Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

WolfKay wrote:
Urs wrote:The basic concepts of Zebra2 will remain nearly identical in Zebra 3. There will however be fundamentally new concepts that have been missing in the software world, or just weren't ever intuitive. We have to yet evaluate if these concepts will work, but in my mind I can spin a whole universe of expressive goodness
So, what about Zebrify?
Do you intend to release an FX version of Zebra3?
If so, do you plan to sell it with Zebra, just as now?
I, for certain, am ready to pay good money for an upgraded version of Zebrify that includes a good part of the mighty new features of Zebra3.
Or is it too early to discuss this part of the design?
I too love Zebrify. It's really underappreciated. I've really enjoyed the semi-modular environment for extraordinarily complex signal chains. I definitely wouldn't mind Zebrify getting a nip-tuck as well! :tu:

Yes, I think Zebrify is a secret weapon of choice for many people.
I like using tools such as MXXX, which is great, but I always come back to Zebrify anyway.
I can't wait to see Urs's take on a next-level semi-modular multi-FX.

WolfKay wrote:So, what about Zebrify?
It might be too early to discuss.

Various concepts are up for grabs:
  • Zebrify 3 (similar to what we got)
  • Audio Input for synths (high up on our todo list) paired with a monophonic/fx mode for Z3
  • "Zebra Singles" - many modules wrapped into their own little plug-in
  • "Zebra Minis" - a bunch of fx and synth plug-ins assembled from Zebra's parts
  • "Zebra Learning Tools" - same as Minis, but including tutorial function for selected concepts in Zebra 3
  • do nothing / postpone - concentrate on the synth, spend more time in betterness than variety
Each option has its own appeals, advantages and disadvantages. At this point of time I can not make out which one I prefer. Too much on my plate anyway.

Also, of course, if development of Zebra3 drags on forever and we run low on cash, we'll automatically go for the "postpone" option.

Does Zebra HZ will be also update to 2.8?

Ghislain2b wrote:Does Zebra HZ will be also update to 2.8?
Yes, but a bit later.

Zebra 2.8 looks great? Can't wait to try it!

Will there be any changes in arp/seq section?

Stan Navi wrote:Will there be any changes in arp/seq section?
No changes there - I'd rather put a lot more work in the new sequencer section for Zebra 3 :)

(actually, I think there's a large visual change, I think I totally forgot to demo that)

Urs wrote:
  • do nothing / postpone - concentrate on the synth, spend more time in betterness than variety
+1 vote from here!
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Urs wrote:Audio Input for synths (high up on our todo list) paired with a monophonic/fx mode for Z3
This sounds really good. If you're doing that kind of mono mode, it would also be cool to have an internal gate module or a sequencer that can trigger the envelopes for self-playing patches without incoming MIDI. I mean, since you're already going in a West Coast-y direction with some of the modules... :D

Also, how about LFO modules being used to produce gate signals for the envelopes, when they go high? Plus something internal to retrigger / resync the LFOs? And a way to quantize control sources (LFOs, msegs) to create pitch, run through a scale correction module? All of that stuff can be at control rate I figure... say, how about a mode or module where the output of a channel (vertical row in grid) can be converted to a control rate signal and routed back into the matrix? Dreaming in technicolor here. :hyper:

~Pd~ wrote:Dreaming in technicolor here.
I'm dreaming in the same colours.

I will be evaluating this stuff, but much of it depends on how usable it will be. If you look at Reaktor Blocks, I think NI had to find a lot of compromises, just look at the clones of Rene and Tempi - they're hard to "get" in the real world, so NI just stripped them down to an immediately usable level. I would love to add Gate & Quantize Heaven, but it might be hard to grasp in the context of Zebra, or anything without cables. That said, I will certainly try, and I am writing down these concepts as we speak.

If all goes well, there'll be so many surprising and fresh concepts in Zebra... I really can't wait :hyper:

I'm glad you're excited Urs ... it makes me even more excited :D

There's so much speculation and potential, I think you'd be money ahead,
and with happier customers, to do 3 or 4 paid interim releases, rather than
one Big Kahuna, much further down the (long and winding) road.

Interim releases would
1. generate income
2. keep users busy learning/using, rather than waiting
3. generate user data that could help direct and focus each subsequent release.
4. limit the opportunities of competitors to take the spotlight.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:There's so much speculation and potential, I think you'd be money ahead,
and with happier customers, to do 3 or 4 paid interim releases, rather than
one Big Kahuna, much further down the (long and winding) road.

Interim releases would
1. generate income
2. keep users busy learning/using, rather than waiting
3. generate user data that could help direct and focus each subsequent release.
4. limit the opportunities of competitors to take the spotlight.
Cheers
We have developed a lot of stuff in hindsight of Zebra 3 over the years, and we've put it in other stuff. A couple of examples:

- fast unison wavetable osc with detune laws (Hive)
- fast ZDF filters w/o analogue equivalents (Hive)
- fast ZDF filters with analogue equivalents (Repro-1)
- separate sequencer / arp combo (Hive, Repro-1)
- rewritten, more powerful ModMatrix (Hive, also in Repro)
- option to use MultiCore and ModMatrix (Repro-5)
- new stream-based voice management (Repro-5)
- faster UI open and resource management (Satin)
- faster and "smarter" UI draw (Zebra 2.8)
- cute scopes (Satin, Presswerk, Bazille)

So, in a way, we have done "interim release", but they were wrapped into products on their own right. Pretty much anything released past this thread was started has had its concepts questioned for "will this bring us closer to Z3?"

Unfortunately though, releasing stuff takes a vast amount of time and energy, no matter what. We might still release some stuff like Lyrebird Deluxe, JAWs Pro on the way and we'll continue to do updates of existing stuff... but I can't see any form of incremental release for Zebra 3.

Oh, there is a chance though for a small synth product, one which might help us test one or two of the novel concepts for Zebra 3. If we do end up doing a TwoVoice (or FourVoice) emulation, it might be on emphasize of some ideas I find very exciting, where the separate SEMs in such a synth represent Zebra's separate paths in the Grid. It would not necessarily be a strict emulation, but rather a vehicle to bring those concepts out for people to play. And generate some revenue.

However also, the Diva birthday sale in November has created a comfortable buffer, and Repro-1/5 is projected to go strong. Sascha and I might be able to fully focus on Z3 while Jan, Frank and William continue to run day business, work on framework extensions (Tagged preset browser etc.) and maybe work on the Cat on the side.

Return to “u-he”