other modulation.

I know this would be pure luxury :)
You also have the 4 MSEG's

Return to “u-he”