Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Urs wrote:
AnalogGuy1 wrote:Building a "compatibility" mode by embedding the old Z2 engine inside Z3, letting us use favorite old presets (that we like & don't want to edit) in the Z3 carriage? Pure genius. Everyone gets what they want without too much developer overhead (except for the Z3 part of the equation :) )
Yes... I'm just afraid that if we do that, some people would really, really like to edit those sounds... for which they would then have to fire up Z2...

otoh, rudimentary import may be possible... it just won't sound exactly the same...
I think the idea of "compatibility" mode using the Z2 engine + a rudimentary import sounds like a great idea. This would allow the sounds to be used directly and also support bringing them forward as a basis for building new sounds in Z3 and taking them in new directions with the new structure and features Z3 will offer...

is there a maximum number of licenses and v3 upgrades that can be purchased at once per person or corporate entity?

also, what is the license transfer policy?

overhishead wrote:is there a maximum number of licenses and v3 upgrades that can be purchased at once per person or corporate entity?

also, what is the license transfer policy?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278982 :wink:

I'm demoing Zebra 2. I miss some details, like a configurable unison mode (like Reason's Thor) or faster LFO's (like Sylenth). Will Zebra3 improve in these areas? And will it keep the CPU usage?

If you can confirm these points, I'll take Zebra2 now :) if not, I'll wait until I can demo z3.

kyodeejay wrote:I'm demoing Zebra 2. I miss some details, like a configurable unison mode (like Reason's Thor) or faster LFO's (like Sylenth). Will Zebra3 improve in these areas? And will it keep the CPU usage?

If you can confirm these points, I'll take Zebra2 now :) if not, I'll wait until I can demo z3.
Zebra 3 is like a year or maybe more away... Better to purchase Zebra 2 based on Zebra 2, not on what may be there in a future version that is far away

btw, I think Zebra LFO's can go about as fast as Sylenth... I think you can set the rate to 1/256 (1/64th plus rate mod)

kyodeejay wrote:I'm demoing Zebra 2. I miss some details, like a configurable unison mode (like Reason's Thor) or faster LFO's (like Sylenth). Will Zebra3 improve in these areas? And will it keep the CPU usage?
While the most unison-like sounds can be implemented in Zebra already using the oscillator multiplication modes (1x, 2x, 4x, 11x voices), true unison indeed would be useful sometimes.

<4U-he>
For example, if you intended to use fm-synthesis and to fatten the sound, you can't just feed FM-module with eleven-stacked osc, the result would be dirty (desirable soometimes though). Unison does the work fine. But of course FM-modules also have to allow unlock it's phase (but there is also side-effect in instable spectrum if phase of FM is free running, but it's ok when unison is used).
The similar things for non-linear processing.
</4U-he>

Z3 feature request: The ability to rename modules.

Not sure if this has been requested already. Didn't see it in the previous posts.

Last night I set up a patch with some complex modulation, using 4 LFOs and 2 gLFOs. It would have been very helpful if I could have renamed each LFO module to indicate what it's modulating.

I've been a Nord G2 user for ages and take this for granted in G2 land. As a new Zebra user I was kind of surprised I couldn't rename the modules, especially since there's no immediate visual indication as to what's modulating what due to the (otherwise rather slick) "wireless modular" nature of Zebra.

And just so I don't sound entirely like a whiny new user...I'm totally blown away with Zebra! Can't believe I've slept on this synth for so long. Really looking forward to Z3.

Indeed, renaming modules would be useful.

I'd like it if in dropdown menus LFOs would actually be typed as "LFO", not "Lfo" :D

EvilDragon wrote:I'd like it if in dropdown menus LFOs would actually be typed as "LFO", not "Lfo" :D
Me too!!

Awesome, Howie agrees! Please tell Urs to

:D

As I'll allow myself to be surprised by whatever new sound features Z3 might be bringing, I only really have usability wishes:

1: Give visual feedback for Midi-Learn mode and make the mode switchable (look how Ableton does it). The Midi-Learn/Unlearn context-menus behave rather unpredictably when assigning parameters to the X/Y-Pads. The tip in the manual regarding to toggling off midi-learn does not work most of the time.
2: Give a slight visual indication as to which parameter a definable control applies to, if it is not the direct left neighbour. (i.e. a thin black line above)
3: Fix Midi-Learn support for all parameters
4: Highlight the connected modulator when hovering over its definable control with the mouse

I would really love to see 1-3 in Z2 already.

Cheers
Henning

When will the the pre-orders for Z3 begin?

tommyzai wrote:When will the the pre-orders for Z3 begin?
In about a year from now.

We went through quite a bit of unexpected trouble in the past half year and thus gave Bazille and Diva a higher priority while shifting Zebra3 back.

:cry:

Hi everyone!
Urs, if Z3 will have a performance section as in Z2, is it possible to implement a feature, which will allow to mark somehow sweet spots within XY pad?

Lioshik wrote:Hi everyone!
Urs, if Z3 will have a performance section as in Z2, is it possible to implement a feature, which will allow to mark somehow sweet spots within XY pad?
I'm not sure yet... my main focus is on oscillators, waveforms and a few other things.

We haven't talked about XYs yet, but I'm sure we will - sweet spots are one thing, others suggest some form of modulation even. It all depends on what's feasable by then, and how much energy is left to add those features.

Return to “u-he”