Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Ok then. Thought it might be usefull for someone.
Please excuse me for bothering and thanks for a reply!

Lioshik wrote:Ok then. Thought it might be usefull for someone.
Please excuse me for bothering and thanks for a reply!
No need for apologies! Suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

About suggestions ... would it be possible to add several different wave shapes to the FMO modules? Possibly even FMO wave-warping similar to Zebra2's current oscillator modules? :pray:
Something witty and insightful.

in Denial wrote:About suggestions ... would it be possible to add several different wave shapes to the FMO modules? Possibly even FMO wave-warping similar to Zebra2's current oscillator modules? :pray:

There are already some different waveshapes... look on the FMO page...

There are already some different waveshapes... look on the FMO page...
I'm aware of this. I was suggesting adding more wave-forms such as saws, triangles, squares and pulses. A customizable wave-warp feature, similar to Zebra's current oscillators, could change the shape of the modulation based off Zebra's massive modulation sources perhaps adding much character to the FMO module.
Something witty and insightful.

We might. But it would be a RAM eating function.

It may also be possible to use normal Oscillators for audio rate phase modulation (which is what DX-style FM is), which otoh would be more CPU draining than using FMOs.

There's also quite a bit of an argument behind the scenes about whether or not DX-style FM benefits from arbitrary waveforms other than sine. The opponents say that the disadvantages outweigh the benefits while at the same time "true FM" of the normal oscillators, be it exponential or linear, would fit the bill much better. I'll try to keep open minded and maybe settle with the grounds inbetween, such as adding an ACE-style tap-the-map function to FMOs.

As another point to improved distortion/waveshaping. I don't know, if Z3 will allow arbitrary user-defined waveshaping function, but if there will be hardbaked shapes only, I would appreciate more foldbacking functions, such as infinite sine, triangles and other.

Little experimenting with XMF's foldback, and also with external foldback distortions resulted in great creative tones, often very FMish (I always feeled that distortion is somewhat similar to FM of ring modulation in terms of sound and sidebands, it relates to the frequencies of harmonics of summed signals, but can't formulate more scientifically), often not, and often hybrid between fm and analogue style.

Any chance of a linux VST version?

I'd love to have some of the Valhalla Reverb models as FX modules in Z3. One can dream. ;)

Z3 will "defiantly" have an improved reverb module (or two).

Howard wrote:Z3 will "defiantly" have an improved reverb module (or two).
:tu: :clap:

bmrzycki wrote:
:tu: :clap:
Great to hear. :)

But perhaps the question still remains whether it (/ they) will sound as good as e.g. Vee3 (subjectively speaking, of course, ymmv). I don't think I would mind paying another $50 bucks for having Vee3 show up as a module inside u-he's plug-ins at all. That would seem to open up some possibilities that can't easily be achieved otherwise. So I'd love to see such a thing as well - in fact, I'd welcome any form of cooperation between my favourite developers.
bmrzycki wrote:I'd love to have some of the Valhalla Reverb models as FX modules in Z3. One can dream. ;)
Indeed. I have such a dream as well.

Now where is MLK when you need him? ;)

Am I missing something? What would the advantages be, rather than to use Valhalla as stand alone? Is it the possibility to save the reverb as part of a patch? Something else? From a CPU point of view it must be more efficient to use an aux send, assuming you want the same reverb on several synth channel. I'm not saying you are wrong. Just curious to see what I've missed.

In general, the advantage of a built in effect is that it can be automated via Zebra's LFO's, ENV's, MSEG's, Modmappers...

Also, because Zebra has multiple channels, you can also place other effects before(after) the reverb without changing the main sound. So you have the main channel sound, then you also send it to bus 1 where you can (for example) eq it before the reverb, then mix it back in and even automate the mix level (or the eq) with Zebra modulators. The Zebra effects section is rather powerful and can be easily saved with the preset.

Thank heavens for that :) :clap:

Return to “u-he”